World's Biggest (100 Meters) Buddha Statue Planned for Bokor Mountain

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: World's Biggest (100 Meters) Buddha Statue Planned for Bokor Mountain

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Alex wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:12 pm What a nonsensical waste of money.
The state is not paying - Mr Sok from Sokha Hotels is paying/organizing a whip-round.
Local and international Buddhists, national and international, can contribute and help build this statue by sending funds to ABA Bank No. 106 108 108 (KHR) and ABA 107 108 108 (USD) and Wing Bank via 9 108 108 108 (KHR) and 8 108 108 108 (USD) and contact 085 430 999, 097 430 9999.
Source: Khmer Times
And, incidentally, it appears that Mr Sok has already invested large sums of money in development plans on Bokor Mountain, and there were media reports earlier this year that he was looking to raise $1.5 billion from the sale of his iconic Sokha Hotel in Phnom Penh. See: post531154.html#p531154
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia News, (Kampot province): The ground-breaking ceremony of the 108-meter-tall Buddha statue will begin on January 4, 2023, on the ridge of Bokor Mountain, in Monivong "Bokor" National Park, Kampot Province.
The groundbreaking ceremony for Krong Pali will be presided over by Mr. Chea Sophara, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction at 9 am.

The giant Buddha statue project was initiated by Sokha Hotel, owned by Duke Sok Kong, with a budget of $ 30-40 million, to serve as a shrine for Cambodians and to develop cultural tourism on Bokor mountain.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

LOL, I saw that the Vietnamese have a woman "Buddha statue" recognised as the tallest Buddhist statue blah, blah, so now let's compete for who's got the biggest Buddha.
Because, of course, Buddhism is all about showing who has the biggest one. :BangHead:
Lady Buddha Statue of Black Virgin Mountain
With a total height of 72 metres, cast with more than 170 tons of bronze, the Buddha statute has been recognised as “Asia’s highest copper structure located on a mountain’s peak” and “The tallest bronze Buddha statue in Vietnam located on a mountain’s peak” by the World Guinness Records.
VNA Tuesday, December 27, 2022 07:55
https://en.vietnamplus.vn/lady-buddha-s ... 224400.vnp
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Bokor' s Giant Buddha Statue Gets the Go Ahead
Cambodia News, (Kampot): The Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction would like to inform the public that the Royal Government has in principle allowed Sokha Hotel to build a 108-meter-high Buddha statue on the ridge of Bokor Mountain in the Monivong National Park "Bokor" in accordance with the master plan and style agreed upon by the Inter-Ministerial Working Group with the support of the Board of Priests of the Kingdom of Cambodia.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

About 3,000 monks and Buddhists will celebrate the Great Solidarity Flower Festival on the top of Bokor Mountain to collect money for the construction of the 108 meter high statue.
Cambodia News, (Kampot): About 3,000 monks and Buddhists will parade in the Great Flower Festival Samaki climbing to the top of Bokor Mountain to collect donations to participate in the construction of a 108-meter-high Buddha statue being built on the ridge of Bokor Mountain. This great Solidarity Flower Festival will be held from September 23 to 24, 2023, with the Wat Paransey Serey Mongkul

In order to make a clear contribution to the construction of the 108-meter-tall Buddha statue, initiated by Duke Dr. Sok Kong, Buddhists will have the opportunity to obtain the merits in their own name, or in the name of their relatives, past and future. This statue of the Buddha will remain as a national cultural treasure for future generations to be the supreme shrine of All Buddhists.

More details for philanthropists wishing to participate in the shrine of the 108-meter-high Buddha statue on the ridge of Bokor can phone these numbers: 014 7777 108, 014 777 108, 015 777 108.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Good to see it will be Siddhartha, or Gautama Buddha, and not the laughing Buddha, as is popular in Thailand, Vietnam and China, because there is no way a fat person is wise.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

Maybe its supposed to be the highest one considering the height of the mountain and then the 100m on top of that then?

Dont know about the others but im sure (hope) that someone googled once during their planning up until the statement :)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:39 pm Good to see it will be Siddhartha, or Gautama Buddha, and not the laughing Buddha, as is popular in Thailand, Vietnam and China, because there is no way a fat person is wise.
What? :shock:
Are you being a fatist pig ? (Shame on you etc) :snorting:

:wave: Just like to add that of course that was a joke.
However, I do like the Khmer-Chinese fat smiling Buddha statues and I have one at home. More jolly IMO.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:33 am
Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:39 pm Good to see it will be Siddhartha, or Gautama Buddha, and not the laughing Buddha, as is popular in Thailand, Vietnam and China, because there is no way a fat person is wise.
What? :shock:
Are you being a fatist pig ? (Shame on you etc) :snorting:

:wave: Just like to add that of course that was a joke.
However, I do like the Khmer-Chinese fat smiling Buddha statues and I have one at home. More jolly IMO.
How dare you call me a fatist pig!

It's fattist pig.

I'm just pointing out, if you are all-knowing and enlightened, Shirley you know your heart is gonna seize through poor circulation - due to excessive, unlubricated, pumping wear, with the area it has to distribute to - or no use at all - due to an all-meals-in-bed diet, you've adopted.

You wouldn't treat your car that way.

Maybe he can't move. I know my knees would lock up, if I sat like that.

And, FYI, I do not condone fattism, and actually have a disgustingly obese, close friend, that I go running with, and help him by racing, so he can improve on his personal best.

I kick his ass.

Plus, ever-the-sportsman, I always meet him at the finish, after running a few errands and having dinner, to let him know how much I beat him by, collect the $20 prize money, and take the trophy back inside, where it lives in the front window facing out to the street, for his inspiration.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic