Shooting dead a robber in the back - will he be convicted?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Shooting dead a robber in the back - will he be convicted?

Post by Kenr »

Alex wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:25 am
Kenr wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:30 am
Alex wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:01 am
orichá wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:42 pm I don't get it. None of you see or want to acknowledge the total and absolute insanity of life in America. Some of you are blatantly racist, ie.: "a dead gangbanger is a good gangbanger".

I think you are all sick in the head for commending and condoning the rotten violence and crazy behavior of American society as if it is okay, normal, just fine for people to shoot ( or "to have to" shoot ) each other to death, senselessly, everyday. ...Is life of no value..?

I just don't understand your banal and amoral acceptance of gun violence as a reasonable form of status quo.

I hope that the next generation outgrows the false and twisted sickness that accepts the presence and ownership of guns among ordinary citizens... Only police should be permitted to use firearms, and then, only under extraordinary circumstances...

As you probably saw in yesterday's U.S. news, a six year old child took his mom's gun to school and shot his teacher. This shows the pathological, deeply engrained insanity of everyday life in America...
Your description of the gun violence situation isn't wrong, but how would you change it or solve the problem? I don't see much benefit in merely lamenting the insanity, and hoping that the next generation will have different views seems quite naive to me.

Even if you enforce that ordinary citizens can't legally own/carry firearms, that would apply to law-abiding citizens only. The problem is, of course, that criminals would still have guns. As seen in many other countries.
With all due respect, you are only a law abiding citizen until you break the law. The majority of mass shooters purchase their weapons legally. It’s how each state applies the laws. If you have a situation, like where gun straw purchases are allowed, no background checks are required and any criminal can obtain a weapon. If you have a situation where a state has no red flag laws, any individual can obtain a weapon.

There are ways to keep weapons out of criminals hands. Unfortunately some states here don’t provide the Federal Government with the appropriate information to deny someone the abllity to purchase the weapon legally, and some states allow gun purchases through straw transactions. So until that is rectified, nothing can or will be done.
This thread is about an armed robbery, not about mass shootings. That makes a big difference for obvious reasons. I'm all for measures that are aimed at preventing mass shootings, BUT even in countries where gun ownership is outlawed, criminals who commit armed robberies still find ways to get their hands on guns illegally.
And? The point is in Texas anyone can obtain a gun legally, whether they are allowed to have one to or not.

And the fact is you mentioned gun violence in your post, which has nothing to do with this topic. So what point are you trying to make?
Last edited by Kenr on Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Newinkow »

Big Daikon wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:42 am
Newinkow wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:59 am
Big Daikon wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:03 am
Newinkow wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:30 am Once the robber had what he wanted, the loot from everyone, the situation was de-escalated. He was satisfied and was leaving.
"Once the criminal had robbed everyone, he should be free to go on his merry way."

Frankly, this is a victim mentality I find repulsive. Completely passive and more concerned with the antisocial criminal than one's own safety.

Not everyone is content to be a passive victim.
Is life only worth a few buck and a cell phone? Was the shooter's life in real danger?

USA supposedly being a civilized country has law that deal with crime and punishment. For the sake of a few bucks, you would kill a man over it instead of letting the law enforcement deal with the situation?

USA is not like KoW where I few well placed $$$ will get you a "get out of jail" card. That's why they have a independent juridical system to enforce the law and determine the punishment.

With your line of thinking might as well go back to the wild wild west days. Any disagreements, precise harm or danger is dealt with by a shoot out. Basically vigilantism.

I'm not saying that if one's life is in serious danger one shouldn't defend myself. What I'm saying is that the danger to the shooter's life was at the point when the gun was pointed at him. He choose not to react to that situation. Yet when the real danger has passed he chooses to shoot the robber in the back while he was leaving. When there was no more threat to anyone life and basically the robbery was at it conclusion. No harm was done but a few lost dollars and some phones.

Maybe some macho ego was damaged. If he was so macho, why wait until the robber's back was turned and he was out of danger before killing the robber? Why not confront the situation at the moment it occurred if he was so macho?
Yes, I think the customers' lives were in danger. The life-threatening danger started with the robber brandishing the firearm and was ended by the other man shooting him.

"He just wants to steal my money and phone. He probably won't kill me."

Again, I find this to be a passive victim mentality that is intolerable.
As I stated, the customer's life WERE in danger when the gun was pointed at them. If the robber intended to shoot them he would of. Which he didn't do. The shooter choose not to defend himself at the moment of danger. But when the danger has passed and the robber was leaving, the shooter finally got his macho on and shot the robber in the back.

The danger was over when the robber was leaving. No customers were hurt except a little light in the pockets and some bruised egos.

Passive victim mentality? Once the gun was pointed at the shooter, why didn't he draw is own gun and confront the robber if he was not passive? It called common sense! The robber had the drop on him. He choose not to shot and just requested the valuables from the customers. At that instance it was determined the shooter's life was not in danger (wasn't shot). The shooter had common sense to not confront the robber because if he did he might of been shot. But once the dangerous situation was over with the robber leaving and his back turned, he choosed to pump rounds into his back.

Is that what you call macho victim mentality?
chriz_PP
Expatriate
China

Post by chriz_PP »

easy to say from the comfort of your couch
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

orichá wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:42 pm I don't get it. None of you see or want to acknowledge the total and absolute insanity of life in America. Some of you are blatantly racist, ie.: "a dead gangbanger is a good gangbanger".
I think it's funny the person yelling "you're racist" thinks that 'gangbanger' refers to a certain race, lol. :lol:

Another smart reason to leave the area after turning that dude into Swiss cheese is that you might not want to find out how many bros he was with in the gateway car, who might come to see what's going on after their buddy didn't come back out with all their new iPhones.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Newinkow wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:13 am As I stated, the customer's life WERE in danger when the gun was pointed at them. If the robber intended to shoot them he would of. Which he didn't do. The shooter choose not to defend himself at the moment of danger. But when the danger has passed and the robber was leaving, the shooter finally got his macho on and shot the robber in the back.

The danger was over when the robber was leaving. No customers were hurt except a little light in the pockets and some bruised egos.

Passive victim mentality? Once the gun was pointed at the shooter, why didn't he draw is own gun and confront the robber if he was not passive? It called common sense! The robber had the drop on him. He choose not to shot and just requested the valuables from the customers. At that instance it was determined the shooter's life was not in danger (wasn't shot). The shooter had common sense to not confront the robber because if he did he might of been shot. But once the dangerous situation was over with the robber leaving and his back turned, he choosed to pump rounds into his back.

Is that what you call macho victim mentality?
I think we are getting a bit too hypothetical here. Is it only acceptable to shoot the robber when the pistol is pointed at you? Not "macho" to shoot the guy as he was leaving the restaurant?

Again, we disagree and probably won't agree on this one.

More info:
1. https://www.khou.com/article/news/crime ... c0cf7d3d23
The owner of a taqueria said national attention brought on by a deadly shooting at his restaurant has not deterred criminals from targeting his business. Sometime early Tuesday, the restaurant was broken into and three video poker machines were taken. The owner shared surveillance with KHOU 11 News of the incident.
Meanwhile, more has been revealed about the man who was shot and killed. He has been identified as Eric Washington. According to court records, this wasn't Washington's first robbery. In 2013, he and others were charged with capital murder after a man was killed during an armed robbery, according to prosecutors. The charge was later changed to aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon and Washington was convicted and sentenced to 15 years in prison. It's unclear exactly when he was released, but the most recent time he was arrested was Dec. 16, when authorities said he pushed his girlfriend to the ground and scratched her. Washington was charged with misdemeanor family violence and was released on a personal recognizance bond.
2. https://abc13.com/houston-taqueria-shoo ... /12681554/
A grand jury will decide whether an armed taqueria customer, who shot and killed a robber last week in southwest Houston and is now being hailed a hero, will be criminally charged. Investigators said the 46-year-old customer, who police have not identified because he's not under arrest, turned himself in and is cooperating with detectives.

The 46-year-old's attorney sent Eyewitness News the following statement:

"My client, who wishes to remain anonymous, was dining with a friend at El Ranchito Taqueria and as it has been seen on video, a robbery suspect entered the restaurant, and pointed a weapon at my client and the other customers demanding money. In fear of his life and his friend's life my client acted to protect everyone in the restaurant. In Texas, a shooting is justified in self-defense, defense of others and in defense of property. The customer has met with the Harris County District Attorney's Office and Investigators with HPD homicide. He fully intends to continue cooperating with the ongoing investigation. When the investigation is complete, this case will be presented to a Grand Jury. We are confident that a Grand Jury will conclude that the shooting was justified under Texas Law. This event has been very traumatic, taking a human life is something he does not take lightly and will burden him for the rest of his life. For that reason, he wishes to remain anonymous. Due to the overwhelming coverage, we ask the media and the public to respect his privacy."
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Would the shooter have taken the same action if the robber with the gun was a white guy?
chriz_PP
Expatriate
China

Post by chriz_PP »

Username Taken wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:02 am Would the shooter have taken the same action if the robber with the gun was a white guy?
only ONE person knows this, ask him not us
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

General Mackevili wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:57 am

I think it's funny the person yelling "you're racist" thinks that 'gangbanger' refers to a certain race, lol. :lol:
White people have a funny way of effacing knowledge and/or memory of the roots of their racism. Unless you're living under a rock the last thirty years, it's common knowledge that the term "gangbanger" has its roots in rap/hip-hop lingo, which is primarily an afro-american phenomenon... Also, it's common behavior for white supremacists to subtly reinforce each other's prejudices by pretending they don't have any... Witness Qanon, Trumpism, the Deep South, etc...

(...)
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Username Taken wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:02 am Would the shooter have taken the same action if the robber with the gun was a white guy?
Personally, I would let a white man rob me at gunpoint. Of course, I am a racist SOB.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

orichá wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:22 am
General Mackevili wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:57 am

White people have a funny way of effacing knowledge and/or memory of the roots of their racism. Unless you're living under a rock the last thirty years, it's common knowledge that the term "gangbanger" has its roots in rap/hip-hop lingo, which is primarily an afro-american phenomenon... Also, it's common behavior for white supremacists to subtly reinforce each other's prejudices by pretending they don't have any... Witness Qanon, Trumpism, the Deep South, etc...

(...)
Are you white? Feeling guilty much?

Well, I am and I don't.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic