Uk to Thailand (one way ticket)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Uk to Thailand (one way ticket)

Post by phuketrichard »

2sevensclash wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:10 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:17 am with a visa i'd say 50% chance of being asked, looking to enter using visa exempt 90% chance .

for piece of mind get a refundable onward ticket out of Thailand ( less then $100 bangkok-pp) or a throw away ticket (les than$60_
or use, https://bookonwardticket.com/
Has anybody used the onward ticket site is it reliable ?
yes, used it in Nov to thailand
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
2sevensclash
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by 2sevensclash »

I am curious how they do it. Are the tickets genuine but cancelled ?
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

I suggest they book an onward flight to Phnom Penh and use it, skipping Thailand altogether. :bigeyes:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

2sevensclash wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:43 pm I am curious how they do it. Are the tickets genuine but cancelled ?
With many airlines you can reserve the ticket for 24-48 hours. So these websites just reserve a ticket under your name for NN hours and then cancel it for free.

For example Thai Airways you can book ticket and select pay later (24 hours in their case).
Pay later
Passenger(s) can select “Pay later” to hold the booking for 24 hrs without fee. To do the payment, please retrieve the booking at Manage My Booking and pay it by credit card only. In case full payment is not made by the expiry date and time(24hrs), the reservation will automatically cancelled.
Drizzle
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Drizzle »

Alex wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:08 am
Drizzle wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:07 am Thats exactly why im asking.
UK* not UJ
Is an onward ticket to PP enough to pass the UK check in counter?
An onward ticket to anywhere is fine.
Thanks
Drizzle
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Drizzle »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:04 am :snorting:
Drizzle wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:30 am My friend is heading from the UJ to Thailand then to KH.
Does anyone know if they need to have a thai visa to enter Thailand due to only having the one way ticket?
My guess is the UK is in the Thai visa exemption scheme so no visa is required for short stays.
Yeah thai immigration dont bother investigating much. I remember a while back i got a one way to BKK and had trouble checking in on the UK side. I can't remember how i resolved it.
That was a few years back though
Drizzle
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Drizzle »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:10 am
Drizzle wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:30 am My friend is heading from the UJ to Thailand then to KH.
Does anyone know if they need to have a thai visa to enter Thailand due to only having the one way ticket?
The title of the thread, and the first post are slightly at odds.

Is this a trip with a stay in Bangkok, with a flight already booked from Bangkok to KH (Cambodia?)
or
a trip to Cambodia(?) connecting through in Bangkok?
Its a flight to BKK exit immigration spend 4/5 days in TH.
Then a separate flight here to PP.
UK to PP flights are ridiculously expensive with alot of stop overs.
Drizzle
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Drizzle »

rogerrabbit wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:27 pm
2sevensclash wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:43 pm I am curious how they do it. Are the tickets genuine but cancelled ?
With many airlines you can reserve the ticket for 24-48 hours. So these websites just reserve a ticket under your name for NN hours and then cancel it for free.

For example Thai Airways you can book ticket and select pay later (24 hours in their case).
Pay later
Passenger(s) can select “Pay later” to hold the booking for 24 hrs without fee. To do the payment, please retrieve the booking at Manage My Booking and pay it by credit card only. In case full payment is not made by the expiry date and time(24hrs), the reservation will automatically cancelled.
Oh yeah.
Or you used to be able to buy a ticket online and pay at 7/11 in TH. Not sure if this would be useful atall.
Drizzle
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Drizzle »

So just to be clear I was asking, what documents are sufficient to pass the check in counter in the UK (with a uk passport) only traveling with a one way ticket.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Drizzle wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:26 pm So just to be clear I was asking, what documents are sufficient to pass the check in counter in the UK (with a uk passport) only traveling with a one way ticket.
It depends. They may ask for nothing beyond your passport. Thailand has no requirement of anything more. But some airlines want proof of return or onward travel just in case the IOs at BKK think you're a deadbeat. If they do (the airline I mean), you may well be able to talk them out of it by pointing the above, showing a wad of cash etc. Richard showed you how to get a verifiable booking for $10. Or buy a cheap air asia ticket flying any time within 45 days of your arrival. I got a ticket Hat Yai to KL once for $10.

For your UK-Thailand ticket, you can play around on this site, https://www.headforpoints.com/2017/03/1 ... om-europe/
You can enter a bunch of different departure cities to see the best deals. Don't forget to add on the price of your feeder flight and maybe overnight pre-flight stay. If you miss your connection, you've got to pay again. But the flights out of mainland Europe can be a lot cheaper than out of London.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic