Shooting dead a robber in the back - will he be convicted?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Seasquatch
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Shooting dead a robber in the back - will he be convicted?

Post by Seasquatch »

Kenr wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:52 pm
Seasquatch wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:45 pm
Kenr wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:05 pm
Seasquatch wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:50 pm
Kenr wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:09 pm
Texas has absolutely no gun control laws
You clearly don't know the laws in your own state -

https://www.texas.gov/public-safety/tex ... n-license/

If you think Texas is the wild wild West, you should try living South of the boarder for a while :popcorn:
I’m sure I know what I’m talking about, it appears you don’t. September 1, 2021, Law HB 1927 went into effect. It is no longer a mandatory requirement to obtain a license or permit or have any type of training to carry your handgun in Texas.

And making the argument that there are worse places is pretty weak, especially when you want to compare Texas to 3rd world countries.
Texas isn't a 3rd world country? :stir: And Mexico is hardly "the worst place".

Law HB 1927 is still a law, you stated Texas has no laws, which one is it? :hattip:
No gun control or safety laws, he stripped them with HB 1927, but I’m sure that’s too difficult for you to distinguish the difference. It’s basically do as you please.

You brought up there were worse places south of the border, I never mentioned Mexico.
HB1927 states -

those age 21+ who can legally possess a firearm will be able to carry a handgun – concealed, or openly in a holster – in non-prohibited public places

Ok it holds to the 2nd amendment, don't see the problem there. Gun Advocates opposed it too as -

Exception: those who have been convicted of certain misdemeanors in the previous five years will not be able to carry handguns outside of their property or vehicle. These misdemeanors include assault causing bodily injury; deadly conduct; terroristic threat; and disorderly conduct with a firearm.

This seems reasonable to me, once again the Texas Gov site says you still have to get a permit and training so I'm not sure how you think they stripped gun laws.

I take no satisfaction on this guy losing his life, I'd like to know what kind of drugs and medications he was on, also if I was ever so desperate to do a hold up, I'd pick an easier target, fucking with the Mexicans/Cubans/Puerto Ricans/Dominicans in America is a sure way to end up dead.
------
aka Yankee Gringo Gaijin aka Seppy Yank
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Seasquatch wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:23 pm
Kenr wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:52 pm
Seasquatch wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:45 pm
Kenr wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:05 pm
Seasquatch wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:50 pm

You clearly don't know the laws in your own state -

https://www.texas.gov/public-safety/tex ... n-license/

If you think Texas is the wild wild West, you should try living South of the boarder for a while :popcorn:
I’m sure I know what I’m talking about, it appears you don’t. September 1, 2021, Law HB 1927 went into effect. It is no longer a mandatory requirement to obtain a license or permit or have any type of training to carry your handgun in Texas.

And making the argument that there are worse places is pretty weak, especially when you want to compare Texas to 3rd world countries.
Texas isn't a 3rd world country? :stir: And Mexico is hardly "the worst place".

Law HB 1927 is still a law, you stated Texas has no laws, which one is it? :hattip:
No gun control or safety laws, he stripped them with HB 1927, but I’m sure that’s too difficult for you to distinguish the difference. It’s basically do as you please.

You brought up there were worse places south of the border, I never mentioned Mexico.
HB1927 states -

those age 21+ who can legally possess a firearm will be able to carry a handgun – concealed, or openly in a holster – in non-prohibited public places

Ok it holds to the 2nd amendment, don't see the problem there. Gun Advocates opposed it too as -

Exception: those who have been convicted of certain misdemeanors in the previous five years will not be able to carry handguns outside of their property or vehicle. These misdemeanors include assault causing bodily injury; deadly conduct; terroristic threat; and disorderly conduct with a firearm.

This seems reasonable to me, once again the Texas Gov site says you still have to get a permit and training so I'm not sure how you think they stripped gun laws.

I take no satisfaction on this guy losing his life, I'd like to know what kind of drugs and medications he was on, also if I was ever so desperate to do a hold up, I'd pick an easier target, fucking with the Mexicans/Cubans/Puerto Ricans/Dominicans in America is a sure way to end up dead.
LOL. Dude, you got your ass kicked in your first two (2) responses to my posts, now you want to come back and claim there is nothing wrong with HB 1927.

When a state allows gun straw purchases, when a state doesn’t have a red flag law, when a state strips away the requirement for proper training and permits/license to carry, you’re just asking for trouble.

The police advocated against, reasonable people advocated against, but the Governor just wanted to make sure Texas sold more guns than California, his words not mine, and wants to make sure everyone knows that Texas is a Second Amendment State, which everyone already knew it was.

It is too easy to purchase a gun legally, by Texas laws anyway, even if you can’t legally own one. And by allowing someone to carry a weapon without any type of training and permit/license is just plain fucking stupid. You may not think so, but a great many people do.

Edit: There is no training required and no permit is required, HB 1927 took away those requirements.
Last edited by Kenr on Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

I don't get it. None of you see or want to acknowledge the total and absolute insanity of life in America. Some of you are blatantly racist, ie.: "a dead gangbanger is a good gangbanger".

I think you are all sick in the head for commending and condoning the rotten violence and crazy behavior of American society as if it is okay, normal, just fine for people to shoot ( or "to have to" shoot ) each other to death, senselessly, everyday. ...Is life of no value..?

I just don't understand your banal and amoral acceptance of gun violence as a reasonable form of status quo.

I hope that the next generation outgrows the false and twisted sickness that accepts the presence and ownership of guns among ordinary citizens... Only police should be permitted to use firearms, and then, only under extraordinary circumstances...

As you probably saw in yesterday's U.S. news, a six year old child took his mom's gun to school and shot his teacher. This shows the pathological, deeply engrained insanity of everyday life in America...
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

orichá wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:42 pm I don't get it. None of you see or want to acknowledge the total and absolute insanity of life in America. Some of you are blatantly racist, ie.: "a dead gangbanger is a good gangbanger".

I think you are all sick in the head for commending and condoning the rotten violence and crazy behavior of American society as if it is okay, normal, just fine for people to shoot ( or "to have to" shoot ) each other to death, senselessly, everyday. ...Is life of no value..?

I just don't understand your banal and amoral acceptance of gun violence as a reasonable form of status quo.

I hope that the next generation outgrows the false and twisted sickness that accepts the presence and ownership of guns among ordinary citizens... Only police should be permitted to use firearms, and then, only under extraordinary circumstances...

As you probably saw in yesterday's U.S. news, a six year old child took his mom's gun to school and shot his teacher. This shows the pathological, deeply engrained insanity of everyday life in America...
Your description of the gun violence situation isn't wrong, but how would you change it or solve the problem? I don't see much benefit in merely lamenting the insanity, and hoping that the next generation will have different views seems quite naive to me.

Even if you enforce that ordinary citizens can't legally own/carry firearms, that would apply to law-abiding citizens only. The problem is, of course, that criminals would still have guns. As seen in many other countries.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Alex wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:01 am
orichá wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:42 pm I don't get it. None of you see or want to acknowledge the total and absolute insanity of life in America. Some of you are blatantly racist, ie.: "a dead gangbanger is a good gangbanger".

Your description of the gun violence situation isn't wrong, but how would you change it or solve the problem? I don't see much benefit in merely lamenting the insanity, and hoping that the next generation will have different views seems quite naive to me.

Even if you enforce that ordinary citizens can't legally own/carry firearms, that would apply to law-abiding citizens only. The problem is, of course, that criminals would still have guns. As seen in many other countries.
With all due respect, you are only a law abiding citizen until you break the law. The majority of mass shooters purchase their weapons legally. It’s how each state applies the laws. If you have a situation, like where gun straw purchases are allowed, no background checks are required and any criminal can obtain a weapon. If you have a situation where a state has no red flag laws, any individual can obtain a weapon.

There are ways to keep weapons out of criminals hands. Unfortunately some states here don’t provide the Federal Government with the appropriate information to deny someone the abllity to purchase the weapon legally, and some states allow gun purchases through straw transactions. So until that is rectified, nothing can or will be done.
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

violet wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:19 pm
Alex wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:38 pm
violet wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:03 pm
Alex wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:55 am
violet wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:15 am Total overkill.
I’d like to know how he feels about the number of shots he fired now. Does he shrug and think the guy had it coming, or does he think he was pumped up on adrenaline and couldn’t stop?
Why do you care how he feels about this? Everyone's different - even if you knew how he feels, that wouldn't help prepare you for a similar situation.

I disagree that it's "total overkill". In such a situation, there's simply no safe way to quickly establish if the threat has been eliminated completely, so firing all you got is the most sensible approach. Safety first.
Why do I care? No idea. I just do. It interests me. Why do you think it has anything to do with preparation? It never crossed my mind to ‘prepare’
Alright then, I'm just getting the impression that you're overthinking and overanalyzing what is a suddenly arising situation where there's essentially no time to think it through thoroughly before and while acting.

He saw an opportunity to eliminate the threat, decided to do that, and followed through. Thankfully, no others were hurt, which could easily have happened in many ways.

As others have said, he deserves a medal, not a bunch of know-it-alls pondering what he could have done better from the comfort of their couch. All things considered, he did a great job.
/tldr Violet rambled on again and there is nothing really worth reading in her comment. Everyone’s a know it all.

———
Aren’t all here a bunch of know it alls? It’s just there are different opinions.

I will sign out with a statement that I maintain it was overkill. I disagree he deserves a medal. I have changed my opinion as to whether he should have stayed after, as I can accept that he was at risk if he stayed.

People’s minds, choices, emotions interest me.
I’m hardly over analysing. I don’t give it thought other than when I come into the thread to read and to write. What I am doing is commenting based on my experience and opinions up to this point. I happen to be a person who listens/reads and considers what others say - unless they resort to name calling and stupid imaginations etc. so, no over analysis. Just a different person with an opinion different to many others engaging with the thread.

That doesn’t mean me or the rest of you are wrong or right.

I also think it’s narrow viewed when people say I’m not in his position, I’m sitting on my couch, etc etc. there are others who would be in his position and not fire so many shots. I feel confident I can make such a claim.

You can support his actions 100%. I’ll sit somewhere lower down the scale - no idea where - given the circumstances perhaps 50%. Perhaps 60%.

No one else was hurt. Some gun supporters will get louder as a result of what happened. Some potential criminals may hesitate in future.

Unless people can talk about it without being shut down with comments attacking people in some way, nothing much changes for the positive.
Violet if this was your movie how would you have scripted it?
Stay classy na
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

David Gordon wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:14 amViolet if this was your movie how would you have scripted it?
The purpose of movies is largely to entertain and make money.

Irrelevant.

If you are merely descriptively asking how I think it should have played out or how I would have acted, I’ve already inferred the first and the second is an unknown.

I’m in this thread because I’m learning to put my self in the shoes of people living in Texas, USA, where it’s an entirely different way of existing than anywhere I live.

I started out with my opinions based on my world experience. Like any good expat in a foreign culture, I’m Learning in this thread to shed a little bit of my non-Texan upbringing to not judge as someone from outside that system, but instead to perceive what makes Texas tick.

This does not mean my values and morals go out the window. It doesn’t mean I forget what I’ve learned from the luxury of a life outside that system and just give over to Texan ways. It means I adjust a little.

Perhaps somewhere along the way a little bit of me rubs off on the ‘Texans’.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

violet wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:38 am
David Gordon wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:14 amViolet if this was your movie how would you have scripted it?

Irrelevant.

If you are merely descriptively asking how I think it should have played out or how I would have acted, I’ve already inferred the first and the second is an unknown.

I’m in this thread because I’m learning to put my self in the shoes of people living in Texas, USA, where it’s an entirely different way of existing than anywhere I live.

I started out with my opinions based on my world experience. Like any good expat in a foreign culture, I’m Learning in this thread to shed a little bit of my non-Texan upbringing to not judge as someone from outside that system, but instead to perceive what makes Texas tick.

This does not mean my values and morals go out the window. It doesn’t mean I forget what I’ve learned from the luxury of a life outside that system and just give over to Texan ways. It means I adjust a little.

… so lame.

What exactly do think the man with the gun should have done, and what would you have done had you been sitting there with a gun in your holster?
Stay classy na
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Assuming all this is accurate, I'm not sad he is dead.

violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

David Gordon wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:37 am
violet wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:38 am

Irrelevant.

… so lame.

What exactly do think the man with the gun should have done, and what would you have done had you been sitting there with a gun in your holster?
Lame to you but that is where I’m at. I appreciate that many in this forum operate at a different level.

How the hell do I know how I’d react? Me as me at this point? Me as me who has had a gun in a holster for a moment, a lifetime? Me as me who has lived in Texas and is a knuckle dragger? Me in Texas who is from my background?

Fairyland
Last edited by violet on Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic