Environmental Issues in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
EcoSense-Cambodia
Tourist

Environmental Issues in Cambodia

Post by EcoSense-Cambodia »

Hi everyone, we have been designing a survey to gather information on the behavior, habits and views of the inhabitants of Phnom Penh, concerning the environment.
The information collected will be used to support research into a developing project.This project focuses primarily on integrating alternative solutions to relieve and counteract the damaging environmental effect of the abundant use of plastic bags and polystyrene packaging.
If you're worried about our environment (or not), your opinion is of great interest to us! Our questionnaire will only take a few minutes of your time to complete. We look forward to hearing your viewpoint.
Thanks!

Please clic on the link below :

https://www.facebook.com/pages/EcoSense ... 5102528120

Thanks everyone ;)
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Re: Environmental Issues in Cambodia

Post by Samouth »

Done. For the sake of Cambodia. I also added my email. Looking forward to participate in this.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
EcoSense-Cambodia
Tourist

That s brillant Samouth, much appreciated ... we will keep you posted ! Cheers
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

Done.

Plastic bags should be outlawed.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

As nice as it sounds, I think this is more of a Marketing attempt to introduce a new product disguised to make people believe it will then be ok to throw their trash everywhere.

Why doesn't somebody do something about educating the masses, slowly but surely, about why they shouldn't throw trash everywhere.

Something like the very successful 'Clean Up Australia Day'. Which, over many years, re-educated the people to stop throwing trash. I'm sure the heavy fines probably helped.

C'mon someone, take up the challenge!

CLEAN UP CAMBODIA DAY

But, it will never happen because all the volunteers will be looking for kickbacks and just turn it into farce.
Kampong Spooner
Expatriate

Post by Kampong Spooner »

Something good to come out of Nigeria:

Lagos sanitation day.
Cookin' MCs like a pound o'bacon
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Username Taken wrote:As nice as it sounds, I think this is more of a Marketing attempt to introduce a new product disguised to make people believe it will then be ok to throw their trash everywhere.

Why doesn't somebody do something about educating the masses, slowly but surely, about why they shouldn't throw trash everywhere.

Something like the very successful 'Clean Up Australia Day'. Which, over many years, re-educated the people to stop throwing trash. I'm sure the heavy fines probably helped.

C'mon someone, take up the challenge!

CLEAN UP CAMBODIA DAY

But, it will never happen because all the volunteers will be looking for kickbacks and just turn it into farce.
I've often thought that would be a good idea if someone could organize it.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I first posted this:
Don't be too cynical UT. I'm sure I've seen some canal cleanups in the news from time to time. Not often and not enough, but IMO that is the way to go; nothing like cleaning up other people's shit to put you off littering.

IMO there are two big reasons for the rubbish problems in Cambodia - accessibility to appropriate treatment and recycling of rubbish, and lack of awareness among the population (who throw anything everywhere.) I think that people are becoming more aware about rubbish, but if there's no followup from the authorities then you don't have much choice about where you dump your used oil , batteries, bottles etc.

As for this eco-company - well, if it gets people thinking about their behaviour then that's a small step in the right direction, right ?

Edit and corrective post: Looks like you were right to be cynical UT. This is marketing from a big international chemical company: DOW CHEMICALS.

Co was registered in France in Feb 2015 : http://fr.domain-kb.com/www/ecosense-cambodia.com
Belongs to Dow Chemicals: http://www.dow.com/en-us/markets-and-so ... osense919/
And selling "eco-friendly" chemicals : http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedLite ... age=GetDoc

For those who don't know Dow Chemicals is the world's second biggest chemical manufacturer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dow_Chemical_Company
and is the proud owner of the Bhopal- Union Carbide disaster site in India where thousands lost their lives due to chemical/gas poisoning.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhopal_disaster
And since they took over the Bhopal site, Dow Chemical looks totally unethical to say the least.
Monitoring of Bhopal activists
A release of an email cache related to intelligence research organisation Stratfor was leaked by WikiLeaks on 27 February 2012.[86] It revealed that Dow Chemical had engaged Stratfor to spy on the public and personal lives of activists involved in the Bhopal disaster, including the Yes Men. E-mails to Dow representatives from hired security analysts list the YouTube videos liked, Twitter and Facebook posts made and the public appearances of these activists.[87] Stratfor released a statement condemning the revelation by Wikileaks while neither confirming nor denying the accuracy of the reports, and would only state that it had acted within the bounds of the law. Dow Chemical also refrained to comment on the matter
My conclusion: I WOULDN'T TOUCH THESE GUYS WITH A TOILET BRUSH.
They are the ultimate arseholes. And thx UT for getting me on track.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Thanks AM, so should we try to get some kind of ball rolling for 'CLEAN UP CAMBODIA DAY'? Or wait for someone else? (That question is open to everyone).
EcoSense-Cambodia
Tourist

Dear Username Taken,

Thanks for taking part of the conversation.

A quick introduction about us, after working many years in uninterresting jobs, we choose to leave everything to change lifestyle and do something we feel usefull in and we believe in, something which would match our values.

Offering alternatives to styrfoam and plastic, is only a small side of what we attend to do (and becoming a massive trading company is not part of it).

The biggest part of our activity is to try to sensitize the masses.Informing, educating campains and actions will be organised especially with the young generations.

For info : we are sponsorizing a young local student group called "Cambodia Green Will" and also their event :

We invite everyone to take part of it or share the info.

We believe more in educating people than punishing them ( refering to your heavy fine suggestion ) specailly when we come from a western country where the recycling didnt exist 20 years ago.

The aim in our project is (on our small level) to be even a tiny part of an ecologycal transition which takes time to occure.

Hoping to take the challenge together and to see you a saturday morning to pick the rubbish with us, there will always be a pair of gloves extra ;) .

Best regards.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic