FAMILY man in Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: FAMILY man in Cambodia

Post by BklynBoy »

anyone have thoughts on if the mixed kids who speak/write khmer and fluent English-- Can they move up in a position at whichever Western Embassy the other parent is from?

I was assuming if person is fluent in khmer and can write khmer AND also fluent in English-- They would be valuable. Or am i mistaken?
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

BklynBoy wrote:I was assuming if person is fluent in khmer and can write khmer AND also fluent in English-- They would be valuable. Or am i mistaken?
They would be valuable to Cambodian companies and international companies that work in Cambodia. Missus’ best friend’s cousin majored in Japanese law.

Don’t embassy workers have to pass civil servant exams?
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:29 am
BklynBoy wrote:I was assuming if person is fluent in khmer and can write khmer AND also fluent in English-- They would be valuable. Or am i mistaken?
They would be valuable to Cambodian companies and international companies that work in Cambodia. Missus’ best friend’s cousin majored in Japanese law.

Don’t embassy workers have to pass civil servant exams?
You may be right but my thought process was about job opportunities/careers for kids who are mixed and are fluent. I assumed it would be a good fit. On other hand probably not too many opportunites but may be good if got in
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
JReb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by JReb »

Have you seen what schools outside of Cambodia are producing? Have you seen what they are teaching?
Home school...on line..
Keep your kids away from these public mind control places.
When I was in school we learned the basics.
If you think sending your kids away is a good idea...why did you have them?
The leftist insanity I see is sure not what I would want my kid studying... poor bastards...what a choice for parents these days.
I cannot imagine my kids being taught the junk they teach now.
It is like you just pumped babies out and now you realize you have to educate them..
Good luck with the world in chaos sending your kid off to learn to be a sheeple...yikes
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

JReb wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:38 am Have you seen what schools outside of Cambodia are producing? Have you seen what they are teaching?
Home school...on line..
Keep your kids away from these public mind control places.
When I was in school we learned the basics.
If you think sending your kids away is a good idea...why did you have them?
The leftist insanity I see is sure not what I would want my kid studying... poor bastards...what a choice for parents these days.
I cannot imagine my kids being taught the junk they teach now.
It is like you just pumped babies out and now you realize you have to educate them..
Good luck with the world in chaos sending your kid off to learn to be a sheeple...yikes
How is any of your rant relevant to the topic?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

A couple of points I think are worth noting:

- a lot of what kids learn in school is from their peers; western schools tend to have children from a range of backgrounds and this gives them access to a much wider variety of society. Top-end international schools, while arguably having more mixed nationality cohorts, they are almost by default, from the upper-exhelons of society. Lots of rich kids, basically

- excepting again the top-end international schools, western schools tend to actively encourage interests and hobbies and have clubs for a huge range of pursuits.

- I don't know about other countries, but if you are not resident in the UK for the three years preceding entry to university, you are liable for international fees (even if you are a British citizen). It also means you are ineligible for access to student loans - 3 years is a long time to wait at 18 and the costs of funding international fees is significantly, significantly higher.

- western schools provide exams that are internationally recognised and have equivalence. Only 2 or 3 schools in Cambodia are able to provide this, even if lots put 'international school' in their titles.

In no way am I detracting from anyone who schools their children in Cambodia - just trying to chuck a few more considerations into the mix.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Is there any way to check on these international schools here ?
I got my kid in one and all the teachers are from the philipines .
He’s going on six next month and has been in there 3 years allready .
They have a website but no reviews like on trip advisor .
I was told to go check out the “ SHINE ‘ school
From Singapore by the name . I parked in front one day and all the kids looked like they were soldiers
Looked like no fun at all , too serious
Now there are a ton of choices closer to me but nowhere do I see any comparison or reason to change
He can bite kids where he goes now and they don’t kick him out , so they adopted him as part of thier family

I want to do the best for the kid but how can a guy find out which school is worth all the money they charge ?
The kid is dam lucky I can easily afford all the money it costs to go to nursery school
They don’t even provide drinking water , i got to send him everyday with a water bottle ,
carton of milk and a few snack cakes for break time .
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

A few points not necessarily about Cambodia, but mix race kids & international schools

Regarding Philippine teachers, my daughter 1st attended the Montessori school in phuket and after a year pulled her cause of the Philippine teachers constantly mispronouncing english words.

She than attended a British school where we found there was a caste system in place,
(Pure Thai's, half Thai's, full Farangs) plus 25+ kids/class, Great sports facilities but the teachers all seemed to be recent graduates ( average age was around 25) with teaching credentials vs BA's or higher degrees.

5 of us parent's ( with 9 kids age 9-12 ) started a sort of homeschool and hired 3 teachers, lasted a year but felt she was missing out on to much an not getting enough proper schooling

She than went to a public school for year 8 in the states, but she returned to finish in Thailand as my sister, where she was staying, an her were like oil and water

Her last 4 year's were at QSI ( American curriculum) ( more experienced teachers, (many had Masters or even phd's), 8+ kid's/class, more individual learning) which has school's all over the world an she loved it and thrived.

1st year in University was in Ca as a Out of state student (I held Ca residency but she didn't) Dam expensive
after 1 year thou she got her Ca residency ( in Ca ur allowed to obtain residency while in school, not all states allow this)

she used to tell me how immature her classmates were. :-)

Picking schools is a real headache and what appears great on first impression, is not always true

As to those kids educated abroad ( university) but returning back to work, I found that the friends of hers that returned, got great jobs BUT were paid only slightly more than a local, even thou they were educated abroad and fluent english speakers and no where near what a Farang would have been paid, a real catch for employer.

The Best thing you can do for ur child is provide the best education for her/him which will later offer more choices in life. its not easy

Now working a great job from home with great benefits and loves America
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

pissontheroof wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:28 am Is there any way to check on these international schools here ?
I got my kid in one and all the teachers are from the philipines .
He’s going on six next month and has been in there 3 years allready .
They have a website but no reviews like on trip advisor .
I was told to go check out the “ SHINE ‘ school
From Singapore by the name . I parked in front one day and all the kids looked like they were soldiers
Looked like no fun at all , too serious
Now there are a ton of choices closer to me but nowhere do I see any comparison or reason to change
He can bite kids where he goes now and they don’t kick him out , so they adopted him as part of thier family

I want to do the best for the kid but how can a guy find out which school is worth all the money they charge ?
The kid is dam lucky I can easily afford all the money it costs to go to nursery school
They don’t even provide drinking water , i got to send him everyday with a water bottle ,
carton of milk and a few snack cakes for break time .
There are currently 17 Cambridge accredited schools in Phnom Penh according to https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/ ... ge-school/

They have a nice chap, from Singapore I believe, who makes regular checkups to ensure that schools maintain quality.

Now, I have just re-read your post before hitting the "Submit" button and I notice you say "He can bite kids where he goes now and they don’t kick him out , so they adopted him as part of thier family"

This is a serious behavioral issue that should not be allowed to persist. I would be very concerned with the statement " He can bite kids where he goes now" as that implies a reluctance on the part of the school to address the biting issue. They may be reluctant to work with the parents to find a way to stop this behavior which begs the question, why would they be reluctant to work with the parents?
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

There are currently 17 Cambridge accredited schools in Phnom Penh according to https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/ ... ge-school/

They have a nice chap, from Singapore I believe, who makes regular checkups to ensure that schools maintain quality.

Now, I have just re-read your post before hitting the "Submit" button and I notice you say "He can bite kids where he goes now and they don’t kick him out , so they adopted him as part of thier family"

This is a serious behavioral issue that should not be allowed to persist. I would be very concerned with the statement " He can bite kids where he goes now" as that implies a reluctance on the part of the school to address the biting issue. They may be reluctant to work with the parents to find a way to stop this behavior which begs the question, why would they be reluctant to work with the parents?
[/quote]

i wouldnt live in phomnom pig pen if it was free and they passed out free dope
[ free ho-ho’s , friholes , maybe ] 😉😉
and cambridge mean nothing to me , im an american ,
or was until that fucktard biden came alomg ..
im going to hawaii , but i like it here and will be back i hope ,
taking the little one to usa to get some business done .
if he is stupid as the locals hers at age 10 i will consider taking him to school in hawaii
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic