Cooking oils

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Cooking oils

Post by Duncan »

One would think that in Asia, where rice is just as abundant as sand is in the Arab countries, that rice bran oil would be as popular as crude oil is in the Arab countries. It seems that imported cooking oils like soy, rape seed and sunflower are in the same price range as rice bran oil, so why do most supermarket not stock rice bran oil. The only supply I can find at the moment is at Pencil. $2.80.
What type of cooking oil do you like and why ?

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Re: Cooking oils

Post by wackyjacky »

I use the cheapest 'extra virgin' I can find for Western stuff. If I need to crank up the heat, I use 'Healthy Chef'. Why I don't know, other than the packaging & the word 'healthy' must've had some effect on my subconscious.
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

Post by Advocatus Diaboli »

I think $2.80 for a rice oil is too expensive. I've never tested/tasted it but these kind of oils are never good. I would go for sunflower oil. Bit more expensive but tasty and healthy.
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

Post by Advocatus Diaboli »

wackyjacky wrote:I use the cheapest 'extra virgin' I can find for Western stuff. If I need to crank up the heat, I use 'Healthy Chef'. Why I don't know, other than the packaging & the word 'healthy' must've had some effect on my subconscious.
Have you ever tasted that 'Healthy Chef' ? Try it. Put a teaspoon of it in your mouth. It made me almost vomit. So your pork or beefsteak won't get really better by using this brand.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Advocatus Diaboli wrote:I think $2.80 for a rice oil is too expensive.

I've never tested/tasted it but these kind of oils are never good.

I would go for sunflower oil. Bit more expensive but tasty and healthy.

Prehaps you could clarify that statement. Why is a oil from rice not good.

As for Healthy Chef oil, what is it made from ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Advocatus Diaboli wrote:
wackyjacky wrote:I use the cheapest 'extra virgin' I can find for Western stuff. If I need to crank up the heat, I use 'Healthy Chef'. Why I don't know, other than the packaging & the word 'healthy' must've had some effect on my subconscious.
Have you ever tasted that 'Healthy Chef' ? Try it. Put a teaspoon of it in your mouth. It made me almost vomit. So your pork or beefsteak won't get really better by using this brand.
HC sounds delicious. I've never tried it.
Do they say what's in it ? Why is it supposed to be healthy ?
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

I use extra virgin olive oil for western cooking also in addition we use peanut oil and cold pressed extra virgin sesame oil (wife's favourite)

wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

Advocatus Diaboli wrote:
I actually have and it tastes like nothing IMO. Same as all the other safflower, canola, grape seed, and soybean oils I've had. ps: I went back and tasted it right now - statement confirmed, it's absolutely devoid of taste of any kind. It's soybean. Yours must have been old. If you don't use 'em up quickly, they're best left in the fridge.
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

I prefer animal fats for cooking; lard, beef dripping, goose fat, etc. Second, I'd use butter (for shallow frying, grilling, etc.) Finally, extra virgin olive oil, sunflower oil or mixed vegetable oil...
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

TheGrinchSR wrote:I prefer animal fats for cooking; lard, beef dripping, goose fat, etc. Second, I'd use butter (for shallow frying, grilling, etc.) Finally, extra virgin olive oil, sunflower oil or mixed vegetable oil...
Wow you're a brave man Grinch. Didn't you hear all that shit about deadly animal fats that will block up your arteries and kill you in your prime ? :shock:
But, then again, if you like delicious food and succulent sauces...
And they say goose fat is good for you - I love it to cook potatoes with garlic and herbs.OMG.

Most things, I cook with olive oil, sometimes a bit of butter, but those animal fats are soooo tasty.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic