Cooking oils

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Re: Cooking oils

Post by juansweetpotato »

When I can afford it, imported olive oil. Not extra virgin as it's no good for hard frying apparently. Next down would be that stuff made from the olive stones, still nearly $8 ltr! Then the Khmer cooking oil which is around 3,500 Riel for a 1/2 ltr.
Someone put me off that Healthy Chief stuff, glad to find out it is because it had probably gone off. Lucky has a huge pile of it.
Price of oil as is the price of many other things in this country is off the chart. I'd like to identify who the culprits are.

BTW anyone now what the Khmer stuff is made from? Veg oil or mixed or what? Its called Oileen brand.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Anchor Moy wrote:
TheGrinchSR wrote:I prefer animal fats for cooking; lard, beef dripping, goose fat, etc. Second, I'd use butter (for shallow frying, grilling, etc.) Finally, extra virgin olive oil, sunflower oil or mixed vegetable oil...
Wow you're a brave man Grinch. Didn't you hear all that shit about deadly animal fats that will block up your arteries and kill you in your prime ? :shock:
But, then again, if you like delicious food and succulent sauces...
And they say goose fat is good for you - I love it to cook potatoes with garlic and herbs.OMG.

Most things, I cook with olive oil, sometimes a bit of butter, but those animal fats are soooo tasty.
I figure we're all going to die at some point - might as well die from experiencing the best in life, than living forever and experiencing the worst... and animal fats are so damned tasty. I'm half Polish... and out in Poland they will usually serve you smalec with a meal, which is essentially congealed lard with bits of bacon in it... it's lovely, you spread it on bread and just munch your way through it. I took two English people out to Poland, both of whom said it sounded revolting - that lasted until the first bite, then they were hooked too. Now where did I leave my vodka?
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

juansweetpotato wrote:When I can afford it, imported olive oil. Not extra virgin as it's no good for hard frying apparently.
Extra virgin olive oil is ok for shallow frying, which is all I use it for. In fact its ok for deep frying but really not cost effective, for that I would use peanut oil which has a high smoke point and also has the advantage of not absorbing the flavour of the food you are cooking and therefore avoids any "cross contamination"of flavours.

Can I use extra virgin olive oils for frying?

Yes, but to be honest, refined olive oils (that is those labeled as ‘Pure’ or ‘Light’) are probably a more cost effective alternative when more than shallow frying. Refined olive oils also begin to smoke at a higher temperature than most extra virgin olive oils, making them more suited to deep frying. However, extra virgin olive oils are a far better alternative when shallow frying. It is commonly thought that extra virgin olive oil smokes at a low temperature. However, it is a fact that the lower the free fatty acidity (FFA) i.e. better oils, the higher the temperature at which the oil will begin to smoke. Therefore if you purchase high quality oil with an FFA less than 0.2%, then it will start to smoke at a temperature around 20C higher than your average supermarket EV imported from the EU. That’s a lot in culinary terms. http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/myth-b ... d-cooking/
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

Extra Virgin' is actually reasonable compared to most imported stuff here. I can usually find it for $8/lt or so. For that price in the States I'd have to go to Costco or Trader Joes.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

juansweetpotato wrote:BTW anyone now what the Khmer stuff is made from? Veg oil or mixed or what? Its called Oileen brand.
The Khmer oil we use is Palm Oil. :thumb:
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

peanut, rice bran is good. coconut for some kinds of baking.
maize oil is good too.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Olive oil for shallow frying and corn oil for deep-frying and some things like Mexican food, tortillas, popcorn, etc. Corn oil gives it that extra flavor. Also Lard for Mexican food. Doesn't taste right without it.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

^^^^^ Hard to be ambivalent about SM. After this post I'm all about the love
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Kuroneko wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:When I can afford it, imported olive oil. Not extra virgin as it's no good for hard frying apparently.
Extra virgin olive oil is ok for shallow frying, which is all I use it for. In fact its ok for deep frying but really not cost effective, for that I would use peanut oil which has a high smoke point and also has the advantage of not absorbing the flavour of the food you are cooking and therefore avoids any "cross contamination"of flavours.

Can I use extra virgin olive oils for frying?

Yes, but to be honest, refined olive oils (that is those labeled as ‘Pure’ or ‘Light’) are probably a more cost effective alternative when more than shallow frying. Refined olive oils also begin to smoke at a higher temperature than most extra virgin olive oils, making them more suited to deep frying. However, extra virgin olive oils are a far better alternative when shallow frying. It is commonly thought that extra virgin olive oil smokes at a low temperature. However, it is a fact that the lower the free fatty acidity (FFA) i.e. better oils, the higher the temperature at which the oil will begin to smoke. Therefore if you purchase high quality oil with an FFA less than 0.2%, then it will start to smoke at a temperature around 20C higher than your average supermarket EV imported from the EU. That’s a lot in culinary terms. http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/myth-b ... d-cooking/
Interesting info about olive oil. I have been reading health stuff about food since the late 70's. It's amazing how much the recommended food stuffs have changed over the years. Thanks for the update. I would also use peanut oil if I could afford it, fantastic stuff. I remember before oil prices went crazy you could get it for .75c a ltr in the UK.
Not sure what Oileen is and try not to look too closely, but it's a fair price as oils go in Cambodia. Back to the olive oil asap though. Oh yes, and butter for baking and possibly frying an egg every now and then as it tastes great. And lets not forget Bearnaise sauce. Yum. Sometimes it's healthier not to be too wealthy.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

Post by Advocatus Diaboli »

juansweetpotato wrote:BTW anyone now what the Khmer stuff is made from? Veg oil or mixed or what? Its called Oileen brand.
For the cooking oil that you buy at local markets I think they use Vietnamese or Malaysian castor oil that comes in 18 kg cans. They just refill it, either in little plastic bags or plastic bottles. 'Oileen" is palm oil. At least that's what they are saying. If it is then it would be perfect for cooking.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic