Walkthrough: How to rebuild a Series 84' Honda motor

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Walkthrough: How to rebuild a Series 84' Honda motor

Post by AE86 »

Greetings all,

I apologize for not being able to get to a Cambodian motoring guide recently. Rather than wait though, I'll do a little at a time with what I can until I get time to get to it.

In the meantime, this is going to be a straight up walkthrough of disassembly and rebuild of a 1984 series Honda motor. I will also post the rebuild thread in an upcoming weblog website...thing, as well as other rebuilds, so that they can be easier to reference.

This motor is the basic architecture of the:

1984-2007 Honda C50/Super Cub 50 - Honda C70/Super Cub 70 (includes 12v Honda Passports) - Honda C90/Super Cub 90.
Lifan 50-110cc primary clutch motors, both 3 and 4 speed
Honda XR50/70
Various Chinese pitbike models

-The motor being used for the rebuild is from a Japanese market Honda Super Cub 50 with electric start.

-Minor differences occur between the C50/C70/C90 models, and those differences will be outlined in the walkthrough.

-Many of the steps and techniques shown and outlined here are applicable to other motorcycles as well.

I'll be beginning the disassembly this morning and hope to update this thread at least once or twice a week.

Any questions along the way, feel free to ask, even if not related to the motor specifically.

**Any information posted here is free to use as a reference.**

-AE86/Akira S.
-insert signature here
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Re: Walkthrough: How to rebuild a Series 84' Honda motor

Post by AE86 »

Before we begin:

***A lot of what I say might seem like to common sense to you, but I feel the need to recap anyway***

1: You will need basic mechanical know how. If you need to google what a screwdriver or a socket wrench is, then this kind of a project is probably not for you. However, you do not need to be a mechanic to be able to rebuild a motor successfully. The reason being is because the entire concept of the Honda 50 (the basic engine design as it's known), is based on simplicity and being able to be repaired by a relatively inexperienced mechanic. This is likely one of the reasons they have been so successful is developing countries.

So with that having been said, if you have done a little wrenching here and there on something like a car, a previous motorcycle, or perhaps some electronic devices, then chances are that you have enough mechanical experience to give it a try.

2: If you want to rebuild the entire engine (split the cases), a few specialty tools are highly recommended but not actually necessary. However, because they are relatively cheap, I see no actual point in not purchasing them as they greatly ease the rebuild process.

Here are ALL of the specialty tools you would possibly need (this includes Lifans and secondary clutched engines as well, so there are extra tools pictured).

Castle nut socket (17mm). That is the socket with 4 prongs on its edge.
Flywheel puller (that is the funny shaped "T" thing).
Feeler gauges (the flat silver pieces of metal).

3. Tools needed include a set of open ended spanners, a set of sockets 8mm to 24mm recommended since the entire bike makes use of sockets up to 24mm. For the actual motor though, up to 14 mm is typically the largest nut/bolt used.

Snap ring pliers

Rubber or brass mallet

Gasket scraper

4. Even amongst Honda themselves, there are various tiny differences between motors that might cause confusion if you're trying to match each and every part exactly to a photo or diagram. i.e. Some motors use allen head bolts for the gear selector switch and some use traditional "hex head" bolts. This is going to be the norm for most motors, so to avoid confusion and frustration, don't get hung up if one part isn't exactly the same as the one you see pictured. The main thing to consider is if a), it fits, and b) it doesn't interfere with normal operation. This means there is a lot of manual checking and clearancing of parts after you install them. Again, this is normal and all part of the engine rebuild process. Don't get scared though, it's a lot easier than it sounds.
-insert signature here
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

A good start, Akira. Have you ever taught mechanical shop?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

^^Nope, I've only taught English, haha.

I've trained two mechanics in the U.S. but never actually officially taught a class.
-insert signature here
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Nice selection of tools and home-made tools. I'm at the beginning of a 230cc Honda ta200 Phantom hop up. BBR Motorsports hot cam/heavy duty springs, 11-1 Wiseco piston, CRF230 flywheel/rod, new trans, Barnett Kevlar clutch, etc. Its good to have rainy season projects.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

StroppyChops wrote:A good start, Akira. Have you ever taught mechanical shop?
AE86 wrote:^^Nope, I've only taught English, haha.

I've trained two mechanics in the U.S. but never actually officially taught a class.
I reckon you'd be good at it.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Great thread project.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic