passport question

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: passport question

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:58 pm Being picky, I know
for outbound travel for less than 9.5 years
It always surprised me, the number of people who turn up at checkin with expired passports. I had always expected that checking one’s passport prior to travel would be a basic preparation.
The problem is in the word 'expired' I guess. Still 179 days before expiration but unable to travel.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:58 pm Being picky, I know
for outbound travel for less than 9.5 years
It always surprised me, the number of people who turn up at checkin with expired passports. I had always expected that checking one’s passport prior to travel would be a basic preparation.
I have reason to believe the young person in question is from the UK but I might be wrong. If so, it might also be worth figuring in the 18 week wait for UK passports these days. Brexit, yeah. Good luck with that. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
2sevensclash
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by 2sevensclash »

Yep the war in Ukraine, Covid, Nurses strikes, Floods in california etc ? all brexit :please:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Okay, the Brexit comment was unnecessarily cruel but what other country takes 18 weeks to deliver a passport to their subjects?
2sevensclash
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by 2sevensclash »

yawn
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Well I understand your boredom but I say good luck to her, hopefully she'll be able to travel in 2024.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

At least that's one problem I don't have. My passport is full after 2-3 years, so it doesn't expire. Not hailing from a failed state also helps - it takes me no longer than 2-3 weeks to get a new passport if and when needed.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Alex wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:32 am At least that's one problem I don't have. My passport is full after 2-3 years, so it doesn't expire. Not hailing from a failed state also helps - it takes me no longer than 2-3 weeks to get a new passport if and when needed.
Used to be after 3 years i'd need get an additional 50 pages added, those days are gone,
as i get older i travel less, (since Oct 2019 only been to Nepal and Cambodia) I will be renewing my 10 year passport next year with 14 months left on it an still 4-5 empty pages
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

2sevensclash wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:12 amyawn
I applied for a replacement UK passport on October 10th and received it on December 8th in Phnom Penh, so 8 weeks. I have heard stories of 12+ weeks, so maybe I was lucky. They advise the process can take up to 16 weeks.

If your niece is thinking of applying while traveling, be prepared for 16 weeks in one place - once you apply you cannot use your old passport.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

You require a minimum of 6 months validity remaining on your passport when you enter Cambodia, whether entering with an e-Visa or Visa on Arrival.

But...to apply for a Visa Extension of Stay, then you must have at least 6 months validity remaining on your passport from the date the EOS you are applying for will expire ie. If applying for a 12 mth EOS then you need a minimum 18 months passport validity.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic