Looking For A Mountain Bike And Used Motorcycle

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Looking For A Mountain Bike And Used Motorcycle

Post by Newinkow »

Hi everyone. I am in the market for a boys mountain bike and a used motorcycle.

My boy has out grown his auntie's "girls" bike that she gave him. He will be attending middle school in the new year which is a little further then his current school. He wants a boys mountain bike. I have gone to Aeon and Decathlon to see what's available. They have mountain bike but are kind of expensive. I don't want to spend that kind of money for a mountain bike. I think in a year or two he will be wanting a motorcycle. We have a Honda Today 50cc that he rides but I don't want him to take that to school.

I also want to purchase another used motorcycle for the house. We only currently have the Today for a family of 4. The younger girl has started to learn to ride now. I'm in the market for a bigger bike. A 125cc automatic. No Scoopie or zoomed. More in line of a Click type. Not picky on the manufacturer. Want something with a good track record of reliability and dependability. An older bike is fine with me as long as it's reliable and dependable.

The motorcycle would mostly be used to get around town. On odd occasions it has to be able to be used for out of town trips.

I don't know the going prices for a mountain bike or a motorcycle that meets my needs? I'm on a fixed monthly pension from Canada and the current exchange rate is really taking a bite out of my disposable income. I currently have a budget of about $600ish for both.

Questions:

1) An expat I met pre covid-19 told me that the area around Orussey market is the place of used motorcycle and bicycles.

He said there is a street that has shops after shops selling bicycles. Also there is a area that has motorcycle repair shops selling used/rebuild motorcycle.

Does anyone have the actual location to this two places?

2) does anyone have any recommendations on where I can purchase a mountain bike or a used 125cc motorcycle?

3) is my budget of $600ish realistic for a decent reliable used 125cc and a mountain bike (new or used)? I pickup the used Today for $375 in 2018. Still running good. Besides regular oil change, only needed to replace carburetor.

If $600ish is not realistic, what would be a realistic budget? I assume the budget will depend on what I choose for a motorcycle

4) what model of 125cc would you recommend?

Thanks in advance
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Looking For A Mountain Bike And Used Motorcycle

Post by John Bingham »

Newinkow wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:41 am

He said there is a street that has shops after shops selling bicycles.
It's 107 street around the junction with 184.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

as far as mtn bike, the cheaper ones are heavy and poor components, Under $300 new would be a waste of $$> Buying used, check it out, ride it and pick it up>
it should be when he mounts it with both feet on the ground there should be around 1" between the top bar and his crotch>
forget the one with the rear shocks ( full suspension ones as well) , gimmick, as he gets older raise the seat post.

My bike cost $1,400 new on sale ( from $1,700) WAY back in 1997, still use it daily an its been all over including the mtns of Nepal>

I personally hate the auto's and prefer a honda wave ( 100 cc) or dream ( 125), around $500 would get ya a 10 year old one
Wave, 12 year old dream. They really hold their value

as far as ur kid riding a Motorcycle to school, until he is 16 tell him NO!!!!
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Newinkow »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:54 am
Newinkow wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:41 am

He said there is a street that has shops after shops selling bicycles.
It's 107 street around the junction with 184.
Thanks JB. Much appreciated!
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Newinkow »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:57 am as far as mtn bike, the cheaper ones are heavy and poor components, Under $300 new would be a waste of $$> Buying used, check it out, ride it and pick it up>
it should be when he mounts it with both feet on the ground there should be around 1" between the top bar and his crotch>
forget the one with the rear shocks ( full suspension ones as well) , gimmick, as he gets older raise the seat post.

My bike cost $1,400 new on sale ( from $1,700) WAY back in 1997, still use it daily an its been all over including the mtns of Nepal>

I personally hate the auto's and prefer a honda wave ( 100 cc) or dream ( 125), around $500 would get ya a 10 year old one
Wave, 12 year old dream. They really hold their value

as far as ur kid riding a Motorcycle to school, until he is 16 tell him NO!!!!
If I was a seasoned ride I might agree with you on the automatic. I'm from Canada and have NEVER ridden a motorcycle in my life until I came to SE Asia. An Aussie expat in Nha Trang, VN taught me. Also with the amount of traffic in PP and us being "rookie" riders (me and the kids), I think a twist n go would be better for the family. Maybe sometime in the future our next bike might be a standard.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

The mountain bikes that are around $150 to $160 are fairly clunky and bits will be worn out after about 12000km (I do about 400km per month so two and a half years for me), the main reason I buy them is that if it gets stolen I haven't lost that much, and the weight isn't that important on the flat.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic