Repotting orchids

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Repotting orchids

Post by rozzieoz »

I have a couple of pots of orchids that need attention, and repotting.

Can someone give me a method that includes materials which are available in Cambodia.

I’m sure this could be a really interesting and informative discussion, please don’t fuck it up. Image

Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Repotting orchids

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Take em out, put em in a pot of water for a few days, repot with some of those little fertiliser ball things. That's how I do it and they manage to survive and thrive.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:Take em out, put em in a pot of water for a few days, repot with some of those little fertiliser ball things. That's how I do it and they manage to survive and thrive.
What sort of pot do you use?
Andrew Nasia
Tourist

Post by Andrew Nasia »

rozzieoz wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:02 am please don’t fuck it up.
ma'am, yes, ma'am! :salut:
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Note to self- don’t take the headline too seriously at first glance on a bumpy road, in a minivan with buggered suspension, on a small phone.

I was wandering why they needed reporting. ! What serious infraction might a fancy flower be guilty of, that warrants a mod’s attention.
As to what pot I use. Legally, I must affirm- none.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Mostly use selfdraining material like coconut husk fiber , pumis or small pieces of broken bricks in clay pots. I never used fertiliser as it will force the growth of the plant at the expense of having flowers.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Tootsfriend wrote:Mostly use selfdraining material like coconut husk fiber , pumis or small pieces of broken bricks in clay pots. I never used fertiliser as it will force the growth of the plant at the expense of having flowers.
Brilliant thank you!
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Andrew Nasia wrote:
rozzieoz wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:02 am please don’t fuck it up.
ma'am, yes, ma'am! :salut:
Shhhhh
kagi
Expatriate
Switzerland

Post by kagi »

rozzieoz wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:12 am
PSD-Kiwi wrote:Take em out, put em in a pot of water for a few days, repot with some of those little fertiliser ball things. That's how I do it and they manage to survive and thrive.
What sort of pot do you use?
I accidentally hit the report button.

Don't repot if flowering. Didn't you move recently. Give it a few days to adjust.

You need a slightly bigger pot. Best to boil the pot. Orchids are sensitive to disease.
Trim off the dead bits, carefully.

Soak the pot and the replacement coconut husks in clean water before putting in orchid

For the first few days give it a light spray of water in the morning,
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Tootsfriend wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:42 pm Mostly use selfdraining material like coconut husk fiber , pumis or small pieces of broken bricks in clay pots. I never used fertiliser as it will force the growth of the plant at the expense of having flowers.
This (regarding pots). Never had an issue with my orchids flowering when using fertiliser though, I only use it when I repot though, just to help it settle into its new home, seems to work for me, I'm no Dr. Greenthumb that's for sure.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic