It's been good thanks for the help but I'm out of here.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Re: It's been good thanks for the help but I'm out of here.

Post by Arget »

atst wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:56 pm CE0 is great it's made my Cambodia experience so much more. With a lot of sole searching these last 7 years of retirement I've come to this.
I'm happerly settled down in my little piece of Cambodia with my girl and two adopted kid's ( long story ) hope you all find your little piece of Cambodia that suits you.

Good night
Take care mate and enjoy your family. Happiness is what life is about.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

hanno wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:20 pm
Gazzy wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:08 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:26 pm Best of luck

tried Cambodia 3 times now,
2008/09 10 months
2014 3 months
2021/22 1 7months

I found Cambodia life is not for me even though the wife is at home there
May I ask why it's not?
Because nothing compares to Thailand. Everything is better over there: the girls, the beer, even the dictatorship.
And they’ve got Draught guinness.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Gazzy wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:40 am
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:20 am

2008/09 10 months
2014 3 months
2021/22 1 7months

May I ask why it's not?
Why not?
To nosy, to much trash everywhere, Chaotic traffic & disregard for traffic laws, Cambodians total lack of respect to anyone, everyone and everything
Access to better beaches, better food at better prices
Most of all; for me;;;Quality of life

To each their own

yea thai beer sucks when you compare it to Burma, German, Laos, Japan & Mexican for sure :-)
I agree with all you say but isn't Thailand way more expensive? I presume you're talking about Bangkok.
I think that Thailand is more expensive than Cambodia is a myth. I spend a lot more money in Phnom Penh than I spend in Bangkok day to day, and if I moved from Bangkok (where i live now) to Phnom Penh (where I'm a frequent visitor nowadays), I would struggle to find a condo of the same quality that isn't outrageously expensive.

Unless you can do the $500/month Kampot lifestyle thing or your diet is based mostly on local beer and cigarettes, Thailand comes out cheaper.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

Alex wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:05 am

2008/09 10 months
2014 3 months
2021/22 1 7months

May I ask why it's not?
Why not?
To nosy, to much trash everywhere, Chaotic traffic & disregard for traffic laws, Cambodians total lack of respect to anyone, everyone and everything

To each their own

yea thai beer sucks when you compare it to Burma, German, Laos, Japan & Mexican for sure :-)
I agree with all you say but isn't Thailand way more expensive? I presume you're talking about Bangkok.
I think that Thailand is more expensive than Cambodia is a myth. I spend a lot more money in Phnom Penh than I spend in Bangkok day to day, and if I moved from Bangkok (where i live now) to Phnom Penh (where I'm a frequent visitor nowadays), I would struggle to find a condo of the same quality that isn't outrageously expensive.

Unless you can do the $500/month Kampot lifestyle thing or your diet is based mostly on local beer and cigarettes, Thailand comes out cheaper.
Totally agree. Rents probably comparable dollar wise, but the quality is twice as good.. House prices way cheaper - quality way better. Electricity cheaper (a lot). People generally drive way less selfishly and have enough brain cells to actually understand why road rules exist and can generally follow them. Postie delivers mail. Food options better beyond belief. Then there's things like sensible hospitals and great beaches.

What's more expensive in Thailand? Smokes for sure, alcohol in general yes. Beyond that everything else is comparable, but arguably cheaper as you get better quality and therefore more value for your $. My comments based on actual experience - 13 years full time in Thailand and 9 years full time in PP (in that order).
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Alex wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:05 am

2008/09 10 months
2014 3 months
2021/22 1 7months

May I ask why it's not?
Why not?

To each their own

I wish I liked Bangkok more, I would move there in a heartbeat if only I could find my groove there. The housing stock in PP is absolute crap, unless you pay $1000+ and even then the quality of the condos is a joke, the furniture even sadder and the fire escapes non-existent.

Plus you can go to one supermarket and buy all your groceries, and you have a choice of supermarkets that this can be achieved in; luxury...

Shopping in PP is like living in a village in the UK in the 1980's and Spar or the Co-Op is all you have. At least you had a butcher and a fishmonger back then.

Edit: I forgot another thing - they have real hospitals and doctors in Thailand
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I have been twice in Thailand now, and when i crossed the border last week on 27th, it felt like coming home, it made me sensable, just from the moment you can speak again the khmer language and hardley see ladyboys anymore. I wont speak bad about Thailand, but Phnom Penh is my thing. happy to be home again.
Maybe if i am 20 years older and need real doctors or hopitals, i changed my opinion.
Oooh, yes, i love Phnom Penh: The damage of my car was repaired on street 107. Dropped it in the evening around 5 pm, next day ready 5 pm. Better than new: Price 150 US !! ??
Saw a scottish lady who works for an insurance company, and she said, 5000 GBP in Scotland . . .
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Ugh! Yet another topic derailed into Cambodia vs Thailand and which one is cheaper (as if that's all that matters). Did atst say he was moving to Thailand? :facepalm:
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

He actually stated he was settling down in Cambodia with his girl.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:01 am
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:20 am Cambodians total lack of respect to anyone, everyone and everything
That's a two way street. Of course they won't respect someone who despises them and belittles them at every opportunity.
Yeah, made me wonder where and who some people hang out or the attitude they have to start with. My experience hasn't been anywhere near as stated above.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Kenr wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:33 am He actually stated he was settling down in Cambodia with his girl.
Yes, so why the discussion around Thailand? AFAIK atst isn't moving from Thailand to Cambodia. I'll stand corrected if not the case tho.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic