Tourism recovery rates in SE Asia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Tourism recovery rates in SE Asia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Gazzy wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:51 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:33 pm
cabron wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:58 pm
Alex wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:09 am
hanno wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:12 am Official figures aside, I can tell you from personal experience that tourism in Vietnam is fine. I worked like crazy for the last 10 months. Hat these figures do not factor in is the huge domestic market that Vietnam has.
Right, they don't seem to rely on foreigners that much, which leaves us with the shitty eVisa with no signs of improvement.

Perhaps the Vietnam government do not wish to see swarm of tourists like Thailand or Malaysia. Tourism generates major revenue for any country but they also create numerous civic, social problems, i.e. social behaviors, increase of crime & violence, traffic. Maybe they like it the way it is now.
Maybe. You mean swarms of tourists as in pre-Covid I assume. Even then I don't think that was true of Malaysia. Vietnam are doing well with FDI for factories wanting to relocate from China, so maybe they think that's enough. I doubt it though. I think they will launch a big campaign once Western tourists return to area in big numbers.
I wouldn't say that tourists are responsible for much crime in SE Asian countries. Per capita much less than the locals commit.
Sihanoukville anyone?
Those criminals are not tourists.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

hanno wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:12 am Official figures aside, I can tell you from personal experience that tourism in Vietnam is fine. I worked like crazy for the last 10 months. Hat these figures do not factor in is the huge domestic market that Vietnam has.
Right, they don't seem to rely on foreigners that much, which leaves us with the shitty eVisa with no signs of improvement.

Perhaps the Vietnam government do not wish to see swarm of tourists like Thailand or Malaysia. Tourism generates major revenue for any country but they also create numerous civic, social problems, i.e. social behaviors, increase of crime & violence, traffic. Maybe they like it the way it is now.
Having worked in Vietnam for almost 20 years, I can assure you that that is not the case.

The first reason is pure, simple, unadulterated incompetence. The powers that be simply missed the boat.

The second reason is that there is quite a scandal going on in Vietnam right now, with many top figures involved in scamming the government and the people. From ripping of Vietnamese repatriating during Covid to overcharging for vaccines. It has caused a lot of noise in Vietnam and heads have started to roll. The borders will be thrown open and visas issued once this particular mess has been dealt with or covered up.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Maybe. You mean swarms of tourists as in pre-Covid I assume. Even then I don't think that was true of Malaysia. Vietnam are doing well with FDI for factories wanting to relocate from China, so maybe they think that's enough. I doubt it though. I think they will launch a big campaign once Western tourists return to area in big numbers.
I wouldn't say that tourists are responsible for much crime in SE Asian countries. Per capita much less than the locals commit.
HSBC just raised the GDP forecast for Vietnam from a very healthy 7.6% to 8.1% for this fiscal year. Asian Development Bank forecasts 7.5%, same as World Bank.

As you may remember, Vietnam set a tourist record of more than 18 million in 2019. But anything like that again will require hordes of Chinese. However, Reuters reported yesterday COVID infections and deaths are vastly under-reported. In fact, a British analytics firm, Airfinity, used models to forecast more than 1 million infections a day and more than 5,000 daily deaths, with numbers to go even higher in January, maybe to 3.7 million infections.

Now, would Thailand and Vietnam open the gates for the Chinese with those astronomical numbers? I hope not.

Headline: China COVID deaths probably running above 5,000 per day - UK research firm Airfinity
BEIJING, Dec 22 (Reuters) - More than 5,000 people are probably dying each day from COVID-19 in China, health data firm Airfinity estimated, offering a dramatic contrast to official data from Beijing on the country's current outbreak.

The UK-based firm said it had used modelling based on regional Chinese data to produce figures that also put current daily infections in the country at above a million.

Its estimates were "in stark contrast to the official data which is reporting 1,800 cases and only seven official deaths over the past week," it said in a statement.

China's National Health Commission (NHC) did not immediately respond to a request from Reuters for comment. On Thursday it reported no new COVID-19 deaths and 2,966 new local symptomatic cases for Dec. 21.

A senior World Health Organization official said on Wednesday that China might be struggling to keep a tally of COVID infections as it experiences a big spike in cases.

An abrupt U-turn by China on its previous zero-COVID policy following protests has raised global concerns of widespread infections among a vulnerable, undervaccinated population. It has stopped mass testing and no longer reports asymptomatic cases.

Airfinity said its mortality risk analysis suggested between 1.3 to 2.1 million people could die in China's current COVID outbreak. Analyses by other modelling groups have also predicted as many as 2.1 million deaths.

Airfinity estimates the wave could have two peaks at 3.7 million a day in mid-January in regions where cases are currently rising and 4.2 million a day in March in other provinces.

Cases were currently rising fastest in Beijing and the southern province of Guangdong, said the firm.
https://www.reuters.com/world/china/chi ... 022-12-22/
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

armchairlawyer wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:10 pm
Gazzy wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:51 pm

Sihanoukville anyone?
Those criminals are not tourists.
[/quote
That's the thing, nobody knows wtf they're doing here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Thailand doing very well
expects 11.5 million ( not as good as the 39 mi in 2019)
but better than the expected 10
As arrivals from Europe and the United States are accelerating during the last days of the year, Thailand can expect 11.5mn foreigners visiting the country in 2022, TAT Governor Yuthasak Supasorn said.

Total tourism revenue – including both international and domestic markets – is expected to reach B1.5 trillion, which is around 50% of the pre-COVID level, reports Bloomberg.

It was only three months ago, when Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn, the Minister of Tourism and Sports, said Thailand could expect 12mn visitors in 2022, but only if Chinese tourists resumed travel before the end of the year. China has not reopened yet, but the actual arrivals are now closer to 12mn (which Mr Phiphat expected with Chinese travelers) rather than to 10mn (which he expected without).
https://www.thephuketnews.com/tourist-a ... .php?adm=1

going by the traffic an number of mini vans the past 2 weeks its almost like a normal high season here
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:19 am going by the traffic an number of mini vans the past 2 weeks its almost like a normal high season here
Yeah, Central Bangkok feels crowded A.F. right now, too, I can't wait to get to Phnom Penh!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Alex wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:23 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:19 am going by the traffic an number of mini vans the past 2 weeks its almost like a normal high season here
Yeah, Central Bangkok feels crowded A.F. right now, too, I can't wait to get to Phnom Penh!
Suvarnabhumi is getting back to its' old self. Even had to wait for a taxi sleeve at the taxi vending machines because all taxis present had been booked.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:28 pm
Alex wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:23 pm
Suvarnabhumi is getting back to its' old self. Even had to wait for a taxi sleeve at the taxi vending machines because all taxis present had been booked.
I had a taste of that at Don Mueang last month, when I arrived on a domestic flight. 140 ahead of me in the taxi queue! Luckily a colleague was nearby and could pick me up.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic