will tik tok replace Google?

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
violet
Expatriate

Re: will tik tok replace Google?

Post by violet »

xandreu wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:53 pm AI such as ChatGPT is the future of the internet, not Tik-Tok. We will see an explosion in this type of technology this year and it will progress incredibly quickly.

You can think of the evolution of the internet as stages. Originally it was basically static web pages (Web 1.0) which people mostly used just to get information. Yes there were bulletin boards such as this one, and other technologies for downloading content such as Napster, but 'surfing' the internet was largely a passive experience for most people.

Then Web 2.0 came along, with user generated web-pages - the birth of social media such as Facebook, video sites like YouTube, and the like. Websites became much more interactive and were updated constantly every time users themselves added to the content. You could now scroll infinitely and never get to the end of many websites.

We're now at the beginning of the next, and biggest manifestation of the internet by far- the use of AI. Very soon, your computer will be your best friend. And I'm not talking Alexa or Siri. I mean, it will be something you will sit and have endless conversations with, as if you were talking to a real human being. It will give us advice, tell us jokes, ask us how we're feeling today, give accurate information about anything we ask it, reply to messages for us (not dictating messages, I mean we can just say 'Let Dave know I can't make it tonight but I'll see him on Saturday' and it will compose and send an appropriate message) - it will basically do everything that sci-fi movies have been promising us for decades.

For those that are interested, I suggest taking a look at some of the videos of ChatGPT4.0 (the next iteration that's not out yet). As a basic demonstration, a guy drew on a notepad (quite badly with barely legible handwriting) with a biro what they wanted a website to look like, took a photo of it, gave it to chatGPT4.0, and it coded the website to look exactly as the guy had drawn it.

Things are moving very, very fast in the space of AI, and while Tik-Tok will probably remain popular for a long time to come, it isn't the future of the internet, or a replacement for Google.
God that’s beautiful (and scary at the same time). chatGPT is going to really shake things up
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

I find it exciting and concerning because society, leaders, decision makers, etc are not ready to lead us through what’s going to occur.

We need a new way of existing and an understanding that people need to have enough without having to work. This ages old notion that we must work for money is surely going to change now, isn’t it?

Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

violet wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:57 pm I find it exciting and concerning because society, leaders, decision makers, etc are not ready to lead us through what’s going to occur.

We need a new way of existing and an understanding that people need to have enough without having to work. This ages old notion that we must work for money is surely going to change now, isn’t it?
The power of ChatGPT is just the beginning. AI will replace the majority of jobs over the next few years, and I don't agree with those that say "this is no different to any other revolution, where jobs were lost but new ones were created". This is a completely different type of revolution where any new jobs that are created will also be mostly done by AI. And the jobs that that creates, will also be done.... you get the point. AI is now at the stage where it can write its own code, to the point where even human coders and developers don't understand the code that AI writes. But it works.

The next few years are going to be a very, very interesting time to be alive. I have no idea how humanity is going to deal with this, but it will be fascinating, and scary, to watch.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Let's hope that, before it's too late, the developers instigate the "The 3 Laws of AI".

"AI may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
AI must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
AI must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law."
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Username Taken wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:40 pm Let's hope that, before it's too late, the developers instigate the "The 3 Laws of AI".

"AI may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
AI must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
AI must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law."
I don't hold out much hope. People are already finding ways to get around some of the safety protocols that are implemented into ChatGPT, or getting it to do things it was never intended to do.

It's the fact that AI can write its own code that is impossible for humans to decipher that alarms me and a lot of people. The thing is, it doesn't even write code. At its fundamental level, a computer only understands two things, a zero and a one. When people write code, they use a language (C, Python, C++ etc) which then has to be translated into the zeros and ones that the computer can understand.

As you're reading this, you're looking at text on a website, but if you saw what the computer (or mobile phone) was looking at, you'd simply see billions of zeros and ones. No human is capable of looking at that and deciphering what it is or what it does. But AI can do away with the computer language altogether and simply come up with the billions of zeros and ones that the computer can understand, but no human possibly could.

Mix that with some sort of intelligence where AI can think, make decisions and judgements for itself, and you've potentially got something pretty scary. I'm not convinced there could ever be anything implemented into AI that would ensure it was 100% safe, impossible to manipulate by nefarious agents, or simply get so out of control we ended up being at its mercy.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

we can never put a genie back in a bottle. Not all tools are used for good. It is worrying and exciting times ahead - and it will happen more quickly than people anticipate
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Let's not forget that the Chinese surveillance AI system is named ... Skynet ... :-)
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

xandreu wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:11 pm
Username Taken wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:40 pm Let's hope that, before it's too late, the developers instigate the "The 3 Laws of AI".

I don't hold out much hope. People are already finding ways to get around some of the safety protocols that are implemented into ChatGPT, or getting it to do things it was never intended to do.

It's the fact that AI can write its own code that is impossible for humans to decipher that alarms me and a lot of people. The thing is, it doesn't even write code. At its fundamental level, a computer only understands two things, a zero and a one. When people write code, they use a language (C, Python, C++ etc) which then has to be translated into the zeros and ones that the computer can understand.

As you're reading this, you're looking at text on a website, but if you saw what the computer (or mobile phone) was looking at, you'd simply see billions of zeros and ones. No human is capable of looking at that and deciphering what it is or what it does. But AI can do away with the computer language altogether and simply come up with the billions of zeros and ones that the computer can understand, but no human possibly could.

Mix that with some sort of intelligence where AI can think, make decisions and judgements for itself, and you've potentially got something pretty scary. I'm not convinced there could ever be anything implemented into AI that would ensure it was 100% safe, impossible to manipulate by nefarious agents, or simply get so out of control we ended up being at its mercy.
Will this work?

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

as always
southpark is already on to Chat GPT
https://www.southparkstudios.com/episod ... on-26-ep-4
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

I’m still realising the impact of chatGPT-4 at even a basic level - no need for adobe photoshop and illustrator anymore.

I tried to find this on YouTube. All I have is a LinkedIn link https://www.linkedin.com/posts/openai-c ... member_ios
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic