Thailand ranks 30th in worlds cuisine WTF??

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Thailand ranks 30th in worlds cuisine WTF??

Post by Anchor Moy »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:49 pm
crob wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:03 pm feel like I'm the only one who dislikes Italian food
I love pizza, Italian cold cuts and cured meats

Pasta less so. Sparing amounts of very flavorful pasta dishes is OK but couldn't eat it daily. Stodge
:soapbox:
Stop right there! Pasta is not stodge if it is cooked correctly. When it is good, it is very very good, and when it is bad, yes, you may have a point.
The best dishes from anywhere are usually quite simple and made with a mix of local ingredients - impossible to replicate exactly the same dish elsewhere because the ingredients are just not as fresh or as good.
Signed, an anonymous lover of Italian food :OD:
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

truffledog wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:58 pm
crob wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:03 pm feel like I'm the only one who dislikes Italian food
I womder if you ever been to Italy. Probably not.
yes, i have been to Italy... only 6 nights though.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Food should be rated on quality, like a fuel, which is what it is.
For this reason, Italy warrant a high ranking, as do Greece, Japan, Mexico, Peru, China (HK & Macao), even USA, with the outlined foods of apples and oranges, salmon and presumably, whole grain sandwiches. And Costa Rica could possibly go up a couple of notches, based on life longevity due to, in part, diet.
This list loses all potency and credibility, by having England ranking high with the likes of sticky date pudding; a product that can cause obesity, diabetes, heart/artery problems (angina), liver disease, depression, and, amongst others, can kill you (sorry about the buzz-kill, but I'm talking about the list's validity).
Regions in Italy, Greece, USA, Japan and Costa Rica have the highest life expectancies in the world (Blue Zones).
Food contributes massively to this, in all five regions.
All eat beans, veggies, fruit, and certain oils.
Fuck Aikens and paleo, the diets are quite high in carbs.
Apart from the 7-Day Adventist, in the US, they all drink red wine, regularly. :Yahoo!: Yaaah! Fact: Moderate drinkers outlive non-drinkers. :beer3:
There are other contributing factors, that would be good for a different thread, like natural exercise, family values, time out to socialize, purposeful lives, close group of friends... And some of these, + rural majority and no Maccas (instead, rice, veges, fish and insects), pushed up Cambodia's life expectancy in the last 10 years, from 54 to 72 (it was <19, during KR, with half the population under 15!).
The good news is, that based on this, my life expectancy should be around 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday, which means I have enough money to last me the rest of my life.
Beans, beans, good for your heart. The more you eat, the more you fart.
The more you fart, the better you feel. Eat beans for every meal.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic