Thailand ranks 30th in worlds cuisine WTF??

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Thailand ranks 30th in worlds cuisine WTF??

Post by John Bingham »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:33 pm
John Bingham wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:12 pm Not everyone thinks Thailand is the most wonderful place in the world. What's so good about the food anyway?
It’s not about whether Thailand is the most wonderful place, though.
Did you notice who posted it and the dig he made at Cambodia (again)?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

If you break it down by dishes on the same site they have a Thai curry ranked #6 in the world

Mind you, a Japanese schnitzel is #1 and a steak in Brazil as #2

So it's a wank website lol
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

Kuroneko wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:39 pm If you check the list it is about commodities rather than cuisine English cuisine best rated food is Worcestershire Sauce, Thai is Sriracha, French is Mont D'or cheese,Greek is Kalamata olive oil, :D etc

https://www.tasteatlas.com/best/cuisines
Mmmm... found some yummy Mont d'Or from Les Monts de Joux at Kiwi For $6 (70% discount)

The big fear is that following the buy out by Thailand's Big C Group their quality and range will plummet.

As to why Thailand didn't rank higher in the linked list, perhaps they hadn't sampled the delights at 7/11 :stir:

But I love Thai food, simple and dramatic in a way that Italian can be, and easy to 'get'. Hence their international popularity.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Random Dude wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:18 pm My first thought was that can't be right, everyone I know loves Thai food, there are Thai restaurants everywhere you go, that must mean something.

I googled the website and according to wikipedia ....

Reportedly, the company does not intend to compete with the likes of Michelin guide or Tripadvisor,[6] as it sees its niche between haute cuisine recommendations of the former and popular tourist places of the latter,[12] none of which focus on traditional dishes.[5] The site uses reviews and recommendations from gastronomy professionals and critics reviews instead of user-generated content, citing trustworthiness as the main reason.[13] It is a recommended curriculum resource in several education systems, such as in Ireland[14] and Kansas[15]

So to me that suggests food snobs made the list, as opposed to uneducated munters like me. Sort of like when you read a movie review from some pretentious film critic who studied drama, art etc. They usually rave about weird shit almost nobody even understands let alone likes, meanwhile, the latest diehard flick is killing it in the box office.

I bet if the average bloke on the street was asked Thai food would be in the top 10 at least.
Absolutely nailed it.

Anyway, I tend to disregard these "best" lists. It does not matter who compiles them, there is always a hidden agenda involved. Or, in the words of Churchill:
the only statistics you can trust are the ones you have falsified yourself
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Wait until @truffledog wakes up and sees this...
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Stravaiger wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:19 pm
Kuroneko wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:39 pm If you check the list it is about commodities rather than cuisine English cuisine best rated food is Worcestershire Sauce, Thai is Sriracha, French is Mont D'or cheese,Greek is Kalamata olive oil, :D etc

Mmmm... found some yummy Mont d'Or from Les Monts de Joux at Kiwi For $6 (70% discount)

The big fear is that following the buy out by Thailand's Big C Group their quality and range will plummet.

As to why Thailand didn't rank higher in the linked list, perhaps they hadn't sampled the delights at 7/11 :stir:

But I love Thai food, simple and dramatic in a way that Italian can be, and easy to 'get'. Hence their international popularity.
I know a French guy that was involved with cheese importation from France and they supplied Kiwi Premium as their main retail outlet and Kiwi did a good trade as a result, the rest were traded directly to large end users and smaller shops.

I recommended Kiwi Premium to another member who also bought some good bargains recently. I hope they are just making way for a new supply and not clearing the stocks to make way for more processed crap.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

This thread inspired my evening meal
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:31 pm Image

love to see the metrics they used that ranked; Croatia, Iran, Philippines (right down there with Cambodian ( didn't make the top 95) in my book) the uk etc etc ahead of Thailand :stir:

To be fair the Philippines should be down that far, awful food. Only joking, maybe not 95 but should be the lowest of the SEA countries

Cambodia on the grand scheme of things is not great either, some good food but a lot of rubbish.

Can't fully understand why UK is above Thailand though :facepalm: and USA in the top 50 is scandalous
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

WTF no NZ pies
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:10 pm Image

This thread inspired my evening meal
Just ate this yesterday. Bought at a convenience store in Japan for 400 yen. Twas not bad.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic