Massive 900 Kilogram Drug Bust in Sihanoukville

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Massive 900 Kilogram Drug Bust in Sihanoukville

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, (Preah Sihanouk): Preah Sihanouk Provincial Gendarmerie launched an operation to crack down on large-scale drug trafficking on the afternoon of December 11, 2022, at a rental warehouse located in Group 9, Village 2, Sangkat 1, Sihanoukville. A senior military official said that during the crackdown, police found 34 bags of narcotics weighing a total of 884 kilograms.
Preah Sihanouk Provincial Gendarmerie Commander Brigadier General Heng Bunty said that the operation to crack down on this major drug trafficking case was under the direct command of General Sao Sokha, Deputy Commander of the Gendarmerie, and Mr. Kouch Chamroeun, Governor of Preah Sihanouk Province, under the coordination of Mr. Chan Darith, Deputy Prosecutor of Preah Sihanouk Provincial Court.
As a result, the officials conducted a search in a suspected warehouse in Sihanoukville that led to the discovery of nearly 900 kilograms of illegal drugs, which have now been deposited at the Sihanoukville Provincial Gendarmerie Command for further proceedings.

The authorities are now searching for the owners of the illegal drug haul.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Re: Massive 900 Kilogram Drug Bust in Sihanoukville

Post by Darkcel »

Talk about a TON of drugs
Londonmail
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Londonmail »

I wonder how much would be destroyed....
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia seizes massive amount of narcotics in seaside province raid
Source: Xinhua
2022-12-12 19:14:45
PHNOM PENH, Dec. 12 (Xinhua) -- Cambodian authorities have seized 884 kg narcotics in a single raid in the coastal province of Preah Sihanouk province, a provincial military police chief said on Monday.

Heng Bunty, chief of Preah Sihanouk Provincial Military Police, said the seizure was made during a raid on a rental warehouse in Sihanoukville on Sunday afternoon after an investigation for months.

"We found 34 bags of illicit drugs weighing up to 884 kg," he told Xinhua. "This is one of the largest drug seizures in the province."

Bunty declined to disclose if any drug suspects were arrested, saying that a further probe is still underway.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

There have been so many massive narcotics hauls in recent years that I have lost count. This seems like a record breaker though, or maybe I'm forgetting some?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I hope there will be some serious arrests made following this bust. And not just the arrest of some poor simple-minded idiot who was left minding the warehouse when the big guys got tipped off about the raid and left the scene.
:evil:
But, 900kgs of drugs is big business. I'm presuming that it's meth, and also that it was being stored in Sihanoiukville to be shipped abroad - to China for example. I'm speculating here, based on what seems to be the meth-trafficking route in SEA - Made in Myanmar, transits through Thailand, Laos or Cambodia, then leaves for HK, Chinese mainland or Taiwan, and ultimately may be sent on to Japan/S. Korea or Australia/NZ.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

P Sihanouk police seize nearly 900kg ketamine
Kim Sarom | Publication date 12 December 2022 | 21:35 ICT

Preah Sihanouk provincial Military Police are searching for the people behind a shipment of nearly 900kg of ketamine that was discovered in a rented property in village 2 of Sihanoukville’s commune 1.

Provincial Military Police anti-drug office director Long Kim Hour told The Post on December 12 that investigations were ongoing.

“We are exploring all possible leads and cultivating any intelligence sources that we can gather,” he said.

According to Kim Hour, the operation was carried out on the orders of National Military Police commander General Sao Sokha. It was led by provincial gendarmerie commander Heng Bunty, in collaboration with provincial governor Kuoch Chamroeun.

The crime scene fell under the jurisdiction of Chan Darith, deputy prosecutor of the provincial court.

Kim Hour said that officers were unable to locate anyone within the compound, but discovered 34 large packages of ketamine weighing a total of 884kg.

Authorities have so far been unable to identify the owner or leaseholder of the building.

Commune chief Chhit Sophat told The Post that he knew about the raid, but did not join the operation as the commune police forces had passed authority over to the provincial Military Police.

He said that a large concrete warehouse had been constructed on the site, and he believed it had been rented to a Chinese man.

“There was a small home, but it has been expanded into a warehouse,” he added.

Meas Vyrith, secretary general of the National Authority for Combating Drugs (NACD) of the Ministry of Interior, told The Post that he was aware that provincial forces had seized a large quantity of ketamine, but he was unsure if the drugs were imported or manufactured in the Kingdom. He understood that further research was being conducted.

“This is a significant bust. There have been similar cases in the past where criminal gangs have tried to use Cambodia as a transit destination for trafficking. What we need to do is establish the precise source of these drugs,” he said.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... g-ketamine

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Anchor Moy wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:44 pm I hope there will be some serious arrests made following this bust. And not just the arrest of some poor simple-minded idiot who was left minding the warehouse when the big guys got tipped off about the raid and left the scene.

I strongly advise against holding your breath.

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:05 am Authorities have so far been unable to identify the owner or leaseholder of the building.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Anchor Moy wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:44 pm I hope there will be some serious arrests made following this bust. And not just the arrest of some poor simple-minded idiot who was left minding the warehouse when the big guys got tipped off about the raid and left the scene.
:evil:
But, 900kgs of drugs is big business. I'm presuming that it's meth, and also that it was being stored in Sihanoiukville to be shipped abroad - to China for example. I'm speculating here, based on what seems to be the meth-trafficking route in SEA - Made in Myanmar, transits through Thailand, Laos or Cambodia, then leaves for HK, Chinese mainland or Taiwan, and ultimately may be sent on to Japan/S. Korea or Australia/NZ.
cliché

Hope 🤞🤞🤞. for the best but expect the worst ..
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

General Mackevili wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:24 am
I strongly advise against holding your breath.

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:05 am Authorities have so far been unable to identify the owner or leaseholder of the building.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic