Café Wine O'clock (delivery)

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Café Wine O'clock (delivery)

Post by hanno »

Café Wine O'clock

456 Street (cannot find the house number anywhere)

Food: 5/5
Value for money: 4.5/5

I have not visited the physical venue yet, though that is surely just a matter of time. They apparently have a good selection of cold cuts and cheeses, and the German in me craves that stuff.

Last week I had the Coppa and goat cheese Bruschetta with basil. With added toppings, pickles and mustard, it came to a rather steep $9.40. After placing the order I was worried that I got ripped off, but when the Bruschetta arrived, it was packed with Coppa and and goat cheese; they are not stingy when it comes to filling their sandwiches! After placing the original order, there is a huge list of options including different kinds of bread, additional cheese, additional cold cuts/ham, loads of toppings, etc. I think it would be easy building a $30 sandwich.

Today I passed Tell when coming back from a haircut. I would have eaten there, but when I walked in the place was deserted and I couldn't find any staff. None of the other restaurants nearby (Bassac Lane area) really took my fancy; it is bloody hot today, and I ended up walking back to the hotel. With my brain half fried, I could only think of ordering a sandwich. I went for the Parisian "Jambon-beurre" with additional Brie cheese, pickles, jalapenos, and mustard. Whole thing set me back $10.70 but, again, it was bloody good.

The sandwich looks small in this picture, it is not:

The only small gripe I have is that they charge extra for the mustard. The other stuff I can understand, but mustard is an integral part of a sandwich.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Re: Café Wine O'clock (delivery)

Post by Darkcel »

The physical location is Wine Cafe, amazing selection of cheeses and meats in the store.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

10 dollars for a sandwich, i ll prefere eat in the buffet-station buffet, its not a fancy buffet as happy family but cheaper then a sandwich . . .
MDB
Expatriate
Canada

Post by MDB »

A bit bizarre why people that pretend to be foodies can't actually make their own sandwiches?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

MDB wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:24 pm A bit bizarre why people that pretend to be foodies can't actually make their own sandwiches?
1. I do not "pretend to be a foodie", this is the "Getting Your Fill Thread". In case you haven't read the description:
Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it!
2. Cooking, or even making a sandwich, is a little hard when you live in a hotel room.

3. Why do some posters just have to criticize everything. Don't like a topic? Move on.
MDB
Expatriate
Canada

Post by MDB »

hanno wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:12 am
MDB wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:24 pm A bit bizarre why people that pretend to be foodies can't actually make their own sandwiches?
1. I do not "pretend to be a foodie", this is the "Getting Your Fill Thread". In case you haven't read the description:
Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it!
2. Cooking, or even making a sandwich, is a little hard when you live in a hotel room.

3. Why do some posters just have to criticize everything. Don't like a topic? Move on.
I apologise. I had no idea you were stuck living in a hotel room. That must be hell on Earth.
I feel for you.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

MDB wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:45 pm

I apologise. I had no idea you were stuck living in a hotel room. That must be hell on Earth.
I feel for you.
Tbf the ingredients they use would cost the average person about 100 bucks just to make a sandwich, their products are top notch. Swing by one day and I promise you'll agree with me.
MDB
Expatriate
Canada

Post by MDB »

I am a big fan of Paul's place and consider him to be a friend.
I doubt even he, over the dozen beers each we could imbibe discussing the matter, could insist that $100 of ingredients went into a $10 sandwich.
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

I am addicted to the food of this place. Have bought take away and dine in, but I never used the delivery service. I feel quite pity for the delivery guys, which are strictly kept out of the place. I do get the point, that there is very limited space and they can not afford them to linger around there and play with their phones until the food is ready, but still...
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

I agree about 2 and 3. But its not hard to make a good sandwich even in a hotel room.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic