Why aren't there any real taxis in Sihanoukville?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Why aren't there any real taxis in Sihanoukville?

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

there is so many hotels and developments getting built up on the 3 roads that run out from the golden lions/beach road out to the road that leads to Otres, that area will be so built up soon, i quite like Sihanoukville the size it is, i come from a small city so its quite suited for me, plus i hate queing/waiting for beers :P haha i like to live in cambodia to get away from the western world, i dont want it to get too touristy, sihanoukvilles got a nice enough balance for me
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

[quote="Sailorman"]Baht bus's like in Pattaya, with a route from victory hill to the beach downtown via Independence beach would be a winner, then during high season add Otres, but you would have to have an extra rider with an AK-47 to deal with the tuk-tuk mafia, and/or be run by the police.[quote]

i do like the idea of the baht bus between victory and serendipity pier, think it would be popular (not with the tuk tuks obviously) but think it would be good business, it would stop me drink driving every night when im out for sure! :sorry:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Username Taken wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:not really most tourists and backpackers that come to sihanoukville now just go straight to koh rong, sihanoukvilles been very quiet this year and last year
I would be very surprised if the number of foreign tourists outnumbered the local tourists.
Jamie_Lambo wrote:where are you going to need to go in a meter taxi in sihanoukville? other than maybe otres
If I was visiting SHV with my wife and kids, and staying at the far end of Ocheteal, without a car or motorbike of my/our own, I can think of plenty of times when a taxi-meter would be very handy.
I agree with Jamie on the first point. Most backpackers on holiday go to Otres and the Islands now. In fact most tourists in Otres all seem to open a business!!

On the second point, I see the tuks tuks as being a quaint way of getting about in a relaxed beach town. i guess the drag from the beaches to Victory hill would be the taxi's main earner, but lets face it, they make more than a taxi would already from a vehicle that is like a 20th of the price.
Sometime soon I think the whole thing is going to go big, Just a few things to sort out first - like the next election.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

They definitely need taxis, but what the town needs is not high on the mafia's agenda.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

as a druggy sex tourist destination it is a giant fail.

maybe years ago.

sure, a little- VERY little.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Personally, I think Sinville is a giant fail in almost every respect.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

vladimir wrote:Personally, I think Sinville is a giant fail in almost every respect.
It must be because you are too narrow minded for a springbok.

As many people before you, you fail to realize that tourism has slipped to the third place in the province economy.
The two most important activities are the port and industrial output. Even construction may well be ahead of tourism nowadays.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

frank lee bent wrote:as a druggy sex tourist destination it is a giant fail.

maybe years ago.

Well, I don't think I've seen as many drugs around in one location since Goa in the 80's. I think it is probably possible to find anything there. Skanks? Imported from PP in the main I think. Busman's holiday.
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

juansweetpotato wrote:
frank lee bent wrote:as a druggy sex tourist destination it is a giant fail.

maybe years ago.

Well, I don't think I've seen as many drugs around in one location since Goa in the 80's. I think it is probably possible to find anything there. Skanks? Imported from PP in the main I think. Busman's holiday.
It is a druggy, sex tourist destination. The only reason it fails is that the drugs are all shit and the girls there are among the ugliest working girls in the world. I quite enjoy the pretense that Snooky is somehow full of decent but misunderstood folks where drugs and prostitution just happen to other less sensible people. Snooky is a favourite amongst retired sexpats and backpackers for a reason and it's not its filthy beaches.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

LOL. I wouldn't go looking for quality control in Cambodia just yet. The wealthier they get it seems the worse it gets.
Whats worse than a teacher with ethics working for a Cambodian language center? Working as a quality control manager with ethics in a Chinese/ Cambodian shoe factory. You take them out. They put them back in again.etc
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic