The Basil Thai Restaurant

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

3 Samdach Sothearos Blvd
9AM - 9PM

Food: 3.5/5
Service: 3.5/5
Value for money: 3.5/5

A sudden urge for spicy food brought me to this restaurant, just a few hundred meters from the hotel. I did Google it and I knew that the entrance looks like the restaurant is closed from the outside. Bad marketing.

The interior is not too enticing either, it looks more like a canteen then a restaurant.But hey, I came for the food so let’s not talk about the optics.

I did want the shrimp cakes but they were out. Settled for the shrimp paste fried rice and the green chicken curry. I love shrimp paste fried rice and in particular the dried shrimps that come with it. That was not to be as they were out of dried shrimps. The rice was also quite soggy, seems to me they basically used steamed rice and added the shrimp paste. Taste was good though as it should for $6.00.

The best part of the meal was the green chicken curry. Another $6.00 got me a very tasty curry with plenty of meat and those little eggplants that I just love. Nobody asked me how spicy I would like my food and the curry could have had a little more kick. Part of the joy of eating Thai food is sitting in a puddle of sweat, tongue on fire, nose dripping and eyeballs exploding.

I was a little disappointed with the lime juice. $2.00 and it was mostly ice and enough sugar to make my teeth hurt. Gone in two sips.

I do hope to find a better Thai restaurant. When I worked in Siem Reap, I never did find a good Thai restaurant. I could never understand that, seeing how Thailand is just a couple of hours away. I’ll be grateful for any recommendations.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: The Basil Thai Restaurant

Post by phuketrichard »

the best Thai in PP
Lemongrass... street 130 near riverside
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:35 pm the best Thai in PP
Permanently closed….
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

hanno wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:39 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:35 pm the best Thai in PP
Permanently closed….
awww, that sucks.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I liked Boat Noodle in the old location. New location lost some ambiance but would visit still.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Yosaya Thai is not too bad. Tbh I've only ever had delivery but it's the best Thai food I've had delivered in PP

On the other hand I don't rate mama Thai, only been once but was disappointed
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

cautious colin wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:07 am Yosaya Thai is not too bad. Tbh I've only ever had delivery but it's the best Thai food I've had delivered in PP

On the other hand I don't rate mama Thai, only been once but was disappointed
I will try. Recommended by a friend who is very much into Thai food.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Went to one other recently that was very good. But cannot remember the name. If I can dig it out I will post

Was out in Sen sok
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

cautious colin wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:10 am Went to one other recently that was very good. But cannot remember the name. If I can dig it out I will post

Was out in Sen sok
Thai food in Phnom penh is generally disappointing. Tom yam kung restaurant on 278 is favored by Khmers, I find it over-priced and small portions. Chiang mai restaurant on riverside is ok, but not particularly authentic.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Gazzy wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:24 am Chiang mai restaurant on riverside is ok, but not particularly authentic.
I was going to try last night but it was packed with backpackers on a pub crawl.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic