Ad Blocker

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Ad Blocker

Post by Doc67 »

Do ad blockers stop the right hand side of my screen be occupied by adverts? The ones that rotate are really annoying, Cambodian companies such as banks or beer companies particularly like these.

Basically, I am losing about 35% of screen space on many sites, especially news sites.

Any suggestions?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Ad Blocker

Post by phuketrichard »

i use adblock and adaware ad block extensions in chrome and edge>
works great
dont see any ads
try it>>>

many sites i come across nowadays put up a pop up, asking yoiu to kindly remove the adblock ( they are losing revenue)
so u have choice, this one time or always
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:37 am i use adblock and adaware ad block extensions in chrome and edge>
works great
dont see any ads
try it>>>

many sites i come across nowadays put up a pop up, asking yoiu to kindly remove the adblock ( they are losing revenue)
Are they free?

Adaware is also an anti-virus, which I already have so don't really want another one that competes with it.
Last edited by Doc67 on Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:43 am
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:37 am i use adblock and adaware ad block extensions in chrome and edge>
works great
dont see any ads
try it>>>

Are they free?
yep
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Khmer_Risotto
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Khmer_Risotto »

Couple suggestions, both free.

Ublock Origin (browser extension): https://ublockorigin.com/

You can also go a step further and block ads at the DNS level using Adguard DNS: https://techviral.net/remove-ads-on-windows/
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Khmer_Risotto wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:52 pm Couple suggestions, both free.

Ublock Origin (browser extension): https://ublockorigin.com/

You can also go a step further and block ads at the DNS level using Adguard DNS: https://techviral.net/remove-ads-on-windows/
WOW!

I did it at the DNS level (I had to look up what DNS meant) and now the ads are all gone. Websites look weird now, like they did 20 years ago before Google owned our asses.

Thanks very much for the info.
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Newinkow »

Sorry to hijack the thread.

I don't have a PC here. I just have a Samsung S5 Nano cell and a Samsung Tablet. I'm not a techie. Are any of these "free" ad blockers suitable for the Samsung Tablet? To a lesser extent the S5 Nano.

Generally I'm not a big surfer on the net but there are a few sites that i visit daily. I mostly access the sites via my tablet. These sites are full of ads and take forever to load a page. I assume that by installing an ad blocker, it would increase the performance on my tablet. Am I correct on my assumption?

Thanks in advance.
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

Just use Brave as browser, also removes trackers and ads from videos played from YouTube.com

Their homepage compares popular browsers and features. Have a look and download: https://brave.com/
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Flexxman wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:03 pm Just use Brave as browser, also removes trackers and ads from videos played from YouTube.com

Their homepage compares popular browsers and features. Have a look and download: https://brave.com/
This is far and away the best browser to use for a multitude of reasons. It's not perfect - no browser is - but it is the best at:

Blocking more ads than any adblocker extension available on any other browser.
Giving you adequate protection of your data straight out of the box - you can mess with the settings to protect yourself even more, but it's already set up to give adequate protection for those that don't want to or don't know how to protect their data more.
Built on Chromium - meaning everything that works with Chrome (extensions etc) will also work with this.
And many other reasons I can't be bothered to list - the ability to download torrents from the browser instead of using third party software springs to mind. Oh, and if you use it on both your phone and a laptop, you can sync it anonymously (history, bookmarks etc) by just using a set of random words the browser gives you - no need to have some sort of account.

As I said, it's not perfect, and isn't free of controversies over time, but it has responded to privacy concerns of its users pretty well.

I've used it for several years now and from time to time I check to see if anything better has come out. So far, nothing has, in my opinion.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Newinkow wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:53 pm Sorry to hijack the thread.

I don't have a PC here. I just have a Samsung S5 Nano cell and a Samsung Tablet. I'm not a techie. Are any of these "free" ad blockers suitable for the Samsung Tablet? To a lesser extent the S5 Nano.

Generally I'm not a big surfer on the net but there are a few sites that i visit daily. I mostly access the sites via my tablet. These sites are full of ads and take forever to load a page. I assume that by installing an ad blocker, it would increase the performance on my tablet. Am I correct on my assumption?

Thanks in advance.
get apple and dont worry about anything , i got 2 macbooks 💻 , 10 ipads and 5 iphones ,
never had any of this chinese junk , o((( ok i know )
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic