Environmental Issues in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
EcoSense-Cambodia
Tourist

Re: Environmental Issues in Cambodia

Post by EcoSense-Cambodia »

Anchor Moy wrote:You are right. I should not have gone in so hard.
I am tetu like a mule.I apologise and I will try to clean this up.
Well, we could not expect a better reaction from you :)
Thank you for your understanding, and thx for cleaning up.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

I think you were right to be skeptical.
To the OP
So to be clear are there two unconnected organisations using the "trademark" ecosense, is this correct?

EcoSense™

EcoSense™ are bio-based surfactants for rinse-off applications.
marketed by Dow chemicals http://www.dow.com/en-us/markets-and-so ... osense919/

And

ecosense-cambodia

The EcoSense Cambodia project is not limited to the single initiative of distributing high quality biodegradable packaging. With the support of our partners and voluntary organisations, we want to develop environmental awareness amongst the population of Cambodia and coordinate further preventative measures. The organisation of regular rubbish-picking sessions is one example. Our goal is to gradually make the population become aware of the ecological issues around them and the importance of preserving the environment and in doing so, to participate in positive ecological change in Cambodia.https://www.facebook.com/pages/EcoSense ... =page_info

However, of note:

Dow chemicals are highly involved in biobased food packaging materials such as bagasse which biodegrade in a short time. eg have a look at this Dow chemicals presentation Sustainable (food) Packaging; the What, Why and How http://www.ilsi.org/Europe/Documents/RUSSELL.pdf

About Cargill Dow
Cargill Dow LLC is leading the world in its effort to convert,through the application of new science and technology, annually renewable plant matter into a full range of useful products such as food packaging materials, films and fibers. http://www.natureworksllc.com/~/media/T ... .pdf?la=en

Question
From your facebook page you state that "The EcoSense Cambodia project is not limited to the single initiative of distributing high quality biodegradable packaging. This infers that your present activity is a precursor to marketing biodegradable packaging. Is this packaging supplied by Dow chemicals or a subsidiary?
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

StroppyChops wrote:
AE86 wrote:^^It's alright. I think native English speakers give too much importance to their own abilities and hold it above other's heads.
That's a bit of a low shot from you, Akira.
Sorry if I came across wrong. All I was just trying to do was say "Not everyone knows English as easily as natives", not to point the finger at anyone.

I also have a fever so I'm really out of it and might have read it wrong and replied wrong.
-insert signature here
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

EcoSense-Cambodia wrote:
I think you will understand my confusion a little better when you see this logo for pesticide which is almost identical to yours.
http://www.scotts.ca/smg/templates/inde ... cale=en-CA.
Scotts= Dow
Yours:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/EcoSense ... =page_info

You have the same name and an almost identical logo to a brand of pesticides. So unfortunately this has left you open to speculation, which I think was warranted. You must admit that it's a terrible coincidence for you.

But since you have categorically stated that you have no connection to Dow, then I can accept that and I apologise for my mistake and if I was rude. Do you want to give us the name of your manufacturer so there can be total transparency and no further misunderstandings ? :beer3:
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Kuroneko wrote:
To the OP
So to be clear are there two unconnected organisations using the "trademark" ecosense, is this correct?

EcoSense™

marketed by Dow chemicals http://www.dow.com/en-us/markets-and-so ... osense919/

And

ecosense-cambodia

The EcoSense Cambodia project is not limited to the single initiative of distributing high quality biodegradable packaging. With the support of our partners and voluntary organisations, we want to develop environmental awareness amongst the population of Cambodia and coordinate further preventative measures. The organisation of regular rubbish-picking sessions is one example. Our goal is to gradually make the population become aware of the ecological issues around them and the importance of preserving the environment and in doing so, to participate in positive ecological change in Cambodia.https://www.facebook.com/pages/EcoSense ... =page_info

However, of note:

Dow chemicals are highly involved in biobased food packaging materials such as bagasse which biodegrade in a short time. eg have a look at this Dow chemicals presentation Sustainable (food) Packaging; the What, Why and How http://www.ilsi.org/Europe/Documents/RUSSELL.pdf

About Cargill Dow
Cargill Dow LLC is leading the world in its effort to convert,through the application of new science and technology, annually renewable plant matter into a full range of useful products such as food packaging materials, films and fibers. http://www.natureworksllc.com/~/media/T ... .pdf?la=en

Question
From your facebook page you state that "The EcoSense Cambodia project is not limited to the single initiative of distributing high quality biodegradable packaging. This infers that your present activity is a precursor to marketing biodegradable packaging. Is this packaging supplied by Dow chemicals or a subsidiary?
Good work. Cat's arse walking away again. :thumb:
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
EcoSense-Cambodia
Tourist

Kuroneko wrote:
To the OP

EcoSense™

And

ecosense-cambodia

However, of note:

About Cargill Dow

Question
Hi,

Regarding your question, please read previous posts.

Thx
EcoSense-Cambodia
Tourist

Anchor Moy wrote:
EcoSense-Cambodia wrote:
I think you will understand my confusion a little better when you see this logo for pesticide which is almost identical to yours.
http://www.scotts.ca/smg/templates/inde ... cale=en-CA.
Scotts= Dow
Yours:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/EcoSense ... =page_info

You have the same name and an almost identical logo to a brand of pesticides. So unfortunately this has left you open to speculation, which I think was warranted. You must admit that it's a terrible coincidence for you.

But since you have categorically stated that you have no connection to Dow, then I can accept that and I apologise for my mistake and if I was rude. Do you want to give us the name of your manufacturer so there can be total transparency and no further misunderstandings ? :beer3:
We thought we already answered all your questions previously, Once again, you have the right to be confused. You just say that you accept and even appologised.Then why are you still asking questions about it? This post has not been created for us to justify ourselves, i think we have justified ourselves enough ...

We met already dozen and dozen of expats being here over 10 years, all fully aware of the envirnomental situation here. We dont blame them, accuse them or judge them, but all they do is undergoing it, observing it, being fatalist..
We often hear "I went to snorkl last week end at Sianoukville, i was swimming in the middle of plastic bags, how annoying"

Yes, indeed, it is ..

We are here since only 5 months, and we are already taking the initiative to do something for our environment, investing a lot of time and energy.

The fact that Dow is producing bagasse, doesnt mean that we are associated to them. We have to agree that our logo is really similar to them, and that is really, really unfortunate, indeed.

About the name of our manufacturer, do you have a single idea of how many manufacture in Asia are producing bagasse products? There are a lot... If you ever had worked on a project, you would understand that this info is obviously confidential. We have selected many manufacturer, and worked hard to select the good one depending on many criteria (as staff conditions and water treatment) and we can tell you that after visiting them and doing our little researshes about them, we can say that our partner is honorable.

Our products are certified by FDA for U.S., SGS for Europe, Ok Compost and ISO.

Again and for the last time, We Dont Know these Dow whatever!!!

Also, we mentioned at least twice the eventuality to meet us, but nobody answers.

What is your aim finally?
Is it to continue to discredit for your pleasure and your ego a new initiative set up by two people who really are trying to do something concrete?

Or, do you really care about the environment? And if that's the case, you should answer our meeting proposal.

That being said, we hope you give as much as energy in taking environmental measures and actions than trying to dirty us.

Cheers!
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

You are either a fool or a carpetbagger if you don't see the concern people have about companies such as yours. After all, you should be well conversant with the arguments and criticisms as you must surely have had them yourselves with other companies in the green business, before setting up a company that breaks through ecocapitalism. Seeing as you don't seem to realize that this point is paramount for gaining real support in an increasingly cynical public, and in fact prefer not to try further to convince people of your genuine concerns for the environment ( apart from the old 'meet me') than I have no recourse but to believe your logos are not a coincidence, and the environment not your genuine concern, unless related to your personal bank statements.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
EcoSense-Cambodia
Tourist

juansweetpotato wrote:You are either a fool or a carpetbagger if you don't see the concern people have about companies such as yours. After all, you should be well conversant with the arguments and criticisms as you must surely have had them yourselves with other companies in the green business, before setting up a company that breaks through ecocapitalism. Seeing as you don't seem to realize that this point is paramount for gaining real support in an increasingly cynical public, and in fact prefer not to try further to convince people of your genuine concerns for the environment ( apart from the old 'meet me') than I have no recourse but to believe your logos are not a coincidence, and the environment not your genuine concern, unless related to your personal bank statements.
Ok guys, that "discussion" goes to far ... I think we have tried enough to justify ourselves. We are just two friendly 30 years old guys, so if you feel like to have a proper discussion about it, let's have it with a beer in the hand. This will be our treat, on our eco-dollars ;)
Kampong Spooner
Expatriate

Post by Kampong Spooner »

Blokes trying to do something for the environment - CARPETBAGGING FOOLS!

How dare you care guys? How dare you? How can you sleep at night after having such ideas of at least trying to make a change and earning a few quid off it?

Worse than Hitler.

However, if you should see a shirtless foreigner walking around Psar Kandal.....
Cookin' MCs like a pound o'bacon
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic