Driving school

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Sherlock Holmes
Tourist

Driving school

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

Hi, can I hear about driving schools, prices and the whole process? And if I can use it later in my country too?
Thank you!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Driving school

Post by newkidontheblock »

Khmer driving skills are not transferable to western driving. Traffic flow, side of road, everything is different.

Missus went to driving school there, learned on a stick shift. Then came to the US, and went through driving school here.

It was like night and day.

As to prices, places etc., not so sure now.

Good luck
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:31 pm Hi, can I hear about driving schools, prices and the whole process? And if I can use it later in my country too?
Thank you!
Check your national law. Most countries don't recognize a Cambodian license other than for a short stay.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

wife's sister went thru driving school in Kampot<
cost $300 an guaranteed her the license which was needed, as she cant read nor write Khmer
2 day course
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Does anyone happen to know if a Khmer needs to apply for their DL where they're registered? Or can they apply elsewhere within the country?
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Alex wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:34 pm Does anyone happen to know if a Khmer needs to apply for their DL where they're registered? Or can they apply elsewhere within the country?
From memory (a while ago!) it had to be obtained from the Sangkat where they are listed on their family book. God I hope I am wrong.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:42 am wife's sister went thru driving school in Kampot<
cost $300 an guaranteed her the license which was needed, as she cant read nor write Khmer
2 day course
Similar in PP I think, price might be a Benjamin north of that, but pretty much the same on the 'guaranteed license' irrespective of the (in)competence of the driver. Eww.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Alex wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:34 pm Does anyone happen to know if a Khmer needs to apply for their DL where they're registered? Or can they apply elsewhere within the country?
as far as i know you can only apply for the license in Phnom Penh, (same as a passport), at least she had to go to PP yet lives in Kep
But it will show on the license where you live>
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:07 pm
as far as i know you can only apply for the license in Phnom Penh, (same as a passport), at least she had to go to PP yet lives in Kep
Can also apply in Sihanoukville (foreigners too btw). Perhaps in Siem Reap too? Somehow I remember that MPWT has branch there too.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

rogerrabbit wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:38 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:07 pm
Can also apply in Sihanoukville (foreigners too btw). Perhaps in Siem Reap too? Somehow I remember that MPWT has branch there too.
AFAIK:
ok; you can apply in Kampot as well thru an agent
BUT it costs ya $100
IF ur converting your own home country license and your passport matches

does Sihanoukville allow you to pay the official fee?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic