I'll Never Eat Street Food In China Again !

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Re: I'll Never Eat Street Food In China Again !

Post by juansweetpotato »

Yep, that's what it is. If your a teacher etc without savings the last thing you need is a load of carpetbaggers trying to pull the wool over your eyes. Still, I can see you will never agree, so maybe best just lets drop it.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

^^^^^ This thread was going all full metal 440, until you're post. Don't hear "let's drop it" much over there. Well, do you think they're using that dreck here or not. My guess is absolutely if it's available.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

wackyjacky wrote:^^^^^ This thread was going all full metal 440, until you're post. Don't hear "let's drop it" much over there. Well, do you think they're using that dreck here or not. My guess is absolutely if it's available.

Seems to be a Hong Kong, Taiwan, China problem mainly. A lot of Khmer cooking uses relatively little oil, and I would suspect its more likely to be found in downmarket Chinese establishments. Evidently products made from the gunk has been sold to 12 countries.

Products made from the tainted oil produced by a company in Taiwan have been sold to 12 countries and territories, including Vietnam, Taiwanese health authorities said last week.

Fourteen food items made from the dirty recycled waste oil, known as ‘gutter oil’ in China and Taiwan, have been exported to the United States, France, Australia, New Zealand, Brazil, Chile, Argentina, South Africa, Vietnam, Singapore, Hong Kong and mainland China, The Japan Times quoted Taiwan’s Food and Drug Administration Deputy Director-General, Chiang Yu-mei, as saying on Friday. http://tuoitrenews.vn/business/22440/ta ... uthorities

Meanwhile

A team of Chinese experts have invented a gutter oil detector, meant to be used by authorities in order to prevent the use of the toxic oil in the food industry. http://morninggossip.com/2014/08/chines ... -detector/
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

Post by Advocatus Diaboli »

Kuroneko wrote:
Products made from the tainted oil produced by a company in Taiwan have been sold to 12 countries and territories, including Vietnam, Taiwanese health authorities said last week.
If it is in Vietnam then it could be in Cambodia too. Is "Healthy Chef" made from gutter oil ? Good appetite.
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by logos »

Good thread, with a fine example of the toxic effects of gutter oil on plain sweet potatoes.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Might not be gutter oil in Cambodia but do not assume that food hygiene or safety standards are any better; they are probably not. Papers in Vietnam are full of tainted food and guess where a lot of the imported food comes from???

Personally, I have decided 20 years ago (when I first came to SE Asia) to not think about the shit that could be in my daily meal and hey, I am still alive.
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

Post by Advocatus Diaboli »

hanno wrote: I am still alive.
Yeah, me too. But when I went back to the western world doctors found out that I have an ongoing liver cirrhosis (no, I'm not drinking) and that my blood was flooded with all possible toxins. There is a reason why the average Cambodian kicks the bucket at age 50.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic