That Awkward Moment

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: That Awkward Moment

Post by Alex »

rozzieoz wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:47 am
sammycooke wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:29 am Polyamory (from Ancient Greek πολλοί (polloí) 'many', and Latin amor 'love') is the practice of, or desire for, romantic relationships with more than one partner at the same time, with the informed consent of all partners involved.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyamo ... =Polyamory
To me, it's the capability to love more than one person at a time.
In my opinion, it is very unrealistic to expect one person to be your absolute everything.

What if I don't like going to movies? Does that mean you can never go and see a movie??
NO! It means you can enjoy a movie with someone else and then come home and tell me all about it.

What if I don't like shopping? Does that mean you can never enjoy shopping with a partner again?
NO! It means you can enjoy the shopping experience with someone else and bring me back something cute.

If I love someone, I never want them to feel trapped. I want them to feel empowered and free.
I offer what I have to give and if that's not enough, they are welcome to go and find those "missing pieces" elsewhere. Or even if it is enough, don't ever close off your heart to love. Why would you?? There's enough love to go around for everyone.

I don't see jealousy as a positive emotion - it's destructive and completely unfun.
If I love someone and I see them having fun, even if it's not with me, it makes me feel warm inside to know that they are happy, even if I am not the one making them smile in that exact moment.

That's what polyamory means to me.
That's an interesting definition, because it's so wide. Let's say I'm in love with someone who doesn't enjoy going to the movies as much as I do. Personally, I'd never see that as a reason to find additional lovers, I'd just go to the movies with friends (!) who share that interest.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

To my knowledge the common consensus is that no one person is your everything - even in monogamous relationships. It’s usually toxic if someone thinks differently. That’s why people have friends to go to the movies, or shopping, or whatever it is your single sexual partner may not want to do. Why would we need to have sex or be in love with the person we do a pottery course with, go hiking with, or watch a movie with?

Many In monogamous relationships feel no entrapment. They make a mutual decision to at least try to be monogamous. It’s up to them what they try to achieve. Each to their own.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
grumpygit
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by grumpygit »

violet wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:37 pm To my knowledge the common consensus is that no one person is your everything - even in monogamous relationships. It’s usually toxic if someone thinks differently. That’s why people have friends to go to the movies, or shopping, or whatever it is your single sexual partner may not want to do. Why would we need to have sex or be in love with the person we do a pottery course with, go hiking with, or watch a movie with?

Many In monogamous relationships feel no entrapment. They make a mutual decision to at least try to be monogamous. It’s up to them what they try to achieve. Each to their own.
In your opinion is being tempted to fuck about while in a supposedly monogamous relationship but begrudgingly keeping your knickers on just as bad as actually cheating violet?
Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. The former is me, the latter a reflection of you.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

grumpygit wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:45 pm
violet wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:37 pm To my knowledge the common consensus is that no one person is your everything - even in monogamous relationships. It’s usually toxic if someone thinks differently. That’s why people have friends to go to the movies, or shopping, or whatever it is your single sexual partner may not want to do. Why would we need to have sex or be in love with the person we do a pottery course with, go hiking with, or watch a movie with?

In your opinion is being tempted to fuck about while in a supposedly monogamous relationship but begrudgingly keeping your knickers on just as bad as actually cheating violet?
Hmmm
In my opinion it isn’t ‘just as bad’. What it is is a flag that the person begrudgingly keeping their knickers on should have the strength of character either to speak to their partner about maybe exploring a different type of relationship or, if they know that’s a NO from the partner, move on - emotions like that leach out somewhere, or live in parallel to a needy character who has to have someone in order to feel ok as a human being.

Note that my opinions are subject to change as new experiences occur
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
grumpygit
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by grumpygit »

∆∆

Playing the ..it's a womans prerogative card at the end was a nice touch violet . :)
Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. The former is me, the latter a reflection of you.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Does wanting to satisfy a casual lustful feeling qualify as polyamorous if all three are in agreement? (And I don’t mean a threesome)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

grumpygit wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:27 pm
Khmu Nation wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:22 pm Every female expat I have met or worked with in 25 years of living in SE Asia has been totally nuts.
While the nuts ones may not be ideal gf material there is a lot to be said for the the fucked in the head great in bed school of thought.
NO NO NO!

If we have to choose just one lesson in our collective wisdom it should be this:

Don't put your dick in crazy

grumpygit
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by grumpygit »

You are reading that chart all wrong doc.. it clearly shows crazy is good fun..just not long term fun.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

grumpygit wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:10 pm You are reading that chart all wrong doc.. it clearly shows crazy is good fun..just not long term fun.
The chart was a bonus, it gets an airing now and then as a public safety information message.

I know that crazy chick sex can be fun, but it is fraught with danger, especially here where crazy can be on another scale all together.

Anyway, Merry Christmas Grumpy!! :D
Londonmail
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Londonmail »

Like a conversation for the rich and famous.......

Like you got all the choices.......

I'm sure Like many.... if an opportunity knocks.... your take it... you can work out if crazy or not in the morning.... and if there not crazy, you probably are! Haha
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic