30Yo Construction Worker Dies in his Sleep

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

30Yo Construction Worker Dies in his Sleep

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): At 7:30 am on January 17, 2023, in Tropang Thleung 1 village, Sangkat Choam Chao 1, Khan Por Senchey, a 30-year-old man, Kem Srieng, was found dead in a building site shelter for workers.

The deceased was an electrician who was working at the site. According to his coworkers, on the evening of January 16, 2023, the victim was seen drinking with some colleagues before he went to sleep. When he didn't come to work the next morning, the coworkers went to check on him and found him lying dead.
The police examined the body of the victim and concluded that he died from natural causes. The body was then given to the family for the funeral rites.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: 30Yo Construction Worker Dies in his Sleep

Post by Doc67 »

The police examined the body of the victim and concluded that he died from natural causes

Bollocks. The average policeman cannot tell the difference between a red and a green traffic light.

Natural causes are not a cause of death, it is a manner of death, i.e. natural. Cancer, heart disease, stroke etc are all naturally occurring diseases and these are described as natural as they progress to kill you in a natural manner. But the cause of death is the disease.

Without a proper autopsy a doctor cannot definitively determine the cause of death.

The sudden death of a 30 year old should always be properly determined, he could have had a genetic cardiac abnormality and his siblings might have the same.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:08 am
The police examined the body of the victim and concluded that he died from natural causes

Bollocks. The average policeman cannot tell the difference between a red and a green traffic light.

Natural causes are not a cause of death, it is a manner of death, i.e. natural. Cancer, heart disease, stroke etc are all naturally occurring diseases and these are described as natural as they progress to kill you in a natural manner. But the cause of death is the disease.

Without a proper autopsy a doctor cannot definitively determine the cause of death.

The sudden death of a 30 year old should always be properly determined, he could have had a genetic cardiac abnormality and his siblings might have the same.
Perhaps they mean they aren’t treating it as suspicious
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

violet wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:36 am

Of course they are not, they have released the body so it will be cremated within a few days. Any evidence of the actual cause of death, be it natural or not, will literally go up in smoke.

The bottom line here is that the government doesn't give a toss about the little people and won't invest in medical facilities to do basic work, like post mortems, to discover why a normal healthy 30-year-old dies in his sleep. Are they so incurious or am I right and they couldn't care less? Maybe they are scared of the ghosts.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:42 am

Of course they are not, they have released the body so it will be cremated within a few days. Any evidence of the actual cause of death, be it natural or not, will literally go up in smoke.

The bottom line here is that the government doesn't give a toss about the little people and won't invest in medical facilities to do basic work, like post mortems, to discover why a normal healthy 30-year-old dies in his sleep. Are they so incurious or am I right and they couldn't care less? Maybe they are scared of the ghosts.
Even in the UK there's only a post mortem or an inquest if a death is deemed suspicious

The cops determined it wasn't suspicious. Case closed. Burn the corpse before it stinks is the reason for the haste

Anyhow my money would be on dodgy rice wine
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I’d be asking a lot more questions regarding a young construction worker expiring in employee lodgings within the same construction. Site. Personal health issues, electric shock, poisoning (easy if there is welding/cutting) with prolonged exposure, to name a few possibilities. There are several construction sites around that have HSE type warnings up. “Work safely- your family are waiting for you”
I wonder what level of oversight really exists.*

Being seen to do the job, which is what many of the police appear to be concerned with if there group photos and selfies are anything to go by, is not nearly the same as actually doing the job.

*nearly a rhetorical question
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:06 am

Even in the UK there's only a post mortem or an inquest if a death is deemed suspicious

The cops determined it wasn't suspicious. Case closed. Burn the corpse before it stinks is the reason for the haste

A post-mortem is standard procedure when the cause of death is unknown. It does not require suspicious circumstances, which implies foul play. Unless you are dying in a hospice, if your death occurs outside a hospital and the cause is not clear (like under a bus) a post-mortem is likely to be ordered by the coroner.

A death certificate contains a cause of death and underlying causes and nobody can sign it off until they know these facts.

Any normal healthy 30-year-old who dies in his sleep at home would prompt a coroner to order one and no permission from next of kin is required.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:26 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:06 am

A post-mortem is standard procedure when the cause of death is unknown. It does not require suspicious circumstances, which implies foul play. Unless you are dying in a hospice, if your death occurs outside a hospital and the cause is not clear (like under a bus) a post-mortem is likely to be ordered by the coroner.

A death certificate contains a cause of death and underlying causes and nobody can sign it off until they know these facts.

Any normal healthy 30-year-old who dies in his sleep at home would prompt a coroner to order one and no permission from next of kin is required.
Not "at home" now though. Extremely hot tropical country with limited cold storage for corpses and forensic policework is in its infancy compared to E.U or former E.U nations

So they have a look, probably draw some urine to drug test. Talk to the people around the site and declare it "natural". Possibly the fellow was ill, maybe he had a bad ticker, maybe contaminated spirits, maybe too many cans of carabou...

While it's a sad end, and untimely, it's totally unrealistic to think that every cadaver can be bagged, iced and autopsied. Just in no way practical at all
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

I believe there is 1 forensic pathologist in Cambodia. In Phnom Penh of course.

The guy died of over drinking on the alcohol.

That’s my opinion.

Surprised it doesn’t happen more often.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:57 am I believe there is 1 forensic pathologist in Cambodia. In Phnom Penh of course.

The guy died of over drinking on the alcohol.

That’s my opinion.

Surprised it doesn’t happen more often.
But they say it was the wind.... :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic