Kathmandu Kitchen

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Kathmandu Kitchen

Post by hanno »

Stravaiger wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:35 am
hanno wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:26 am
orichá wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:12 am When they start charging 2 dollars for naan and 2 dollars for chai tea, it's time to skip it I'm afraid... The price gouging at Indian restos in Cambo is atrocious. I guess it's the surplus staff that causes it, because the boss don't want to do any work, and that includes not bothering to clean the kitchen, yikes!

... In India you can eat a generous breakfast for 75 cents, and they refill your rice/dal for free!
I guess we are not in India. I find restaurants generally quite expensive here, but I guess rents are high. And end of the day, I still need to eat.
Agreed. A fairer comparison might be with Saigon. My regular choice for Indian-style is the Taj Mahal on the infernal Bui Vien. Sample prices are vegetable pakora $2, bhuna mutton $5, naan $1, mango lassi $1.50, all superior to Coriander and Kathmandu Kitchen in my experience. And the rents here top anything in Phnom Penh.

And yes, I agree about Bui Vien, but I hide inside the resto and go for the food.

The only time I have found properly risen naan in SEA (it was in Phnom Penh) was at a hole-in-the-wall place called Qamar where they came freeflow with the $3 buffet, soft as pillows.
I have eaten in a lot of Indian restaurants in Hanoi and prices are similar to Kathmandu Kitchen. The only one that is considerably cheaper is "Eat List".
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

hanno wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:17 pm I have eaten in a lot of Indian restaurants in Hanoi and prices are similar to Kathmandu Kitchen. The only one that is considerably cheaper is "Eat List".
There may be more competition here in Saigon. I just checked another menu and naan was 15k (about 65 cents).
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

hanno wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:17 pm
Stravaiger wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:35 am
hanno wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:26 am
orichá wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:12 am When they start charging 2 dollars for naan and 2 dollars for chai tea, it's time to skip it I'm afraid... The price gouging at Indian restos in Cambo is atrocious. I guess it's the surplus staff that causes it, because the boss don't want to do any work, and that includes not bothering to clean the kitchen, yikes!

... In India you can eat a generous breakfast for 75 cents, and they refill your rice/dal for free!
I guess we are not in India. I find restaurants generally quite expensive here, but I guess rents are high. And end of the day, I still need to eat.
Agreed. A fairer comparison might be with Saigon. My regular choice for Indian-style is the Taj Mahal on the infernal Bui Vien. Sample prices are vegetable pakora $2, bhuna mutton $5, naan $1, mango lassi $1.50, all superior to Coriander and Kathmandu Kitchen in my experience. And the rents here top anything in Phnom Penh.

And yes, I agree about Bui Vien, but I hide inside the resto and go for the food.

The only time I have found properly risen naan in SEA (it was in Phnom Penh) was at a hole-in-the-wall place called Qamar where they came freeflow with the $3 buffet, soft as pillows.
I have eaten in a lot of Indian restaurants in Hanoi and prices are similar to Kathmandu Kitchen. The only one that is considerably cheaper is "Eat List".
Many of the spices and specific ingredients aren't exactly Khmer staples so they are more expensive to buy by far than anywhere near the Indian subcontinent

A few years ago I had a number of Indian staff imported and we did a bi-monthly shop at Cambay Provisions for their largely vegetarian diets. It was more expensive than any food supplies bought for all other staff and didn't include the vegetable haul that we got from the market separately

That said, Indian food has been slowly and steadily getting cheaper in Cambodia. I remembe Mount Everest on Siahnouk years ago was one of my favourite places and 13/14 years back a rice, naan, appetizer, main and a lassi would be pushing $16/18 at least

Now with much, much more competition many places are offering $3/5 for most main meals unless an expensive meat

IN Kampot there's a fellow doing a butter chciken with two chapati for $3, great value and very tasty but not quite as good a $6 butter chicken from somewhere in PP
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Stravaiger wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:32 pm
hanno wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:17 pm I have eaten in a lot of Indian restaurants in Hanoi and prices are similar to Kathmandu Kitchen. The only one that is considerably cheaper is "Eat List".
There may be more competition here in Saigon. I just checked another menu and naan was 15k (about 65 cents).
TripAdvisor list 64 Indian restaurants in both cities.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic