Proof of no criminal record for my Cambodian wife and other questions

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
barangkpooah
Tourist

Proof of no criminal record for my Cambodian wife and other questions

Post by barangkpooah »

Hello expats of Cambodia :wave:

You guys have helped me before and I'm in need of help once again.

I'm from a small country in the European Union. I live and work in my home country. My Cambodian partner and I married in the Republic of Seychelles in September 2022. We got marriage certificate with apostille from Seychelles which is legally recognised as valid in the EU but not in Cambodia because Cambodia never signed Hague convention. In my home country and EU my Cambodian wife is also legally my wife and we are legally married.

We are in the process of getting her a long stay visa for my country and we need proof of no criminal record for her. The problem is that we don't know if she should write my name under spouse section when applying for police clearance or not since she is legally single in Cambodia. We could fill it out and hope that no one will ask questions about our marriage or leave it empty and try to explain to embassy of my home country why we left it empty (my embassy only wants marriage certificate issued by my country which I already have).

If none of this will work, do you think that is possible to legalize a marriage that took place outside of Cambodia with the help of a Cambodian lawyer after the marriage has already happened?

Marriage in Cambodia was sadly not an option for me because of my long term employment in Europe and my kind of job can't be done online.

If none of the above will work and we get our visa denied once again we will just divorce. After 6 years of long distance relationship and all the covid crap in between we are both mentally and financially exhausted. After all, we are still both under 35 :sorry:

Thanks for your time and help and have a good rest of the day.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Proof of no criminal record for my Cambodian wife and other questions

Post by Freightdog »

Have you asked at the department of criminal affairs, (or whatever it’s called)? They can actually surprise you with clear answers, even though they do mess up the paperwork.

Logical reasoning might suggest (I know, logic! KoW) that her criminal records check, even in her maiden name will still be relevant, as her maiden name will also be noted in our marriage records, and sometimes europe can be a bit easier to work with.
I ask as we are in a similar situation- for us, the marriage process has been interrupted twice, here, which gets a bit tedious when spending the money. We’re supposedly heading overseas for a year or so with my job. I’ll be avidly watching for answers.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:30 pm Have you asked at the department of criminal affairs, (or whatever it’s called)? They can actually surprise you with clear answers, even though they do mess up the paperwork.
The ministry of justice (Riverside) issues them.

Since she needs the document, and she's legally single as per Cambodian law, I would leave it blanc and just ask for her document. I don't even recall there's an option to fill in a spouse's name. Doesn't make sense to fill it in because the document concerns the criminal record of the person requesting, not other people connected.

When requesting plan carefully. It has a 3 month validity only and part of the validity might have expired when she receives it. Using fa$t lan€ will r€duc€ this period.
Last edited by Kammekor on Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

barangkpooah wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:12 pm If none of this will work, do you think that is possible to legalize a marriage that took place outside of Cambodia with the help of a Cambodian lawyer after the marriage has already happened?
No chance
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:37 pm
barangkpooah wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:12 pm If none of this will work, do you think that is possible to legalize a marriage that took place outside of Cambodia with the help of a Cambodian lawyer after the marriage has already happened?
No chance
It's possible. At least still in 2021 was possible. Need to pay tea money. Cost around $2000-$3000.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

barangkpooah wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:12 pm Hello expats of Cambodia :wave:

You guys have helped me before and I'm in need of help once again.

I'm from a small country in the European Union. I live and work in my home country. My Cambodian partner and I married in the Republic of Seychelles in September 2022. We got marriage certificate with apostille from Seychelles which is legally recognised as valid in the EU but not in Cambodia because Cambodia never signed Hague convention. In my home country and EU my Cambodian wife is also legally my wife and we are legally married.

We are in the process of getting her a long stay visa for my country and we need proof of no criminal record for her. The problem is that we don't know if she should write my name under spouse section when applying for police clearance or not since she is legally single in Cambodia. We could fill it out and hope that no one will ask questions about our marriage or leave it empty and try to explain to embassy of my home country why we left it empty (my embassy only wants marriage certificate issued by my country which I already have).

If none of this will work, do you think that is possible to legalize a marriage that took place outside of Cambodia with the help of a Cambodian lawyer after the marriage has already happened?

Marriage in Cambodia was sadly not an option for me because of my long term employment in Europe and my kind of job can't be done online.

If none of the above will work and we get our visa denied once again we will just divorce. After 6 years of long distance relationship and all the covid crap in between we are both mentally and financially exhausted. After all, we are still both under 35 :sorry:

Thanks for your time and help and have a good rest of the day.
No need to write your name on the paper. Your embassy should understand. You can check from your embassy first to be sure. It's much easier to talk with your country officials than Cambodians.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

rogerrabbit wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:53 pm
No chance
It's possible. At least still in 2021 was possible. Need to pay tea money. Cost around $2000-$3000.
COVID exception? Please elaborate.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:36 pm
rogerrabbit wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:53 pm
No chance
COVID exception? Please elaborate.
No, not covid exception. Just the normal Khmer way, where you hire agent/lawyer and pay few thousands dollar which he then share with correct officials who then make the needed paperwork. I know three couple who have done this in last 6 years. Latest couple did it in 2021. Personally enquired about this back in 2018 and then the guy quoted $1800 but we didn't go through it.
barangkpooah
Tourist

Post by barangkpooah »

rogerrabbit wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:55 pm
No need to write your name on the paper. Your embassy should understand. You can check from your embassy first to be sure. It's much easier to talk with your country officials than Cambodians.
I just told my wife this and she said that the Ministry of Justice will ask her why she needs police clearance. If she is going to say that she needs it for long-term visa for some country they will start asking questions about where and with who is she going to live. So, what else should or can she say?

Because after she gets the police clearance (if she gets it in the first place), she will need to fly to New Delhi, India because that's where the nearest embassy of my country is. After she gets there, she will have to notarize it again at Cambodian embassy there, notarize it again at the ministry of foreign affairs in India and then bring it to my country's embassy. That's what my government has told me.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

barangkpooah wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:05 pm
rogerrabbit wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:55 pm
I just told my wife this and she said that the Ministry of Justice will ask her why she needs police clearance. If she is going to say that she needs it for long-term visa for some country they will start asking questions about where and with who is she going to live. So, what else should or can she say?

Because after she gets the police clearance (if she gets it in the first place), she will need to fly to New Delhi, India because that's where the nearest embassy of my country is. After she gets there, she will have to notarize it again at Cambodian embassy there, notarize it again at the ministry of foreign affairs in India and then bring it to my country's embassy. That's what my government has told me.
It's common document what many people get. If they ask something, just tell her to say it's for visa (no need to be specific it's for long term visa). They will not ask more than that. Worse case scenario she pay $5-$10 tea money. That is a last resort if they start to ask questions and she feel uncomfortable, which I doubt. But as I said, many people get it daily and they will not ask much questions. Should be easy to get it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic