Dumplings...

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Londonmail
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Dumplings...

Post by Londonmail »

Thanks, I will check some out...

I in general always have pork dumplings, I love them fried.

But Steamed are just as good..

I also like sui mai, ha gao, bao bun

I sell all types at home, so I'm always eaten them

Nice to try different ones :)
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Its Gyoza, not sui mai, not bao either nor is it ha gao or dim sum. Dumplings are called "gyoza" in putanghua, you zha (fried) or zheng shu (steamed) but Gyoza just the same. Chinese noodle up on Monivong between St 304 and 310 there now appear to be more than one chinese noodle, good gyoza can be had all around the city in these times. Any tweaker will tell you.....
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Newinkow »

If you are going to correct/criticize someone on their post, you better have your facts correct.

Dumplings is an general term used in SE Asia for different "dumplings". Gyoza are what they are called in Japan. For the Chinese they are called Potstickers. I think, don't hold me to it, the Vietnamese call it Boa. Every SE Asian country have their own version of a "dumplings".

As for the other stuff mentioned, they are dumplings, but not the type we are talking about. They are usually available on Dim Sum menus: Sui Mai, Haw Gao, pork buns (bao), etc. Lots of different varieties of "dumplings" are available for Dim Sum. Even Potstickers!
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I used to have Xiao Long Bao at emperors of china.

https://emperors-of-china.business.site/
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Newinkow wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:05 am I think, don't hold me to it, the Vietnamese call it Boa.
Bánh bao in Vietnamese.
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Newinkow »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:16 am I used to have Xiao Long Bao at emperors of china.

For a side note and fun fact.

When talking about Chinese "dumplings", there are many different types to be found in China.

The traditional dumplings at Dim Sum (Sui Mai, Haw Gao etc) are from Cantonese cuisine, southern china/Hong Kong. The Potstickers and Xiao Long Boa, also known as Soup Dumplings, are from Szechuan cuisine, northern China.

Most Dim Sum restaurants now a days have Both Potstickers and Xiao Long Boa on the menu also.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Newinkow wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:02 am
GMJS-CEO wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:16 am I used to have Xiao Long Bao at emperors of china.

For a side note and fun fact.

When talking about Chinese "dumplings", there are many different types to be found in China.

The traditional dumplings at Dim Sum (Sui Mai, Haw Gao etc) are from Cantonese cuisine, southern china/Hong Kong. The Potstickers and Xiao Long Boa, also known as Soup Dumplings, are from Szechuan cuisine, northern China.

Most Dim Sum restaurants now a days have Both Potstickers and Xiao Long Boa on the menu also.
I would contend that there is no such thing as "Chinese cuisine". It is such a vast country that it is better broken down by region.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

The common Chinese name for dumplings in Mandarin is 水餃, which is pronounced, "shuǐjiǎo," or, "sway jiow" ...they have big fat real ones in Taiwan full of plenty of pork... I found a place at the south end of TTP, run by Cambodians, only 6000 riel for ten. A lot of dough and chives, if a bit short on pork...tasty hot sauce anyway... Friendly very nice service... I'll go back and eat double another time...

~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Much of Taiwanese cuisine has strong Japanese influence. It was the ‘model’ Japanese colony for decades.

Even the rice looks and taste Japanese … because it is.

But Taiwanese like bigger, tastier (aka fried and richly sauced). Delicate Gyoza grows into potstickers, dainty sushi rolls get bigger and filled with shredded fried pork, eggs, spam, etc. Rice becomes fried and stuffed then wrapped in leaves and made into triangles.

I get hungry just reading following this thread.

But if anyone ever gets a chance to try dumplings with soup in them, please do. Eat them hot, don’t take them home.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Newinkow wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:05 am If you are going to correct/criticize someone on their post, you better have your facts correct.

Dumplings is an general term used in SE Asia for different "dumplings". Gyoza are what they are called in Japan. For the Chinese they are called Potstickers. I think, don't hold me to it, the Vietnamese call it Boa. Every SE Asian country have their own version of a "dumplings".

As for the other stuff mentioned, they are dumplings, but not the type we are talking about. They are usually available on Dim Sum menus: Sui Mai, Haw Gao, pork buns (bao), etc. Lots of different varieties of "dumplings" are available for Dim Sum. Even Potstickers!
Geez, not sure how I could have missed "potstickers" in my not so limited and not too long time in China when ordering dumplings. You are sorta correct if you are using Pinyin to talk about dumplings or potstickers as Jiaozi would be a better written translation using pinyin than my use of "Gyoza" which does look more like the Japanese word. Since I am not skilled in pinyin or hunza and I don't use all the accent and tone marks in my rough translations and because in spoken Chinese "Gyoza" is pronounced by cutting off the the last syllable sharply and that "z" is sounded out like "ts" with emphasis. Feel free to talk about bao all you like and dim sum too. In East China they only make Jiaozi at home during the Golden Week with no talk of bao or dim sum or haw gao.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic