I'll Never Eat Street Food In China Again !

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in sihanoukville, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
wackyjacky
Expatriate
Posts: 1640
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:40 pm
Reputation: 1

I'll Never Eat Street Food In China Again !

Post by wackyjacky » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:15 pm

I just read about 'gutter oil'. It's recycled from grease traps and garbage bins - yum. It's sold on the black market to street vendors cheap and has been found in a lot of processed foods in HK, Taiwan, China, and to a lesser extent SEA. Is it a problem here ? LINK: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wor ... his-video/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
User avatar
Kuroneko
Expatriate
Posts: 3126
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 11:18 am
Reputation: 436

Re: I'll Never Eat Street Food In China Again !

Post by Kuroneko » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:56 pm

wackyjacky wrote:I just read about 'gutter oil'. It's recycled from grease traps and garbage bins - yum. It's sold on the black market to street vendors cheap and has been found in a lot of processed foods in HK, Taiwan, China, and to a lesser extent SEA. Is it a problem here ? LINK: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wor ... his-video/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good find, pretty scary. Just found this while googling gutter oil

More big chains have been drawn into the scandal over the use of old or tainted cooking oil in Hong Kong, as it emerged on Monday that cakes made with “gutter oil” had been sold by 7-Eleven, Starbucks and Café Express among others. :shock:

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/arti ... l?page=all
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate
Posts: 1263
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:12 pm
Reputation: 8

Re: I'll Never Eat Street Food In China Again !

Post by TheGrinchSR » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:36 pm

Good lord, that's been common knowledge in China for at least a decade now... it's why I spent three years living on imported food that I cooked myself when I lived there.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
User avatar
Kuroneko
Expatriate
Posts: 3126
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 11:18 am
Reputation: 436

Re: I'll Never Eat Street Food In China Again !

Post by Kuroneko » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:42 pm

TheGrinchSR wrote:Good lord, that's been common knowledge in China for at least a decade now... it's why I spent three years living on imported food that I cooked myself when I lived there.
Evidently for centuries:

Kunming, the capital city of China’s Yunnan province, is having problems dealing with recycled cooking oil – often derisively referred to as “gutter oil”. City municipal officials told the Chinese media that the problems with “gutter oil” have existed for centuries.

One official, Xi Qingyang, said they dated back to the time of China’s Qing Dynasty (1644 to 1912). ’’The problem of ‘gutter oil’ has been around since the Qing Dynasty, and all of a sudden we have been ordered to regulate it,’’ Xi said. “This can not be done,” he told Yunnan Information Daily. http://www.scmp.com/article/1270196/kun ... omes-stall

I knew about recycling old cooking, but thought this was obtained from restaurant "discards" I never knew they recovered it from the sewer! :bad:
User avatar
juansweetpotato
Expatriate
Posts: 2637
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:45 pm
Reputation: 75

Re: I'll Never Eat Street Food In China Again !

Post by juansweetpotato » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:13 pm

I wonder if any of it makes its way to Cambodia. Bon appetite Scooby and gang, karpet bagger karma.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Posts: 901
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 1:42 pm
Reputation: 9
Netherlands

Re: I'll Never Eat Street Food In China Again !

Post by Jaap N. » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:19 pm

juansweetpotato wrote:I wonder if any of it makes its way to Cambodia. Bon appetite Scooby and gang, karpet bagger karma.
Seriously, dude, wtf does this have to do with K440? :facepalm:
User avatar
juansweetpotato
Expatriate
Posts: 2637
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:45 pm
Reputation: 75

Re: I'll Never Eat Street Food In China Again !

Post by juansweetpotato » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:59 pm

Jaap N. wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:I wonder if any of it makes its way to Cambodia. Bon appetite Scooby and gang, karpet bagger karma.
Seriously, dude, wtf does this have to do with K440? :facepalm:
Jaap you read K440. They are always going on about fine dining experiences in PP restaurants while totally spreading false info about prices of everyday food stuffs / flats for rent etc. Used to really piss me off. Seeing as I can't dig them in the ribs over there anymore and I know they lurk here, I thought I'd wind them up with it again. Just a one off even if they try to wind me up over here in a similar fashion more often.

Need to escape Asia, the quality of the food in the last 5 or so years requires it. Spent the majority of my life eating healthy food, last 5 years ... Also I guess you have forgotten K440 /CEO history and some of the other posters comments on here. I think I have explained myself enough don't you? If you want to have a go at me, please do it over there. They seem to still be enjoying it. :thumb:
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Posts: 901
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 1:42 pm
Reputation: 9
Netherlands

Re: I'll Never Eat Street Food In China Again !

Post by Jaap N. » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:20 pm

juansweetpotato wrote:
Jaap N. wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:I wonder if any of it makes its way to Cambodia. Bon appetite Scooby and gang, karpet bagger karma.
Seriously, dude, wtf does this have to do with K440? :facepalm:
Jaap you read K440. They are always going on about fine dining experiences in PP restaurants while totally spreading false rumors about prices of everyday food stuffs. Used to really piss me off. Seeing as I can't dig them in the ribs over there anymore and I know they lurk here, I thought I'd wind them up with it again. Just a one off even if they try to wind me up over here in a similar fashion more often.

Need to escape Asia, the quality of the food in the last 5 or so years requires it. Spent the majority of my life eating healthy food, last 5 years ... Also I guess you have forgotten K440 /CEO history and some of the other posters comments on here. I think I have explained myself enough don't you? If you want to have a go at me, please do it over there. They seem to still be enjoying it. :thumb:
I'm not having a go at you but if I did I would certainly not do it there, I know you can't post over there, so what would be the use of that?

This thread is about cooking oil that's been used many times and then you come up with a link to K440 that nobody will understand. Well, that is, I didn't. You 'explained' it now, but tbh it sounds a bit frustrated... 'always going on about fine dining experiences in PP restaurants while totally spreading false rumors about prices of everyday food stuffs' Seriously?
You need to learn to let go, wind them up? We're not in Highschool anymore. But, whatever floats your boat!
User avatar
juansweetpotato
Expatriate
Posts: 2637
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:45 pm
Reputation: 75

Re: I'll Never Eat Street Food In China Again !

Post by juansweetpotato » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:56 pm

I see you miss my point entirely. Glad you focus on me, well there's just no pleasing you. lol
They use oil here too you know. Where do they source most of their supplies from now?
BTW spreading misinformation about prices on a Cambodian internet forum is a major crime afaic. It's bad enough having the Khmers charge barang higher prices without having barang carpetbaggers backing them up and trying to do even worse.
I would prefer for you to attack me over there. :beer3:
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Posts: 901
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 1:42 pm
Reputation: 9
Netherlands

Re: I'll Never Eat Street Food In China Again !

Post by Jaap N. » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:07 pm

juansweetpotato wrote:I see you miss my point entirely. Glad you focus on me, well there's just no pleasing you. lol
They use oil here too you know. Where do they source most of their supplies from now?
BTW spreading misinformation about prices on a Cambodian internet forum is a major crime afaic. It's bad enough having the Khmers charge barang higher prices without having barang carpetbaggers backing them up and trying to do even worse.
I would prefer for you to attack me over there. :beer3:
Now you are just being silly, major crime? :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 44 guests