How well stocked are pharmacies outside PP and Siem Reap?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
TimDrake
Tourist
Austria

How well stocked are pharmacies outside PP and Siem Reap?

Post by TimDrake »

Good day good Madams and Sirs,

Because of a long and complicated medical history, I need to take multiple medications/pharmaceutical drugs on a daily basis.
Those in the forum who read dome of my older posts already know about some of that.
I brought enough from home to last me a bit over a month. But I extended for nearly another month. And because of that I need to buy multiple medications here. Which was never a problem in PP or SR. They have everything I need, except for 1 very specific brand.

How are pharmacies stocked in other places? Say Sihanoukville, Kampot or Koh Rong?

Can you please share your experiences and maybe give me some helpful advice?
Thank you very much!

Kind regards
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: How well stocked are pharmacies outside PP and Siem Reap?

Post by Alex »

Not very well, and with many of the local pharmacies, I'd also worry about refrigeration. Can't you just buy whatever you need in Phnom Penh before heading to other places?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Kampot is not too bad. There is a UCare pharmacy (old market), and another good pharmacy on the riverfront where you can buy most things, and the pharmacian speaks English and seems quite professional. If they don't have what you need in stock, you can always order medicine from Phnom Penh to be delivered to Kampot and pick it up the next day. I think they get it from Pharmacie de la Gare in PP. Anyway, they call first to make sure if it's available.

Otherwise, in Sihanoukville, there used to be a decent pharmacy on the street going from Samudera supermarket toward Psar Leu on the right hand side. I haven't been there for a while, but don't see why it would be closed. Ask any expats, it's quite well known.

Koh Rong - I wouldn't risk getting stuck there without all the meds you need. But, someone else might have better info.

Also, + 1 to what Alex said about conserving the drugs in this heat. Even drugs that do not need to be refrigerated can be spoiled if left out in the sun or in a hot place. If you read the notice (that little bit of paper) that comes with the medicine, there is quite often a "maximum storage temperature" ,which can be as low as 25°C. That makes it hard or almost impossible if you are traveling around Cambodia with these drugs, but don't forget that the drug companies have to project the worst scenario possible to cover their arses for legal reasons, so don't worry too much, use common sense etc.
One more thing, if you get medicine from a small provincial pharmacy, make sure that you check the original packaging to be sure that
1/it is really the medicine and the dose that you need,
and 2/the expiry date is somewhere in the future not the past
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

TimDrake wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:11 pm Good day good Madams and Sirs,

Because of a long and complicated medical history, I need to take multiple medications/pharmaceutical drugs on a daily basis.
Those in the forum who read dome of my older posts already know about some of that.
I brought enough from home to last me a bit over a month. But I extended for nearly another month. And because of that I need to buy multiple medications here. Which was never a problem in PP or SR. They have everything I need, except for 1 very specific brand.

How are pharmacies stocked in other places? Say Sihanoukville, Kampot or Koh Rong?

Can you please share your experiences and maybe give me some helpful advice?
Thank you very much!

Kind regards
Why not buy the stuff in Phnom Penh once every sex months and take it with you? Generally pharmacies outside of the few well stocked ones in Phnom Penh have a pretty limited selection on offer.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

OK, OP, I tested Kampot for you ! :2girlsit8:

I went to the pharmacy on Kampot riverfront today - it's between old and new bridges facing the river. The woman pharmacist immediately identified the specific medicine I was looking for, even though it's not common, and she obviously knew her stuff, gave advice on dosage and take with meals etc.
So, for people in Kampot, I would not hesitate to recommend this pharmacy. It's a cut above average for the provinces, with a trained pharmacist in charge. She speaks English - and probably some French.
Recommend. :thumb:
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Also, adding to what Anchor said

If you know the UCare in Phnom Penh stocks the medication you need and get to one in SR or Kampot to find out they don't stock it, they'll ship it from Phnom Penh for free.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Darkcel wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:01 pm Also, adding to what Anchor said

If you know the UCare in Phnom Penh stocks the medication you need and get to one in SR or Kampot to find out they don't stock it, they'll ship it from Phnom Penh for free.
Generally I find the selection at UCare unimpressive.....
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:17 pm

Why not buy the stuff in Phnom Penh once every sex months .....
Oops...
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:50 pm
Kammekor wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:17 pm

Why not buy the stuff in Phnom Penh once every sex months .....
Oops...
Good idea. :thumb: :plus1:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic