Why aren't there any real taxis in Sihanoukville?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Why aren't there any real taxis in Sihanoukville?

Post by Mr Curious »

sounds like a guy I used named Narith. Lives in PP, English was pretty good. Wish I had not lost his card. Fast but not crazy. Older guy, maybe 50 somethin.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

wackyjacky wrote:I made it home from PNH in an hour & 45 once. I don't think I've even done it in 3 hours any other time. The guy drove fast but not crazy somehow. No blind corners. Unfortunately, I have no clue which card in a stack of 20 is his.

tbh i think that guy we had could have done it quicker but hte roads were pretty busy with everyone going back to their province for new year, it was easy over taking as it was only the road going to PP that was busy and the over taking lane was pretty free most of the way, we spent most of the journey in the left hand lane over taking lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Went from PP to Snooky on a holiday that HE had banned big trucks/beer trucks from highway #4. Took a little over half the usual time. If they made them put the containers and beer on the new railroad, the travel time PP/Snooky would be wonderful and safer. Won't happen as there is too much corruption money surrounding the container trucks.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

1:45 is seriously fast. My personal record is 1:30 but at a time when I was driving it every week.
Nowadays with more traffic, my family aboard an me not being a road regular anymore I still do it under 3 hours.
Cost in gas is about the same as a taxi.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Double post due to ceo serious lag
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

an hour n half is seriously quick! do you start timing from garment factories? lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

1 hr 30 mins? Its 260 odd k's. I'm calling bullshit on that time. Unless you were on a Jap pocket rocket and were suicidal. To do it in 2 hrs means you averaged 130 k/hr. Sorry mate - no fukn way.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Hotdigr wrote:1 hr 30 mins? Its 260 odd k's. I'm calling bullshit on that time. Unless you were on a Jap pocket rocket and were suicidal. To do it in 2 hrs means you averaged 130 k/hr. Sorry mate - no fukn way.
I am not suicidal for a bit. That time was done years ago when I also got a time from SR to PP that is even more unbelievable with much higher average speed.
The general has ridden my car and while that was only for a short commute, he could probably vouch that I am not a bullshitter and have the machine for my claims.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Barang_doa_slae wrote: The general has ridden my car and while that was only for a short commute, he could probably vouch that I am not a bullshitter and have the machine for my claims.
I do recall holding on right to whatever I could grab and thinking, "fuck, we're gonna end up splattered on the front of Cambodia Hot News."

I was most impressed with the sound system and the American hip-hop tunes.

Image Image
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

And I can't recall what car it was for the life of me, but it was most definitely a fast little sports car.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic