ER visa extension with travel agent...fishy

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
wanderer7777
Expatriate
United States of America

ER visa extension with travel agent...fishy

Post by wanderer7777 »

Hi to all , maybe someone can give me some information.
Ive been here 3 yrs on ER visa . I'm well over 55 yrs old. Been using the same travel agent for the entire time . She knows me well, she is the owner. We get along nicely.I always do 6 month extensions. Never a problem.
Altho this time something was strange..
i went in last week 10 days before my visa expired to do the usual. She was friendly as usual.
I gave her my PP , a photo, and paid the fee. she gave me the usual receipt. ...and that was it.
I said don't you need my address? She said she had it.. and I didn't think of it at the time but she didn't ask for a screen shot or copy of my FPCS?
Now I am currently registered with my landlord.
. But the last one i gave to her 6 months ago expired. I called her the next day after realizing and said don't you need a copy of my FPCS to give to immigration as to get my extension? She said, ""don''t worry I took care of everything."" But wouldn't tell me how.

so maybe some more savvy and exp expats can tell me..

1. How did she manage to submit my extension without a copy FPCS ?
as I said I am currently registered, but doesnt she need that??

2. don't I have to sign the application?
'

Should I be concerned?

thanks
Bong Kri
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: ER visa extension with travel agent...fishy

Post by Bong Kri »

I wouldn't be overly concerned if you've used them before. I got a year business extension with no work permit, and no other documentation other than my passport and a picture. If you have the right contact or pay the right amount, it gets done.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

wanderer7777 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:36 am Hi to all , maybe someone can give me some information.
Ive been here 3 yrs on ER visa . I'm well over 55 yrs old. Been using the same travel agent for the entire time . She knows me well, she is the owner. We get along nicely.I always do 6 month extensions. Never a problem.
Altho this time something was strange..
i went in last week 10 days before my visa expired to do the usual. She was friendly as usual.
I gave her my PP , a photo, and paid the fee. she gave me the usual receipt. ...and that was it.
I said don't you need my address? She said she had it.. and I didn't think of it at the time but she didn't ask for a screen shot or copy of my FPCS?
Now I am currently registered with my landlord.
. But the last one i gave to her 6 months ago expired. I called her the next day after realizing and said don't you need a copy of my FPCS to give to immigration as to get my extension? She said, ""don''t worry I took care of everything."" But wouldn't tell me how.

so maybe some more savvy and exp expats can tell me..

1. How did she manage to submit my extension without a copy FPCS ?
as I said I am currently registered, but doesnt she need that??

2. don't I have to sign the application?
'

Should I be concerned?

thanks
All of this based on the false assumption that the system is functional.
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

No idea what you worry about.

If she needed it she would tell you. Either the guy she use don't care or she just scroll back on her phone to last time you did it to get the pic.

Just wait and collect the passport. The immigration get paid by her to issue the visa for you after all.
justanotherexpat
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by justanotherexpat »

My visa runs up in a few months. I've been doing the "business" visa since 2020 and I've been told by folks something about having to back pay for work permits and another guy told me that I won't be able to get another one without it.

Just wondering if anyone else has renewed a "business" visa without a work permit since this whole policy change thing happened.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

@wanderer7777 , the agent probably just added you to their registered FPCS account like many of them do, or maybe the DoI are finally starting to learn to rely on their system rather than the applicants needing to provide a screenshot, either way nothing to be concerned about, if the agent does need it from you they'll let you know.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

justanotherexpat wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:42 pm My visa runs up in a few months. I've been doing the "business" visa since 2020 and I've been told by folks something about having to back pay for work permits and another guy told me that I won't be able to get another one without it.

Just wondering if anyone else has renewed a "business" visa without a work permit since this whole policy change thing happened.
Not a policy change, just stricter enforcement of the policy. If you have never had a WP then you will need to get one in order to apply for a renewal of tour EB EOS, and yes you will be charged a retroactive fee of $100 for every year you have been in Cambodia on an E-type Visa or E-type Visa EOS without a WP. Details of the policy enforcement and changes below...

Changes to Visa Extensions of Stay with effect 17th October 2022.

- If you arrive with an E-type (Ordinary) Visa and want to apply for a 12 mth EB (Business) EOS, you are required to have a copy of your Work Permit card, Employment Letter and Companies Patent Tax License.

- If you don't have a Work Permit then you are only allowed to apply for a 6 mth EB EOS, you must have your Employement Letter and Patent Tax License.

- If you don't have an Employment Letter then you are only allowed to apply for a 3 month EP (Proposal) EOS which you can then change to an EB EOS once you have secured a Work Permit and Employment Letter with copy of the Patent Tax License.

- All subsequent EB EOS applications will require Work Permit, Employment Letter and Patent Tax License.

- Those legally married in Cambodia to a Cambodian Citizen, who do not work and aren't eligible for, or don't want, an ER EOS, they can still apply for the EB EOS based on marriage without the need to provide employment related supporting documentation including the WP. Different supporting documentation requirements apply.

- Those applying for an EB EOS as a non-working dependent spouse of their foreign husband/wife can still apply without the need to provide employment related supporting documentation including the WP. Different supporting documentation requirements apply.

- EG (General) EOS only available for 1 or 3 months, no more 6 month options.

- You can no longer convert from an EG EOS to any other EOS category in country.

Most of the above aren't actually policy changes, just stricter enforcement of the correct Immigration policy (Sub Decree 123) As always, let's see how it plays out.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

siliconlife wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:57 pm All of this based on the false assumption that the system is functional.
The FPCS system is indeed functional, I applied for my most recent EOS directly at the DoI Visa Office, they looked me up on the system and all my details were there, exactly as input on my wife's FPCS account, they didn't require me to provide a screenshot.
wanderer7777
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by wanderer7777 »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:47 am @wanderer7777 , the agent probably just added you to their registered FPCS account like many of them do, or maybe the DoI are finally starting to learn to rely on their system rather than the applicants needing to provide a screenshot, either way nothing to be concerned about, if the agent does need it from you they'll let you know.
yep you are right that is exactly what happened. I went there and she explained that is what she does.thanks.
wanderer7777
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by wanderer7777 »

Thanks to all . Appreciate it. I did go there and spoke with her and she showed me that she added me to her FPSC . She does it with many clients.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic