volunteering

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
2sevensclash
Expatriate
Great Britain

volunteering

Post by 2sevensclash »

My 19 year old niece is travelling round Asia and will be in KOW at the end of the month. She is in Bali right now we spoke on the phone and said she was thinking about volunteering somewhere for a few weeks, she had no idea of what to do. The line was bad so I couldn't get it across to her that many of the kids charities are like petting zoos, it seems lots of idealistic youngsters tend to gravitate towards helping kids although she didn't say that was what she was looking at.

I know her and i don't think she is virtue signalling for tik tok videos just a desire to do something different.
Anybody got any ideas.
violet
Expatriate

Re: volunteering

Post by violet »

One of the biggest issues with volunteering for ‘a few weeks’, is that in most (not all) cases the positive impact is in the form of how the volunteering individual feels about themselves.

A rotation of people each for a short amount of time is not likely to be a positive contribution to the children’s development/situation - the exception that comes to mind while writing would be if offering voluntary (skilled) medical assistance.

So, if she wants to do something different and have an experience beyond feeling like she developed who she is as a person, my advice would be to delay volunteer work until she can spend a significant amount of time doing it.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Violet is 100% correct. In addition no legitimate organization will allow anyone to volunteer for a couple 9f weeks. Minimum is 3 months after lots of checks and none would allow them near children. Good NGOs take volunteers based on skills they bring so if some specific skills she can offer them. E.g. IT, Admin etc.

Those who would allow short term volunteer are likely not good at best and dodgy at worst. They may take money or expose children or others to harm. Either way it is not helping anybody doing this most likely the opposite

In short advise her not to.
2sevensclash
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by 2sevensclash »

As I pointed out she did not mention working with kids and I pointed out why she shouldn't before she had a chance to suggest it for the reasons that you have both explained.

How about something with animals or maybe the environment ?

ps if you read my post you will see that I did advise her NOT to think about working with kids
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

2sevensclash wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:42 pm As I pointed out she did not mention working with kids and I pointed out why she shouldn't before she had a chance to suggest it for the reasons that you have both explained.

ps if you read my post you will see that I did advise her NOT to think about working with kids
Thanks for the clarification. Sometimes we write and think others will read as intended - but it often doesn’t work that way.

This didn’t say it as clearly as your last comment
2sevensclash wrote:“The line was bad so I couldn't get it across to her that many of the kids charities are like petting zoos, it seems lots of idealistic youngsters tend to gravitate towards helping kids although she didn't say that was what she was looking at.”

The fishing cat project may need some help depending on her skills let

There is an animal charity that often wants help. I’ll see if I can find the info.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
2sevensclash
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by 2sevensclash »

Maybe helping at a stray dog charity and getting to know a few locals or maybe an environment group that does beach clean ups ? I think she is interested in meeting some locals and getting away from the backpacker bubble for a spell.
I will be speaking to her soon so any suggestions will be passed on.

thank you

yeah I see what you mean, I tried to go into detail with her the reasons not to think about working with kids but the line was bad. I think i gave her food for thought though.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Do volunteers need work permits in Cambodia. ?

Tell her to forget about volunteering and just get out and travel as much as she can while she is young and has no responsibilities.
The right time to volunteer and give your time / money is after you have a trade or profession when it is something of importance that you can pass on to others who are not as privileged as yourself.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Tootsfriend wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:23 pm Do volunteers need work permits in Cambodia. ?
No. Legally it's only allowed to volunteer through organizations having an MoU with the Royal Cambodian Government. Those people are exempted from taxes if they receive supporting money for their support and will get a special free ('NGO') visa.

However, it you come in on a tourist- or ordinary visa, you volunteer and while doing so you extend your visa nobody will care. It's not legal though.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

2sevensclash wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:32 pm My 19 year old niece is travelling round Asia and will be in KOW at the end of the month. She is in Bali right now we spoke on the phone and said she was thinking about volunteering somewhere for a few weeks, she had no idea of what to do. The line was bad so I couldn't get it across to her that many of the kids charities are like petting zoos, it seems lots of idealistic youngsters tend to gravitate towards helping kids although she didn't say that was what she was looking at.

I know her and i don't think she is virtue signalling for tik tok videos just a desire to do something different.
Anybody got any ideas.
Having volunteered in Cambodia for two years I think it's generally not a good idea for a 19 year old to do so. Unless she has a specific skill set which is very useful and hard to find in Cambodia her actions will mainly be virtue signalling / window dressing. Not only could she do more harm then good, she could also be abused as a regular 'staff' thus holding a job otherwise appointed to a Cambodian, she could be abused in fund raising campaigns. There's all kind of negative side effects her presence in a Cambodian organization could have.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

2sevensclash wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:42 pm .

Thank you for your clarification but all the same what skills does she bring to an environmental or animal charity?; is she qualified in these subjects ?

Good environmental projects do the same as I mentioned. Bad ones will charge a few thousand dollars to plant some trees then once she's gone rip them up and wait for the next suckers

Volunteering can be great when planned properly not when doing it on a whim or as a last minute choice. As echoed by others.

I understand there is a young brit girl in Siem Reap running a ramshackle animal rescue centre called animals of our world who may need some help but would probably prefer real cash or goods donations.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic