Baht to US$

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
pokerman
Tourist
Great Britain

Baht to US$

Post by pokerman »

Coming from Thailand to PP
I have Thai Baht , should I change it to US$ in Thailand or would changing baht to Riel be better in PP
Best exchanges are near the Market areas?
TIA
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Baht to US$

Post by Kammekor »

pokerman wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:54 am Coming from Thailand to PP
I have Thai Baht , should I change it to US$ in Thailand or would changing baht to Riel be better in PP
Best exchanges are near the Market areas?
TIA
Best rates you get with the money changers East of the Central Market, but last time (November?) the rate was about 0,5 THB per USD less than I got in Thailand. So if you have a lot of THB it pays to exchange it in Thailand.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

The best money changers in Thailand, e.g. SuperRich in Bangkok, have a razor thin spread (0.13 THB per USD right now) for exchanging USD, I'm pretty sure that cannot be beaten elsewhere.

So if it's convenient for you to go to one of those, it's probably worth it.
pokerman
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by pokerman »

can i buy $$$ with my baht at Super rich at BKK Airport, they have a branch in the basement level
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

pokerman wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:14 am can i buy $$$ with my baht at Super rich at BKK Airport, they have a branch in the basement level
There are Super Rich exchanges on some BTS station platforms. Wish I could remember which ones, but I travel from Phra Khanong 4 stations to Asok all the time. Actually, after checking, at Phrom Phong station, there's one in Emporium Mall.

Anyway, in my experience, the big banks at the airport take bigger cuts on the rates. They have to pay high rents. So I would guess the Super Rich rates at the airport would be higher.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

pokerman wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:14 am can i buy $$$ with my baht at Super rich at BKK Airport, they have a branch in the basement level
Not sure there's still a super rich there. There used to be one, but their rates were pretty bad. Not recommended for large amounts.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

St 298 alongside Olympic Market has a row of money shops that give similar to Central Market if that's handier
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

ExPenhMan wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:09 am
There are Super Rich exchanges on some BTS station platforms. Wish I could remember which ones, but I travel from Phra Khanong 4 stations to Asok all the time. Actually, after checking, at Phrom Phong station, there's one in Emporium Mall.

Anyway, in my experience, the big banks at the airport take bigger cuts on the rates. They have to pay high rents. So I would guess the Super Rich rates at the airport would be higher.
Funnily enough, the airport exchange rate for exchanging THB to USD isn't THAT bad, even at the bank booths. So in a pinch or for last-minute exchanges before flying out, I actually use them sometimes.

Their exchange rates from foreign currencies to Thai baht, on the other hand, are daylight robbery. So they're clearly focusing on ripping off new arrivals.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

FYI
baht is getting strong again
just changed $500 >
ONLY got 16,540 baht at scb
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic