Afghan women stopped from entering universities after Taliban ban

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Afghan women stopped from entering universities after Taliban ban

Post by orichá »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:42 am The Chinese could.
They’ve enough people to provide for their operations. They can sacrifice them, and still have plenty. Theyre ruthless. Date I say it, possibly more efficient and disciplined than the Russians, and certainly less people friendly than any atlantic coalition.
Yes, unfortunately you are right. They can pour in money and take Afghan resources while saying nothing about women's rights. In China, women have recently seen increased marginalization as the domestic economy pinches everyone, giving men the edge...

An anecdote: I remember once having lunch with a top sales lady for industrial computer hardware in the company lunch room one day back in 2007, where I toiled as a technical writer... The big boss had called this sales lady into the office and told her that he was halving her salary, out of the blue. This came, either despite, or because of, the multi-million dollar boost in sales she'd made in the U.S. that year. Apparently she'd earned tens of thousands of dollars in commissions, etc... The president's rationale to cut her salary was not her extra earnings from the commission, but because she was a woman; and he flat out asked her when she planned to settle down and get married, and have kids - implying that she did not need to work at all. She was a very old 30 years, you know! This chauvinistic mentality prevails in China and Taiwan the same. That lady was so smart and a looker, too. I really regret not hitting on her, lol. She told me that she'd already bought three condos, etc, and was flipping them for even more. I coulda been set for life on easy street. ...Anyway, making ten times more than me, she quit the job shortly after the boss's salary cut and "get-married pep talk". That's China/Taiwan for ya... :wink:
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Afghan women stopped from entering universities after Taliban ban

Post by Doc67 »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:19 am the effects have started,
Aid agencies halt operations. ;-(
this is going to have a serious effect on the female population.

as to investment, i seriously doubt anyone is actively going to trust the Taliban with huge sums of $$

Major NGOs suspend Afghanistan efforts after Taliban bar female staff
Three big international aid agencies — including Save the Children — have said they were suspending their humanitarian programs in Afghanistan in response to the Taliban-run administration's order to stop female employees from working.

Key points:
The suspension comes at a time when more than half the population relies on humanitarian aid
Taliban spokesperson says all institutions wanting to operate in Afghanistan are obliged to comply with the rules
Qatar expressed "extreme concern" over the order, calling on the Afghan administration to reconsider

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-26/ ... /101808516
When Qatar is calling you out for your treatment of women, you know you've gone too far.

The BBC report suggested that the women working for the NGO's were the breadwinner in their household. This is possibly a reason for shame by the husband that his wife earns more than him from a foreign - non Islamic source - and this embarrassment may have become intolerable. The solution is simple, replace the women with men. Blame it on the women too, say they weren't complying with the dress code. Problem is the NGO's don't seem prepared to play ball.

The NGO's are right, they should pack up and leave. Let the morons with the beards deal with the catastrophe of their own making.

Female Afghan NGO workers acting as the main earners in their household told the BBC of their fear and helplessness.

If I cannot go to my job, who can support my family?" Another breadwinner called the news "shocking" and insisted she had complied with the Taliban's strict dress code.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-640 ... type=owned
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic