Environmental Issues in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Environmental Issues in Cambodia

Post by StroppyChops »

vladimir wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:
EcoSense-Cambodia wrote:we are sponsorizing a young local student group...
"Sponsorizing"?
It's between radicalising and vaporising in your dictionary.
Indeedly.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

:popcorn: @ Eco Sense: The silence is deafening.
Either you have ties to Dow Chemical Co or you don't . It shouldn't take a board meeting to decide.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Is there any law on the books about littering and having trash on you property? Until you hit the population in the pockets books and like the unused traffic laws, have the lazy BIB enforce the laws, the country will look like a trash heap. Like I've said before, Cambodia is like Thailand thirty years ago. Thrash thrown everywhere and nothing getting done without corruption.

I do love it here (as I loved Thailand 30 years ago, and not now), but people taking responsibility for their trash would go a long way to a healthier country/people. Thrash breeds disease. Educate the children and population. Knowledge is power (maybe thats why the powers that be aren't really pushing cleanup and education.)
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Sailorman wrote:Knowledge is power (maybe thats why the powers that be aren't really pushing cleanup and education.)
Which also explains the incredibly expensive, short-term passports. Travel broadens the mind, and people start asking questions.

And the education system, zero critical thinking skills.

And...well, everything.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

@ Samouth and Little Salary :dm:
It seems that Eco-sense doesn't want to answer my question, but it would be good to know if Eco-Sense is at all connected the company Dow Chemical who are responsible for this:
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/gallery/bh ... /3261.html :x

Or just do a search for Bhopal. This was before your time, but it is a "famous" disaster.Thousands of people died. It's very sad. Warning: some shocking photos.
EcoSense-Cambodia
Tourist

Post by EcoSense-Cambodia »

Good afternoon everyone,

First of all we have absolutly nothing to do with Dow Chemical Co.We dont even know them.

Ecosense exist already in UK, India, France and other countries all doing different things individually, similar names doesnt mean a colaboration, and what they do is not our concern.

We are called EcoSense-Cambodia.

For your info we are only two 30 years old guys trying to do something we care about.

You are absolutly right, it should not take a board meeting to evaluate our relation with Dow Chemical Co,especially when we are only two, but guys,seriously, there are more sexy saturday nights than the one spending our time to justifying ourself to free attacks.

As said before, only two guys, doing everything on our own, the website is nearly finished, we will be happy to post it here for everyone to see it soon.

We will be also glad to meet you all in person and explain the whole project, it will be a good opportunity for the septicals to have a fair judgement on the two main characters.

For all the encouraging answers, thank you very much for your sympatic messages...

We can get in touch on our facebook page, please contact us,

We are planning our first picking session in July.

Have a nice sunday everyone
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Good reply and please dont be insulted.
we are wary from reasons of experience.
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Jaap N. »

See, see? Perfectly harmless guys, with honorable intentions, seriously, nothing to do with Dow at all. I really don't understand why you guys pick on those two well meaning individuals, they don't even know Dow Chemical Co.
And, and I quote: 'Ecosense exist already in UK, India, France and other countries all doing different things individually, similar names doesnt mean a colaboration, and what they do is not our concern.'

:stir:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Hello EcoSense,
Unfortunately for you, the name of your ? company is also a Dow chemical trademark. The obvious way to find out if you are connected was to ask you and since you didn't answer I just kept prodding until I got a response from you. Shame it took 3 pages.

Dow Chemical has previous form on green-washing, so there was reason behind the suspicion.
As you can see here, they are selling environmentally-friendly products: http://www.dow.com/en-us/markets-and-so ... osense919/

If this has nothing to do with you and that was just an unfortunate choice of name, then I apologize, but Dow is everywhere - also recycled food packaging for example: http://www.dow.com/packaging/sustainabi ... covery.htm

Are you selling something? Are you sure it has nothing to do with Dow ?
Is it possible that your biodegradable food packaging is manufactured by Dow? Do you even know who is the manufacturer ?
Maybe you should change your name.

All the best, AM
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

in the questionnaire they were suggesting in quite a few questions about an alternate product instead of the Styrofoam boxes, it almost felt like a marketing questionnaire about this said new product with questions like, would you prefer if restaurants used said new product, how likely you are to order food at a restaurant that uses said new product, and would you be more likely to eat at the restaurant that uses said new product, could all be innocent but the points AM & co. put forward made me a bit skeptical, but i do like the idea of a clean up, the areas around sihanoukville heading out to otres are absolutely disgusting and only getting worse!
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic