What caused Kandal to flood?

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

What caused Kandal to flood?

Post by Kammekor »

A major flooding disrupted Kandal province, washing houses and crops away.

I heard many rumors about what happened but anyone can tell from the horse's mouth?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: What caused Kandal to flood?

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:18 pm A major flooding disrupted Kandal province, washing houses and crops away.

I heard many rumors about what happened but anyone can tell from the horse's mouth?
It rained like fuck for two days. Worse than wet season. Last week
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

A friend sent a photo they took of houses being washed away. Water levels in the river at the bottom of HS boulevard were the highest I have ever seen.

I can only guess a contributing factor is the loss of flood plains to capture and hold water for slow release. They have all been filled up with sand dredged from other rivers
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:45 pm
Kammekor wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:18 pm A major flooding disrupted Kandal province, washing houses and crops away.

From what I heard, and from the footage I have seen on phones, it looks like it wasn't caused by two days of (torrential) rain. It looked like someone opened some gates.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:15 pm

From what I heard, and from the footage I have seen on phones, it looks like it wasn't caused by two days of (torrential) rain. It looked like someone opened some gates.
Post up any footage if you can please, I haven't seen

When exactly did this happen?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:17 pm

That's the problem, I don't have footage, only saw footage on phones. And I am not on social media.

From what I heard it happened on the 15th.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

From anecdotes by folks who work in the region, the natural drainage may well have been interfered with quite a bit by farming, land reclamation etc. The gradient must be quite shallow, and flood waters will find their own path.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:21 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:17 pm

That's the problem, I don't have footage, only saw footage on phones. And I am not on social media.

From what I heard it happened on the 15th.
If it's the 15th it's certainly not related to last weeks unseasonal rain

Perhaps a gate was opened as you speculated, or a dam/levee failed
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:22 pm From anecdotes by folks who work in the region, the natural drainage may well have been interfered with quite a bit by farming, land reclamation etc. The gradient must be quite shallow, and flood waters will find their own path.

Shallow land, water finding it's path?

Two days of rain?

These are pictures I just googled.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:29 pm
Freightdog wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:22 pm From anecdotes by folks who work in the region, the natural drainage may well have been interfered with quite a bit by farming, land reclamation etc. The gradient must be quite shallow, and flood waters will find their own path.

Shallow land, water finding it's path?

Two days of rain?

These are pictures I just googled.
Ang Snuol district governor Khon Serey Ratha said the floodwaters had receded and there was no danger. He said that since Kampong Speu decided to open the sluice gate from January 12, water flooded into the canals in the district, this caused flooding in six villages.
from
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501220444/ ... nt-floods/

Jan 12th was the huge out of season rain I mentioned earlier

This being riceland they would be controlling water levels so if the canals flooded this could be a feasible explanation - especially since there often isn't this much water in January
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic