Phnom Penh Museum Director Denies Corruption Allegations

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Phnom Penh Museum Director Denies Corruption Allegations

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

January 17, 2023
Museum head alleged to have embezzled ticket sale revenue
Officials at the National Museum of Phnom Penh have lodged a complaint with the Anti-Corruption Unit, accusing the museum’s director of embezzling state income from ticket revenue.

According to the complaint submitted to Top Sam, President of the National Anti-Corruption Council and Om Yentieng, President of the Anti-Corruption Unit, dated 2 January, stating Chhay Visoth, director of the museum, a department of the Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts, was involved in corruption and the museum management was irregular and prejudice.

The complaint also alleged Visoth committed corruption by taking money from the sales revenue from tickets at the National Museum in Phnom Penh, approximately $36,380 per month from January to December 2022, a yearly equivalent of $436,560.

The complaint further added that the acts committed by Visoth are corrupt and he has used his relationship with powerful officials to oppress and abuse subordinates with threats.

Visoth, Director of the National Museum Department said yesterday, “I completely reject the accusation of corruption and embezzling money from the state. If there is clear evidence of the allegations against me, I will happily appear at the ACU, because I have nothing to fear, so presently I am waiting to hear from the ACU.”

Long Buna Sereivuth, spokesman for the Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts said yesterday, “He did not want to comment on this case as he waiting for the outcome of the investigation by the ACU.”
He added, “The accusation by the ministry officials does not confirm if Chhay Visoth is involved in corruption or the allegations that he is in collusion with a high ranking official in the ministry of culture, they are just rumours.”
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501220491/ ... e-revenue/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Phnom Penh Museum Director Denies Corruption Allegations

Post by Doc67 »

According to the complaint submitted to Top Sam, President of the National Anti-Corruption Council

Surely a candidate for the KOW Top Bloke award?

But seriously ,

The complaint also alleged Visoth committed corruption by taking money from the sales revenue from tickets at the National Museum in Phnom Penh, approximately $36,380 per month from January to December 2022, a yearly equivalent of $436,560.

I have never seen anyone going in or out, and last year was not exactly a busy year for tourists. I am amazed it takes more than $100 a day, but this guy is stealing over $1000 a day? How much does he leave for the state coffers? All the 100 Riel notes?

Admission costs are $5 for foreigner ages from 10 to 17 years old, $10 for foreigner ages from 18 years old up , 500 riels for Cambodians. Children and school groups are free.

http://www.cambodiamuseum.info/en_infor ... itors.html
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic