Not just another travel vlogger

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Private Nuts
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Not just another travel vlogger

Post by Private Nuts »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:21 pm Follow sports teams, players, business personalities, science, anything but a skill-less moron, that you're idolizing and making rich.

23 is the new 12. 30 is the new 20. Because the generations are perfecting the art of getting rich without working, by improving on the gen before.

They get idiot groupies and do things like go to forums, about the countries where they are heading, or at, sock up and say "he's cool," to everyone, to which he socks to himself, "yeah, man, he's the best. I love him (yes you do)."

And as a trailer, a third sock will mention a scene where you might miss a white lady saying "monkey took my stick." He says that because she actually said "Man, Kurt makes me sick!"
Not sure if you're responding to me or just commenting in general.
What's a sock?.

"Skill-less moron". Well in terms of Kurt Caz, he's the only white vlogger I've seen walk dangerous parts of Africa unguarded, just using his street smarts and handing out advice on how to not get scammed. That was the value I saw in him. I see no problem with getting advice from those who can teach you things. But once the student learns there's a point where the student must leave the teacher.
Mentors are great, but they are one on one, YouTubers and Influencers aren't.
I have a mentor for my alcohol problems that I subscribe to through YouTube/patreon, Kevin o hara of habitsV2 and that's a mentoring relationship with options for one on one and so forth.

Timmy Karter?, so Idolising is a strange word, I certainly don't idolise him, I enjoy watching travellers who have positive energy and make the people around them on their travels happy. It inspires me to act in a similar fashion. I think it's important to have positive people in your YouTube algorithm, that's why I got rid of Kurt Caz, as I've learnt what I needed to from him and have no use for him anymore.

As this is a Thailand part of the forum, my favourite Thailand vlogger is a guy called Geoff Carter. Why, because he has such positive energy and also genuine positivity. You can tell he's not acting, trying to get views, he's trying to spread happiness and so he's combining travel tips with positive energy and showing you the results you'll get if you replicate that type of energy in that environment.

So I don't care if Timmy's 27 and Geoff's 60, I'm subscribed to them as a reminder to be a person who walks out the door and makes others feel good. The added benefit of such a reminder is that, when you make others feel good, they respond well and it makes you feel better. It's an upward spiral of positivity.

But, this optimism can sometimes lead to too much trusting and getting scammed. I have been scammed so many times. So both Kurt and Timmy are good for showing you scams. I think Timmy learnt how to be less naive and be more street wise and not get scammed from his time with Kurt, but having learnt that lesson wants to produce positive uplifting content and teach about how not to get scammed.

I don't think travel bloggers get groupies, but perhaps you are right. I know the number one job goal in most schools nowadays is "influencer/YouTuber", which is not good.

Yes I agree, it's good advice, follow inspirational people, I like David Goggins for exercise, Jordan Peterson, Andrew Huberman for neuroscience and reading and philosophy and debate. Surrounding yourself with people who will challenge you to be your best self. Nietzsche says "the man of knowledge must be able to love his enemies, but hate his friends". Because your enemies will teach you things that your friends will or cannot. I don't hate the trolls, instead I laugh, I use them as a reminder that I too have and could again end up down that path if I don't hold onto and remind myself that that's a downward spiral that i could again find myself in. Peace and happiness to you all. Private Nuts.
snookieboi
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by snookieboi »

I think a big issue is that people think that Kurt is an "expert traveller", but anybody who's seen his Thailand video will realise that the guy is basically clueless as to where to visit, making poor choices, and also being disrespectful, whilst giving the viewer a very bad representation of Thailand, which has a lot of really good things to offer.

Another reason why some might think he's an "expert' is because he speaks a little bit of Spanish and he goes to the dodgy looking parts of the City, which are actually normal parts of the City, and generally safe during the daytime.
It just so happens that South American Cities look worse than they actually are.
If he does venture to a "dangerous area" its mostly in its outskirts, which are relatively safe.
And I've spent numerous years travelling in Latin America, so i have real life travel experience.

And also I just want to say that I seriously doubt that Kurt set out to cause any problems. However unfortunately it is possible to cause problems by being irresponsible when filming people.
But this doesn't only happen to Kurt, but also to the Vlogger complaing about him: Timmy, who has put dodgy people on his videos or incorrectly placed thumbnails, without thinking of possible repercussions for those people later on, and there is no way you're finding out if these people later got into trouble because they don't keep in contact, and also in Colombia for example, there is no restriction on internet, so not only are the Local people, but also the Colombian Police, are free to identify anybody who has been interacting in a perceived negative manner with the Tourist, and judge them according.Etc.
And they can be quite strict with this type of behaviour, also.

So for one vlogger to call out another, when they are doing the same, is a bit hippocritical to say the least.

They are both young Men, and need to take care when making videos, who they film, and use as thumbnails. Etc.
They both might think they know South America, because they been going from City to City, and speak some Spanish, but the reality is they don't. And only have a vague idea.
They dont live there, but pass thru.
Not the same.
They don't have to deal with the repercussions when they film people, and move onto the next destination.
Be that Colombia, Peru, Cuba, Etc.
They are not the ones "left behind" to face the music.

Vloggers have a duty to work within "Responsible Tourism".
Promotion of dodgy areas might attract views,for example, but also might inspire others, who then have bad luck, get badly hurt, or worse.Etc.

But don't worry. Another thing people are forgetting is that they're both very young.
So we have to give them both the benefit of the doubt, because they are still basically "newbies".
Kurt for example is only like 23 or 24, and obviously at that age not thinking with the maturity of an older person.
Hopefully they can think before posting videos in the future, as to prevent future similar problems.
I mean it's not even as if they have to do any more vlogging, especially in the case of Kurt, who is probably already a millionaire!
More than just any old backpacker.
Private Nuts
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Private Nuts »

snookieboi wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:38 pm I think a big issue is that people think that Kurt is an "expert traveller", but anybody who's seen his Thailand video will realise that the guy is basically clueless as to where to visit, making poor choices, and also being disrespectful, whilst giving the viewer a very bad representation of Thailand, which has a lot of really good things to offer.

Another reason why some might think he's an "expert' is because he speaks a little bit of Spanish and he goes to the dodgy looking parts of the City, which are actually normal parts of the City, and generally safe during the daytime.
It just so happens that South American Cities look worse than they actually are.
If he does venture to a "dangerous area" its mostly in its outskirts, which are relatively safe.
And I've spent numerous years travelling in Latin America, so i have real life travel experience.

And also I just want to say that I seriously doubt that Kurt set out to cause any problems. However unfortunately it is possible to cause problems by being irresponsible when filming people.
But this doesn't only happen to Kurt, but also to the Vlogger complaing about him: Timmy, who has put dodgy people on his videos or incorrectly placed thumbnails, without thinking of possible repercussions for those people later on, and there is no way you're finding out if these people later got into trouble because they don't keep in contact, and also in Colombia for example, there is no restriction on internet, so not only are the Local people, but also the Colombian Police, are free to identify anybody who has been interacting in a perceived negative manner with the Tourist, and judge them according.Etc.
And they can be quite strict with this type of behaviour, also.

So for one vlogger to call out another, when they are doing the same, is a bit hippocritical to say the least.

They are both young Men, and need to take care when making videos, who they film, and use as thumbnails. Etc.
They both might think they know South America, because they been going from City to City, and speak some Spanish, but the reality is they don't. And only have a vague idea.
They dont live there, but pass thru.
Not the same.
They don't have to deal with the repercussions when they film people, and move onto the next destination.
Be that Colombia, Peru, Cuba, Etc.
They are not the ones "left behind" to face the music.

Vloggers have a duty to work within "Responsible Tourism".
Promotion of dodgy areas might attract views,for example, but also might inspire others, who then have bad luck, get badly hurt, or worse.Etc.

But don't worry. Another thing people are forgetting is that they're both very young.
So we have to give them both the benefit of the doubt, because they are still basically "newbies".
Kurt for example is only like 23 or 24, and obviously at that age not thinking with the maturity of an older person.
Hopefully they can think before posting videos in the future, as to prevent future similar problems.
I mean it's not even as if they have to do any more vlogging, especially in the case of Kurt, who is probably already a millionaire!
Great post. Unfortunately they are adults, yes, young. But under the law they are adults. As are those harmed. In a GOOD court of law usually age is taken into consideration. Is some places it doesn't matter. The law is the law. But good insight for those of us who havn't been to South America or Africa.
I highly highly doubt would go back to Cuba to apologise, worst chess move in history. If I was him, I'd dissapear, take my millions and retire. Then, wait for the nightmares of the suffering he has created through his negligence to start entering his nightmares, which I spoke about in my crime and punishment, Dostoevsky post and get myself to a psychologist and doctor of philosophy at a uni, which he can now afford and examine ways to deal with this weight that, unless he's a psychopath, will weigh on his shoulders in a way.... I mean, how could I sleep well in my millionaire apartment knowing I'm doing so having put people in a third world prison. You can't, if you're not a psychopath. I don't believe he is. He's the train wreck that occurs when people don't think through things. I agree, Timmy posted some stuff, I mean I don't know about Cuban politics and cops and law. Imagine having that sitting in the back of your mind for the next not just twenty years, but once they're released, it's not a reset button. They'll never be the same, those who were imprisoned.
Let's try an experiment.....
Let's imagine we are Kurt Caz right now.
What would you do?.
What philosopher are you going to follow?. Nietzsche, Kiekergaard?, Socrates?. In your opinion, which actually doesn't matter, but hypothetically, put yourself in his shoes. What would you do? and why?.
snookieboi
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by snookieboi »

Just because Timmy chose to believe what a Drunken Cuban said was true, doesn't actually mean it is.
Timmy should have verified this to be certain.
I do believe Kurt gifted a person some money, so I doubt he's as bad as some are making out.

Finally, it's possible this is a stunt to bring views to the Channels.

Watch out for Tim and Kurt suddenly be becoming friends again, after a "misunderstanding". Lol.😉
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Who cares?
snookieboi
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by snookieboi »

Kenr wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:23 pmWho cares?
Agreed.

The subject matter has little to do with Thailand.
Most of his stuff is about South America, and there's plenty of better Vloggers out there...
angsta
Expatriate
Iran

Post by angsta »

snookieboi wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:06 am
Agreed.

Most of his stuff is about South America, and there's plenty of better Vloggers out there...
This Kurtz moron so desperately wants to be Bald and Bankrupt in Spanish, it is painful to watch. Watch our hero Kurtz go to the most dangerous ghetto in Colombia at 7.45am on a Tuesday morning, when everyone is asleep. He is such an arrogant little twat I found his stuff painful. He stated that before he moved to Colombia, very few foreigners lived there. Just clueless. They just didn't film everything they did and stick it on YouTube you ass clown.
Going to Cuba and flashing your wealth? Awful little man. The reason I had for watching his content is that I was hoping someone would kick the shit out of him. Sadly, that is yet to happen. I saw the money changing, the cigars and those girls on the beach. He is proper thick. One of those shorts had 8 million views.
As for 'Mr white man in Africa', I saw him getting bullied on a beach in Kenya of all places, whilst telling the locals that he was African as well. They were just laughing at him. Thailand is too commercial, I am too good for this! Hello, it is 2023, not 1983. You are a bit late, son. As for the cheap rat scouser he hangs out with. No comment.
AinC reels off an eloquent and thought provoking monologue adlib
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

angsta wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:29 pm
snookieboi wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:06 am
Agreed.

This Kurtz moron so desperately wants to be Bald and Bankrupt in Spanish, it is painful to watch. Watch our hero Kurtz go to the most dangerous ghetto in Colombia at 7.45am on a Tuesday morning, when everyone is asleep. He is such an arrogant little twat I found his stuff painful. He stated that before he moved to Colombia, very few foreigners lived there. Just clueless. They just didn't film everything they did and stick it on YouTube you ass clown.
Going to Cuba and flashing your wealth? Awful little man. The reason I had for watching his content is that I was hoping someone would kick the shit out of him. Sadly, that is yet to happen. I saw the money changing, the cigars and those girls on the beach. He is proper thick. One of those shorts had 8 million views.
As for 'Mr white man in Africa', I saw him getting bullied on a beach in Kenya of all places, whilst telling the locals that he was African as well. They were just laughing at him. Thailand is too commercial, I am too good for this! Hello, it is 2023, not 1983. You are a bit late, son. As for the cheap rat scouser he hangs out with. No comment.
I liked his earlier stuff, he was always a bit full of himself but I like the virtual tour-type videos he does and the places he goes.

I really started seeing him in a new light when he went to Thailand, he was a dick to the locals, acted like a petulant little kid, and was whinging about how he was forced to eat KFC and McD's every night because Thai food is crap and didn't fill him - anyone who has been to Lamai, where he was staying, could point him to a restaurant selling whatever he wanted to eat within a few minutes walk, every 2nd restaurant there is selling cuisine from different countries.

I watched two of his Cuba vids - it's really interesting seeing the place but he has definitely gone full dickhead.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic