I am back!!!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: I am back!!!

Post by Cooldude »

armchairlawyer wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:09 pm Just FYI, hostess bars in PP encompass a big range from rip-off joints with expolitative owners and voracious staff that pad bills etc. Usually identifiable by a large group of pretty young things outisde, and painfully loud aggressive music inside and many Asian customers, through much more professional places with trustworhy owners and staff, and finally very quiet (usually) small, often family places with very few customers where you can play your own music on their PC all night long at whatever volume you prefer.
Family places?
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

New since you left for VN and an easy walk from anywhere near the Royal Palace.

Those with a long association with Phnom Penh may well recall the two New Zealand brothers who discovered and developed Bassac Lane and then the Public House bar and restaurant and the Cito Cocktail Bar in the small laneway they named Street 240 1/2. Well, they left Phnom Penh in a bit of a hurry some years ago now and leaving their businesses behind.

Fast forward a number of years and on come to the scene Patrick, an American fit and active middle aged "Rugby Tragic" and David from England; both very long-time residents in Cambodia, who have transformed the former decaying Street 240 1/2, renamed it Palace Lane, and opened it up so that it now connects with Street 244 which is now the main entrance to their development aptly named Craft. As with any good and popular development it has attracted others and there is now quite a decent cluster of eating and watering holes on either side of the Palace Lane entry to Craft. There's some good street art along Palace Lane too.

Craft gets its name from Craft beers of which a goodly selection are available in draft or bottles at any time and include, but not necessarily all at the same time, Riel Beer + Project Brews + Cerevisia + Bong + Fuzzy Logic + Lion Brewery + Ten Dogs Craft Beer and probably a few more that I have yet to sample.

But the real draw for Craft is live music on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday nights from about 7 pm till late. Wednesday and Friday nights are expat and visiting/touring foreign instrumentalists and vocalists and Saturday night is mainly for Khmer musical and vocal talent. The musical evenings are very popular. Craft has a good selection of light foods but in my opinion, they make the best thin crust four-cheeses pizza I have ever eaten. Goes just great with a well-chilled draft craft beer or a glass of wine while listening to the music or chatting with those near you; many of whom formerly patronized the FCC.

Best of all it is so easy to get to on foot by just walking along Street 19 behind the Royal Palace wall and crossing the Street 240 intersection and next on your left. Can't miss it. A real alternative to Riverside.

OML
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Ot Mean Loi wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:10 am New since you left for VN and an easy walk from anywhere near the Royal Palace.

Those with a long association with Phnom Penh may well recall the two New Zealand brothers who discovered and developed Bassac Lane and then the Public House bar and restaurant and the Cito Cocktail Bar in the small laneway they named Street 240 1/2. Well, they left Phnom Penh in a bit of a hurry some years ago now and leaving their businesses behind.

Fast forward a number of years and on come to the scene Patrick, an American fit and active middle aged "Rugby Tragic" and David from England; both very long-time residents in Cambodia, who have transformed the former decaying Street 240 1/2, renamed it Palace Lane, and opened it up so that it now connects with Street 244 which is now the main entrance to their development aptly named Craft. As with any good and popular development it has attracted others and there is now quite a decent cluster of eating and watering holes on either side of the Palace Lane entry to Craft. There's some good street art along Palace Lane too.

Craft gets its name from Craft beers of which a goodly selection are available in draft or bottles at any time and include, but not necessarily all at the same time, Riel Beer + Project Brews + Cerevisia + Bong + Fuzzy Logic + Lion Brewery + Ten Dogs Craft Beer and probably a few more that I have yet to sample.

But the real draw for Craft is live music on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday nights from about 7 pm till late. Wednesday and Friday nights are expat and visiting/touring foreign instrumentalists and vocalists and Saturday night is mainly for Khmer musical and vocal talent. The musical evenings are very popular. Craft has a good selection of light foods but in my opinion, they make the best thin crust four-cheeses pizza I have ever eaten. Goes just great with a well-chilled draft craft beer or a glass of wine while listening to the music or chatting with those near you; many of whom formerly patronized the FCC.

Best of all it is so easy to get to on foot by just walking along Street 19 behind the Royal Palace wall and crossing the Street 240 intersection and next on your left. Can't miss it. A real alternative to Riverside.

OML
Thanks a lot OML, sounds very much like my sort of thing.
verdebandit
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by verdebandit »

Next to craft's places in palace lane I also highly recommend box office. 20 taps from around Cambodia and Vietnam as well as great food. Their fish and chips especially. They host comedy shows and music in their side room as well.

Some people like the vine who also hosts music and is next to palace lane the opposite direction from box office but I never felt especially welcome there.

The palace lane guys also own the piri piri chicken place and Cambodian bagels on the end of the lane.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Let’s do dinner at Wild Creative Cocktail Bar and Eatery, my absolute favourite!
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Cooldude wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:40 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:09 pm Just FYI, hostess bars in PP encompass a big range from rip-off joints with expolitative owners and voracious staff that pad bills etc. Usually identifiable by a large group of pretty young things outisde, and painfully loud aggressive music inside and many Asian customers, through much more professional places with trustworhy owners and staff, and finally very quiet (usually) small, often family places with very few customers where you can play your own music on their PC all night long at whatever volume you prefer.
Family places?
Ha! Yes I understand that might sound odd.
There is a small number of bars where the staff all bear a mutual resemblance. That is because they are all related, including the boss. Male relatives will drift in and out to carry stock etc but will usually make themselves as invisible as possible. If you walk in as a stranger, you may find a huge eating and drinking session going on involving all of the staff and some Khmer friends and family visitors.They won't give you a big welcome as you walk in as they expect you to turn around and leave. f you linger, a couple of them will peel off to sit with you. If you become a regular then they will likely make you very welcome. If there is no party going on, it will be very quiet and you can choose your own music and sit with your chosen hostess. Staff likely all sleep on site and the boss provides food so they can survive on a small income.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

rozzieoz wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:38 am Let’s do dinner at Wild Creative Cocktail Bar and Eatery, my absolute favourite!
Do I need a man bun and a tribal tattoo ? :stir:
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

hanno wrote:
rozzieoz wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:38 am Let’s do dinner at Wild Creative Cocktail Bar and Eatery, my absolute favourite!
No it’s not like that at all, you’re quite safe. ;)

I’m doing some fun stuff tomorrow afternoon / evening if you’re looking for something to do.

I’ll be having lunch at Craft - (surf and turf bbq), then to Tacos Kokopelli at 5 for open min and then Oscar’s at 10ish.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

armchairlawyer wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:28 pm
cabron wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:26 pm
I am glad that you mentioned Yang Pow on St 110 corner/ Riverside, I like that place a lot, not many barags there and no ears blasting music.
I haven't been in yet. I'm a bit intimidated tbh.
Often looked through the window and have yet to see one barang.
Sounds like you felt relaxed there. Are you expected to eat? Is it expensive?
[/quote] I did I like that speakeasy lounge. It was love at the first sight for me, there is no reason for you to be intimidated, the staff is affable and pleasant. I visited this lounge at five occassions, I never see too many western foreigners when I was there. The prices are moderates, the food is nothing to write home about ( I am not a fan of Asian foods) The music is good, they have new stage performers every week. I should pay them a visit.

cheers

ps; there is also that new bistro i front of the Post Office neat st,98, the name is Manolis very nice, they open last summer.
Boredom is like a shroud
STEVITO
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by STEVITO »

hanno wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:40 pm
Fairly sure you know Wild from Siem Reap. Spring rolls + more spring rolls. But all very good.

Also, second/third the Palace Lane area. An easy evening stroll for you. They even have a FB page dedicated to their collective: https://www.facebook.com/Palacelanephnompenh
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic