Shooting dead a robber in the back - will he be convicted?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Shooting dead a robber in the back - will he be convicted?

Post by Newinkow »

Am I missing something here or just old school.

Is life so cheap in USA. The shooter was in no real danger for his life.

The dangerous moment was when the gun was pointed at him and was asked for his cash. If he was so "scared" for his life at that moment, why did he not react then.

Once the robber had what he wanted, the loot from everyone, the situation was de-escalated. He was satisfied and was leaving. That's when the shooter shot him in the back as he was heading out the door. Then a final head shot as he was down and out.

FFS. It was a few buck and a cell phone. Is that worth taking a person's life over? Even if he is a criminal.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Newinkow wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:30 am Once the robber had what he wanted, the loot from everyone, the situation was de-escalated. He was satisfied and was leaving.
"Once the criminal had robbed everyone, he should be free to go on his merry way."

Frankly, this is a victim mentality I find repulsive. Completely passive and more concerned with the antisocial criminal than one's own safety.

Not everyone is content to be a passive victim.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Big Daikon wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:03 am
Newinkow wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:30 am Once the robber had what he wanted, the loot from everyone, the situation was de-escalated. He was satisfied and was leaving.
"Once the criminal had robbed everyone, he should be free to go on his merry way."

Frankly, this is a victim mentality I find repulsive. Completely passive and more concerned with the antisocial criminal than one's own safety.

This is a macho response, which is repulsive. Completely antagonistic, and more concerned with ego than objective thought.
Not everyone is content with the concept that shooting is the only way.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Freightdog wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:10 am

This is a macho response, which is repulsive. Completely antagonistic, and more concerned with ego than objective thought.
You consider the masculine response to be repulsive. I consider it to be healthy and pro-social.

Again, we have reached an impasse.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Big Daikon wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:26 am

You consider the masculine response to be repulsive. I consider it to be healthy and pro-social.

Not yet. You either misread macho to mean masculine, or failed to comprehend the subtle difference, or chose to do so.
Flawed response.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Freightdog wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:28 am
Big Daikon wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:26 am

Not yet. You either misread macho to mean masculine, or failed to comprehend the subtle difference, or chose to do so.
Flawed response.
You said macho. I said masculine. We have different opinions on the same action.
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

violet wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:26 am
David Gordon wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:37 am
violet wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:38 am
David Gordon wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:14 amViolet if this was your movie how would you have scripted it?
The purpose of movies is largely to entertain and make money.

Irrelevant.

If you are merely descriptively asking how I think it should have played out or how I would have acted, I’ve already inferred the first and the second is an unknown.

I’m in this thread because I’m learning to put my self in the shoes of people living in Texas, USA, where it’s an entirely different way of existing than anywhere I live.

I started out with my opinions based on my world experience. Like any good expat in a foreign culture, I’m Learning in this thread to shed a little bit of my non-Texan upbringing to not judge as someone from outside that system, but instead to perceive what makes Texas tick.

This does not mean my values and morals go out the window. It doesn’t mean I forget what I’ve learned from the luxury of a life outside that system and just give over to Texan ways. It means I adjust a little.

Perhaps somewhere along the way a little bit of me rubs off on the ‘Texans’.
… so lame.

What exactly do think the man with the gun should have done, and what would you have done had you been sitting there with a gun in your holster?
Lame to you but that is where I’m at. I appreciate that many in this forum operate at a different level.

How the hell do I know how I’d react? Me as me at this point? Me as me who has had a gun in a holster for a moment, a lifetime? Me as me who has lived in Texas and is a knuckle dragger? Me in Texas who is from my background?

Fairyland
You are saying it’s overkill right? So then - was it overkill at 1 shot? 2? Or after 5?

I don’t know what Texas has to do with it at all. You have a gun - it’s legal - someone pointed their gun at your face. You don’t know what you would do? You don’t know how the hell you would react? Do you not know from past experiences? Do you not have some self protection protocols and plans for your own security in your mind?

If it were me strapping on a gun, I would not have done it without a lot of thought about why I’m carrying and what I would do with it when needed.

I would have done the exact same thing as this man. I am thorough too.

And, fyi: I don’t own a gun and I don’t really like them. They scare me a bit - so am not a huge gun advocate. But why should only police have them? Give all your guns to the jackboots if you want - seems like a bad idea to me.

When someone threatens my life they have set the bar in the encounter. It is now either mine or theirs. Men don’t take threats of violence well. Real men will not cower in a corner - we step up and we defend ourselves and others. Many men will act like this valiantly - in a way that risks their own very life to save themselves and others. This is what is good and right. I do not want to live in a world where scumbags are allowed to prevail making the quality of our lives worse and worse without fear for the repercussions.
Stay classy na
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Newinkow »

Is life only worth a few buck and a cell phone? Was the shooter's life in real danger?

USA supposedly being a civilized country has law that deal with crime and punishment. For the sake of a few bucks, you would kill a man over it instead of letting the law enforcement deal with the situation?

USA is not like KoW where I few well placed $$$ will get you a "get out of jail" card. That's why they have a independent juridical system to enforce the law and determine the punishment.

With your line of thinking might as well go back to the wild wild west days. Any disagreements, precise harm or danger is dealt with by a shoot out. Basically vigilantism.

I'm not saying that if one's life is in serious danger one shouldn't defend myself. What I'm saying is that the danger to the shooter's life was at the point when the gun was pointed at him. He choose not to react to that situation. Yet when the real danger has passed he chooses to shoot the robber in the back while he was leaving. When there was no more threat to anyone life and basically the robbery was at it conclusion. No harm was done but a few lost dollars and some phones.

Maybe some macho ego was damaged. If he was so macho, why wait until the robber's back was turned and he was out of danger before killing the robber? Why not confront the situation at the moment it occurred if he was so macho?
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Kenr wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:30 am
Alex wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:01 am
orichá wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:42 pm I don't get it. None of you see or want to acknowledge the total and absolute insanity of life in America. Some of you are blatantly racist, ie.: "a dead gangbanger is a good gangbanger".

I think you are all sick in the head for commending and condoning the rotten violence and crazy behavior of American society as if it is okay, normal, just fine for people to shoot ( or "to have to" shoot ) each other to death, senselessly, everyday. ...Is life of no value..?

I just don't understand your banal and amoral acceptance of gun violence as a reasonable form of status quo.

I hope that the next generation outgrows the false and twisted sickness that accepts the presence and ownership of guns among ordinary citizens... Only police should be permitted to use firearms, and then, only under extraordinary circumstances...

As you probably saw in yesterday's U.S. news, a six year old child took his mom's gun to school and shot his teacher. This shows the pathological, deeply engrained insanity of everyday life in America...
Your description of the gun violence situation isn't wrong, but how would you change it or solve the problem? I don't see much benefit in merely lamenting the insanity, and hoping that the next generation will have different views seems quite naive to me.

Even if you enforce that ordinary citizens can't legally own/carry firearms, that would apply to law-abiding citizens only. The problem is, of course, that criminals would still have guns. As seen in many other countries.
With all due respect, you are only a law abiding citizen until you break the law. The majority of mass shooters purchase their weapons legally. It’s how each state applies the laws. If you have a situation, like where gun straw purchases are allowed, no background checks are required and any criminal can obtain a weapon. If you have a situation where a state has no red flag laws, any individual can obtain a weapon.

There are ways to keep weapons out of criminals hands. Unfortunately some states here don’t provide the Federal Government with the appropriate information to deny someone the abllity to purchase the weapon legally, and some states allow gun purchases through straw transactions. So until that is rectified, nothing can or will be done.
This thread is about an armed robbery, not about mass shootings. That makes a big difference for obvious reasons. I'm all for measures that are aimed at preventing mass shootings, BUT even in countries where gun ownership is outlawed, criminals who commit armed robberies still find ways to get their hands on guns illegally.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Newinkow wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:59 am

Is life only worth a few buck and a cell phone? Was the shooter's life in real danger?

USA supposedly being a civilized country has law that deal with crime and punishment. For the sake of a few bucks, you would kill a man over it instead of letting the law enforcement deal with the situation?

USA is not like KoW where I few well placed $$$ will get you a "get out of jail" card. That's why they have a independent juridical system to enforce the law and determine the punishment.

With your line of thinking might as well go back to the wild wild west days. Any disagreements, precise harm or danger is dealt with by a shoot out. Basically vigilantism.

I'm not saying that if one's life is in serious danger one shouldn't defend myself. What I'm saying is that the danger to the shooter's life was at the point when the gun was pointed at him. He choose not to react to that situation. Yet when the real danger has passed he chooses to shoot the robber in the back while he was leaving. When there was no more threat to anyone life and basically the robbery was at it conclusion. No harm was done but a few lost dollars and some phones.

Maybe some macho ego was damaged. If he was so macho, why wait until the robber's back was turned and he was out of danger before killing the robber? Why not confront the situation at the moment it occurred if he was so macho?
Yes, I think the customers' lives were in danger. The life-threatening danger started with the robber brandishing the firearm and was ended by the other man shooting him.

"He just wants to steal my money and phone. He probably won't kill me."

Again, I find this to be a passive victim mentality that is intolerable.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic