ALERT!!! Young US vlogger "almost trafficked" in Siem Reap

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
2sevensclash
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: ALERT!!! Young US vlogger "almost trafficked" in Siem Reap

Post by 2sevensclash »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:16 pm
orichá wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:12 pm YouTube is an utter waste of time. It's for illiterate people and for plasticky fake "influencers" who want to make money talking about any petty nonsense-impressions of anything unimportant...
You know you can watch documentaries, films, music videos, instructional videos, news and lots of other stuff on YouTube besides travel vloggers?
AND fluffy cute kittens
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

2sevensclash wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:43 pm
John Bingham wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:16 pm
orichá wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:12 pm YouTube is an utter waste of time. It's for illiterate people and for plasticky fake "influencers" who want to make money talking about any petty nonsense-impressions of anything unimportant...
You know you can watch documentaries, films, music videos, instructional videos, news and lots of other stuff on YouTube besides travel vloggers?
AND fluffy cute kittens

And don't forget psychological torture videos like this 10 hour one:

:shock:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:11 pm if someone wants sell drugs, take selfies, makes you tube videos, be an influencer, builds houses, flies airplanes or shovels shit>
who really gives a fuck how anyone else makes money??
I don't

Money is money
as long as your satisfied with how you make it, yea hats off to them one and all
I give a fuck. Apparently I'm a rare moralistic dinosaur.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

siliconlife wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:46 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:11 pm if someone wants sell drugs, take selfies, makes you tube videos, be an influencer, builds houses, flies airplanes or shovels shit>
who really gives a fuck how anyone else makes money??
I don't

Money is money
as long as your satisfied with how you make it, yea hats off to them one and all
I give a fuck. Apparently I'm a rare moralistic dinosaur.
Kidnapping, extortion, selling meth to kids, mugging old folks, burglary, land-grabbing, usury, illegal gem-dealing - it's all fine with Richard - money is money. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:31 am
ItWasntMe wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:41 am What sucks is I've been working hard to save enough money to be able to travel and live this life while these mofos are making even more money by simply doing it with the addition of a GoPro.

Seriously annoying. Fuck em all!

:beer2:
:please:
JEALOUS that someone thought of a way to make $$$ while you work your ass off?

I say Hats off to them!!! :beer3:
A tounge in cheek comment ;)

I follow a bunch of traveling youtubers and many other variants, more entertaining than most Netflix shows foh sho.

Would recommend Bald & Bankrupt for traveling, he really goes into the details and history of the places he visits. With a certain fascination for the old Soviet union.

Far & Fearless is another really good one doing extreme but well documented stuff. Been doing mostly Africa lately.

How People Live another very good one from a Russian guy. Does a bit of everything but it's extreme and informative.

Not too much for the people eating streetfood in Phnom Penh or whatever but with the right character I guess that's fun also :)

Cheers!
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Seasquatch
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Seasquatch »

orichá wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:56 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:44 pm
Vidiots... that's a keeper.
I did not coin this term... "Vidiots" was spoken by Dennis Hopper, I think, in the picture, "Blue Velvet" by David Lynch, way back in 1986...

Dennis also said, "You’re like a turd that won’t flush."

(Now there's a REAL hoodlum who fucked more sluts than any of you old amateur shysters...)
Coined before in this gem of an American film - Joysticks, where the main antagonist is named "King Vidiot", a highly entertaining low brow tits and ass movie with a good slice of nostalgia for anyone old enough to have spent their youth in the arcade, free on Tubi, also on youtube.

Fun fact: After rewatching it a couple years ago since the 80s, I realized I somehow/somewhere acquired the Hawaiian shirt the fat dude wears.

https://tubitv.com/movies/413152/joysticks

------
aka Yankee Gringo Gaijin aka Seppy Yank
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

Weird that so many appear triggered by some guy making YouTube videos. I am always more amazed by the fact one can apparently monetise these videos, the fact that there have been so many views on some vid. Popularity, lowest common denominator etc. etc.

Also amazed that Videodrome is already 40 years of age, if you have never seen this film it is a must-see and available integrally on the Internet Archive (link below). Directed by David Cronenberg, starring Debbie Harry and James Woods.

Although the effects are rather dated from a 2023 lens, the predictions on media consumption and viral videos (pun intended!) are still relevant today.

https://archive.org/details/videodrome-1983-720p

mikeukt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by mikeukt »

Videodrome: Remember it very well. Agree with all of Flexxman's comments. Great movie. and yes, prophetic. What goes around does sometimes comes back around.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Could say the same about ExiztenZ, Cosmopolis, and Eastern Promises, the guy is quite on an edge between science fiction, anticipation, and twisted fantasies of his own, of his time and beyond....
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Ghostwriter wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:50 am Could say the same about ExiztenZ, Cosmopolis, and Eastern Promises, the guy is quite on an edge between science fiction, anticipation, and twisted fantasies of his own, of his time and beyond....
Seen the new Crimes of the Future? Classic Cronenberg divisiveness.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic