Look out, here they come!

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Look out, here they come!

Post by John Bingham »

So it has recovered? That's great. To say it wasn't affected is what I said was delusional.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:04 am So it has recovered? That's great. To say it wasn't affected is what I said was delusional.
Pretty naïve bro - you may not realise that the globe was affected, and I guess that's a symptom of a bubble, but most places on the planet are now recovering. My offer stands - take a day for a guided tour down here and be surprised. Petrol on me.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

kgbagent wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:19 am
John Bingham wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:04 am So it has recovered? That's great. To say it wasn't affected is what I said was delusional.
Pretty naïve bro - you may not realise that the globe was affected, and I guess that's a symptom of a bubble, but most places on the planet are now recovering. My offer stands - take a day for a guided tour down here and be surprised. Petrol on me.
This makes me laugh because it's so typical of the Kampot foreigners. For more than a decade they have tried to deny that anything has ever gone wrong there. The local social media groups are infamous for censoring any bad news about the place. Rapes, robberies, murders are all covered up in the interests of the "good vibes". So my personal experience of being in the town and seeing all the empty and abandoned businesses at the height of COVID was just imagined? Get real, nobody is buying that.
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Post by hburns »

It's a bit strange that most countries lifted their restrictions as things were improving. China seems to have taken the opposite approach and as things are apparently worse there than they ever have been they are letting them out to visit the rest of the world. At the beginning of all this China prevented anyone from Wuhan travelling to other parts of China but thought it OK that they travel to the rest of the world. I just hope this isn’t the CCP saying " we will not be the only ones to suffer from this".
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:40 am
This makes me laugh because it's so typical of the Kampot foreigners. For more than a decade they have tried to deny that anything has ever gone wrong there. The local social media groups are infamous for censoring any bad news about the place. Rapes, robberies, murders are all covered up in the interests of the "good vibes". So my personal experience of being in the town and seeing all the empty and abandoned businesses at the height of COVID was just imagined? Get real, nobody is buying that.
Here you go again .... your perceptions from your cave in PP is based on your fellow travelers on CEO and your thinking that reality is from a single FB group? So your "personal experience of being in the town and seeing all the empty and abandoned businesses at the height of COVID was just imagined?" Seems your blinkered eye patches didn't see all the closed business in PP and especially riverside as you obviously base your comments on the main tourist area of Kampot. You obviously failed to notice a similar trend in Europe, Asia, America or virtually any country on Earth? SR was a ghost town - forget to criticize that? Get real Kampot was not in isolation and the only person buying that is you. Come on wise man - take me up on my offer - I will even shout you tickets on Giant Ibis ( you know that PP bus company that delivered tourists all around Cambodia and neighboring countries that shut down over covid ) that now has 4 buses a day coming to Kampot. Put up or stop whining - I left PP, where I lived for some years, because of wanker elitists who think living in a capital city is the bee's knees.
barang_TK
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by barang_TK »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:15 am No worries for the Kingdom of Wonder.

While the world was closing the doors on Wuhan, daily direct flights kept coming straight to Cambodia.

Of course the Khmer have something that the PRC doesn’t have. Western COVID vaccines.
I'm curious to know what percentage of people here got vaccinated with western vaccines. 5, 10% ?
I've got two shots of Sinovac in late 2021, one of the only two vaccines available in my area (the other one being Sinopharm). Believe it or not NKOTB, we've not been heavily impacted by Covid around my village, even without western vaccines.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

kgbagent wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:28 am
John Bingham wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:40 am
Here you go again .... your perceptions from your cave in PP is based on your fellow travelers on CEO and your thinking that reality is from a single FB group? So your "personal experience of being in the town and seeing all the empty and abandoned businesses at the height of COVID was just imagined?" Seems your blinkered eye patches didn't see all the closed business in PP and especially riverside as you obviously base your comments on the main tourist area of Kampot. You obviously failed to notice a similar trend in Europe, Asia, America or virtually any country on Earth? SR was a ghost town - forget to criticize that? Get real Kampot was not in isolation and the only person buying that is you. Come on wise man - take me up on my offer - I will even shout you tickets on Giant Ibis ( you know that PP bus company that delivered tourists all around Cambodia and neighboring countries that shut down over covid ) that now has 4 buses a day coming to Kampot. Put up or stop whining - I left PP, where I lived for some years, because of wanker elitists who think living in a capital city is the bee's knees.
Where did I say it was only Kampot that was affected? I was replying to comments that said it wasn't affected. Hating people from the capital seems to be a popular pastime in Kampot, I guess that's what happens when there's nothing else to do.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

hburns wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:26 am It's a bit strange that most countries lifted their restrictions as things were improving. China seems to have taken the opposite approach and as things are apparently worse there than they ever have been they are letting them out to visit the rest of the world. At the beginning of all this China prevented anyone from Wuhan travelling to other parts of China but thought it OK that they travel to the rest of the world. I just hope this isn’t the CCP saying " we will not be the only ones to suffer from this".
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

hburns wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:26 am It's a bit strange that most countries lifted their restrictions as things were improving. China seems to have taken the opposite approach and as things are apparently worse there than they ever have been they are letting them out to visit the rest of the world. At the beginning of all this China prevented anyone from Wuhan travelling to other parts of China but thought it OK that they travel to the rest of the world. I just hope this isn’t the CCP saying " we will not be the only ones to suffer from this".
And new doses of Chinese vaccine arrived a couple of weeks ago :stir:
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

hdgh29 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:20 am
I don't see anything sinister in it, for the last 2-3 years COVID has been going through most countries, spreading to everyone likely to get it, mutating again and again and now most countries attitude is let it do its thing, nobody is wearing masks, anyone not vaccinated yet probably isn't going to... If nobody was worried about the COVID in their community before why would they be worried now that there are a few more cases coming into the country? And the people criticizing China for opening up now seem to be the same people criticizing them when they hadn't opened up.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic