Windows machines and portable hard drive compatibility

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Windows machines and portable hard drive compatibility

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:35 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:32 pm FAT32 drives can cause trouble with Windows computers, better use a NFTS drive.
If you mean NTFS, I thought about that being the issue. I have absolutely no need of an NTFS drive, though. And this drive that I have has worked fine elsewhere, across many machines. Just not in Cambodia.
I’ve bought a USB stick and am going to try that.
Yes, sorry. Be careful with the stick when you get it back. COVID isn't the only virus to worry about in Cambodia.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^^ Format the USB stick in NTFS format.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I wouldn't attach any hard drive to another person's computer that might be infested with all kinds of malware. Using Telegram is a much better option. If the contents of this file aren't private or sensitive in any way, you could also upload it to any kind of online storage that gives you a link, then you could just send them that link in Telegram to download the file.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I haven’t considered this for sometime- previous versions of Mac could only read, not write, NTFS.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Alex wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:41 pm I wouldn't attach any hard drive to another person's computer that might be infested with all kinds of malware.
Yes, the computers in print shops are particularly bad for viruses.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:18 pm
Alex wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:41 pm I wouldn't attach any hard drive to another person's computer that might be infested with all kinds of malware.
It’s funny that you mention that. Near simultaneously with having connected that drive with several print shops that could not connect to the drive, I’ve received a couple of virus company marketing style emails reminding me to update my Moccafee, etc subscription. Connected? Who knows, but I’m suspicious of such coincidence.

The technical answer to my hard drive question may be power.
My portable HDD is an early gen drive with the USB3.1

I have never yet had an issue with it, but there’s a very vague recollection about data transfer stressing the power requirements. Ostensibly, the USB specification is maintained. Just stretched a little. Roll on USB C….
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:02 pm
John Bingham wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:18 pm
It’s funny that you mention that. Near simultaneously with having connected that drive with several print shops that could not connect to the drive, I’ve received a couple of virus company marketing style emails reminding me to update my Moccafee, etc subscription. Connected? Who knows, but I’m suspicious of such coincidence.

The technical answer to my hard drive question may be power.
My portable HDD is an early gen drive with the USB3.1

I have never yet had an issue with it, but there’s a very vague recollection about data transfer stressing the power requirements. Ostensibly, the USB specification is maintained. Just stretched a little. Roll on USB C….
If it's a classic drive with platters you might need an adapter (2 x USB to 1x) to kickstart it.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:35 pm
Freightdog wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:27 pm I was getting an error message file too big. I presumed it was a limitation.

Not that it really matters, as the file has some confidential information which I really don’t want downloaded to someone else’s computer.
If this is really an issue I would buy a 59$ printer and print it myself. Also eliminates the (high!!!) odds of your HD coming back with a virus.
To be frank, I do wish I’d simply done that in the first place. Finding a colour printer at that price though- Where?
In hindsight, I’d have just brought a spare printer from Europe. Next time…
If it's a classic drive with platters you might need an adapter (2 x USB to 1x) to kickstart it.
A powered hub might have done it.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:15 pm
To be frank, I do wish I’d simply done that in the first place. Finding a colour printer at that price though- Where?
Virtually everywhere I guess.

https://pacific.com.kh/khm/product/hp-d ... d2330pt45/

https://laymengcomputer.com/product/pri ... opyink-63/

Prices starting @ 40$. I wouldn't bother about bringing one from afar, also because sometimes the cartridges aren't compatible. That might open a new can of worms for you but at least requires a check before bringing one in.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic