Helping an animal to cross the Rainbow Bridge

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Helping an animal to cross the Rainbow Bridge

Post by rozzieoz »

Sometimes being an animal lover means making some really tough choices.

I thought I would share this information if anyone else finds themselves in this situation.

There was a street cat living outside my apartment and for a long time he was doing really well, until he started going downhill badly.
I was feeding him every day but he stopped eating, was losing weight and looked really bad.
He obviously had serious problems as his back legs became lame and there's no way he could have taken care of himself anymore.

So I took him to VSL Veterinary Clinic yesterday, where he was euthanased.
I first went to the Khmer vet but they don't do it, and Animal Mama was closed for a couple of days.

VSL provide a really good discount for street cats, and all up it cost me $98 to have him put down and cremated. I opted not to collect the ashes.
I'm sure I could have found a slightly cheaper price but I didn't want the pool old guy to suffer anymore.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Helping an animal to cross the Rainbow Bridge

Post by xandreu »

Walking along the street with a friend late one night in PP a couple of years ago, we came across a tiny little baby kitten that wouldn't stop meowing / crying. It was all on it's own, I presume having been abandoned by its mother and it was clearly blind. I don't know much about cats, I'm not sure if it was blind because it wasn't old enough to have opened its eyes yet, or if it really was blind and that was why it had been abandoned by its mother. We really didn't have a clue what to do. Neither of us were in a position to take it home with us but we couldn't just leave it wandering around meowing / crying and bumping into everything. We briefly considered putting it out of its misery but soon realised neither of us had it in us to do that, so I'm ashamed to say it, but we just decided to leave it. We just couldn't think of anything else we could do for it.

I wouldn't call myself an animal lover per se, but it's human nature to try to help an animal in distress.

Just out of curiosity, what would you have done?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

That's a tough situation :( Newborn cats have a low rate of survival without their mother and she possibly abandoned him because there was something wrong with him.
I would have taken it, I am quite set up to deal with a tiny kitten but even then, chances of survival would have been low.

I would have taken it for a few days to make sure it could survive.
Then I'd get on some of the Facebook groups, there are several cat / pet owner groups in Phnom Penh and hopefully find a foster home at least.
I couldn't keep it long term with my 5 cats.

PAWS, Animal Mama and expat Facebook groups would be the first place to start.
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

Next time bring it to me please. I have an expats special $45 ea. or 4 for $100.
Stay classy na
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

David Gordon wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:35 am Next time bring it to me please. I have an expats special $45 ea. or 4 for $100.
Expats special for what?
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

nothing in David Gordon's positing history suggests qualified vet.
perhaps he would use the cat for bait or target practice or something.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

rozzieoz wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:12 am Sometimes being an animal lover means making some really tough choices.

I thought I would share this information if anyone else finds themselves in this situation.

There was a street cat living outside my apartment and for a long time he was doing really well, until he started going downhill badly.
I was feeding him every day but he stopped eating, was losing weight and looked really bad.
He obviously had serious problems as his back legs became lame and there's no way he could have taken care of himself anymore.

So I took him to VSL Veterinary Clinic yesterday, where he was euthanased.
I first went to the Khmer vet but they don't do it, and Animal Mama was closed for a couple of days.

VSL provide a really good discount for street cats, and all up it cost me $98 to have him put down and cremated. I opted not to collect the ashes.
I'm sure I could have found a slightly cheaper price but I didn't want the pool old guy to suffer anymore.
Sometimes euthanasia is the kindest option

I'd guess the cremation is the bulk of the expense
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

rozzieoz wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:25 am That's a tough situation :( Newborn cats have a low rate of survival without their mother and she possibly abandoned him because there was something wrong with him.
I would have taken it, I am quite set up to deal with a tiny kitten but even then, chances of survival would have been low.

I would have taken it for a few days to make sure it could survive.
Then I'd get on some of the Facebook groups, there are several cat / pet owner groups in Phnom Penh and hopefully find a foster home at least.
I couldn't keep it long term with my 5 cats.

PAWS, Animal Mama and expat Facebook groups would be the first place to start.
This is also a possible option https://ar-cambodia.com/
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Bluenose wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:19 pm This is also a possible option https://ar-cambodia.com/
Yes! Thank you :)
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:52 pm I'd guess the cremation is the bulk of the expense
That was $44, they offered to give him back to me afterwards but I rather let them deal with that part of it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic