Medical Insurance Refused - existing condition

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Medical Insurance Refused - existing condition

Post by orichá »

atst wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:53 pm Self insure , health insurance is a business not a charity, the premiums go up as you get older then eventually they won't insure you and years of premiums will be down the drain.
It's a gamble with the odds in thier favor.
That's for sure. If you could see the mansions and sports cars and yachts the motherfucking dicks who own insurance companies get to buy on your cash, bro.

BTW, what does "self-insure" mean? Save money?
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Expatenglish wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:35 am Yes there ARE Cambodian insurance companies but since I'm in litigation with one and the case is ongoing I'm not at liberty to name names. My KC would not be amused. And yes - it is a substantial sum. Smart cookies these KCs. Donkeys years ago I was a litigant acting in person in a Civil matter and up against a QC who was acting for the other party. Said QC was a young lady of shall we say ample proportions. Wouldn't have passed the Virgin Atlantic flight crew selection criteria. On enquiring of said lady the correct form of address for a lady QC we established it was Miss. In front of His Honor the presiding Circuit Judge she complained that I had written "bollocks" over her paper settlement offer. As I was paying her fees I advised her that she should lay off the minced pies at Christmas. She knew that she couldn't sue me in a Court for my comments under oath. After the hearing we were both back on the same train from Brighton County Court to Victoria. I was in First Class sipping a Gin and Tonic. Said QC was in second class eating a cheese and pickle sandwich with the 1000 GBP fee I had paid her. Nice work if you can get it. QED
Some supplementaries to QED:

Why were you paying the fees for the opposing counsel?

If your insurance company in based and regulated in Cambodia, along with you and your claim, what is the law governing the contract? If it is Cambodian law, why are you using a British KC?

What did the circuit judge say when you implied that the QC was fat and not to eat any mince pies?

How do you know she was eating a cheese and pickle sandwich when she was in another carriage?

£1000 for a QC to argue a case in court? Donkeys years ago indeed, are you sure it wasn't 1000 guineas?
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

orichá wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:38 am
atst wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:53 pm Self insure , health insurance is a business not a charity, the premiums go up as you get older then eventually they won't insure you and years of premiums will be down the drain.
It's a gamble with the odds in thier favor.
That's for sure. If you could see the mansions and sports cars and yachts the motherfucking dicks who own insurance companies get to buy on your cash, bro.

BTW, what does "self-insure" mean? Save money?
Self insured is getting a quote from a health insurance company and instead of paying the premiums to them you stick it in a separate bank account of your own, easier said than done, set and forget but the temptation to, not add every month or spend it is hard to resist.
You need to have the mindset that you've paid the insurance company and the money has gone to them not to yourself, eg set and forget
Do this for ten years and see how much you have not the insurance company.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

It’s a gamble that nothing will happen to you at all in the ten plus years you are building your premium. It’s also a gamble that whatever happens won’t eat all of your savings.

Insurance is a sure thing. After the probation period, the company pays out according to what’s in the contract.

And yes, insurance companies do go broke because of poor underwriting or other unforeseen circumstances.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:40 pm It’s a gamble that nothing will happen to you at all in the ten plus years you are building your premium. It’s also a gamble that whatever happens won’t eat all of your savings.

Insurance is a sure thing. After the probation period, the company pays out according to what’s in the contract.

And yes, insurance companies do go broke because of poor underwriting or other unforeseen circumstances.
You seem to forget about when they don't pay your claim, for any number of fine details. Insurance a sure thing, was that a joke
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

Insurance companies play on your FUD* to sell you some piece of mind in a monthly premium. Which includes some of remarks above, that you can 'self-insure' but might not yet have saved enough for that unplanned procedure in the future.

Another nice thing for them is that they do have all stats and numbers. So they can define beforehand the profits they'd like to make coming year and set premiums accordingly or raise next year to make up for any losses/costs they did not calculate in.

* Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Flexxman wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:30 pm Insurance companies play on your FUD* to sell you some piece of mind in a monthly premium. Which includes some of remarks above, that you can 'self-insure' but might not yet have saved enough for that unplanned procedure in the future.

Another nice thing for them is that they do have all stats and numbers. So they can define beforehand the profits they'd like to make coming year and set premiums accordingly or raise next year to make up for any losses/costs they did not calculate in.

* Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt
You may need your money before you save enough but at least you'll have a portion on the amount needed unlike when your claim is refused as opp has stated
What do you do then you can't get your premiums back?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Expatenglish.

What is your stake in this situation? In the initial post, it appears that you are canvassing for folks in a similar situation to your own, and with difficulties getting a claim settled. In the next, there’s some hard advice forthcoming on how to deal with the insurance companies, and anecdotes of some legal jousting.

Are you complaining about some immoral insurance behaviour, or moving towards something else?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:40 pm Insurance is a sure thing. After the probation period, the company pays out according to what’s in the contract.
I wouldn’t describe insurance as a sure thing. I had a long battle with an insurance company many years ago- grubby, nasty, devious and underhand. They lost, in the end. Cost them a fortune. Nearly ruined us. They made it pretty clear in the process that there were few things they wouldn’t try by way of avoiding admitting liability.
Insurance is, to my mind, a piece of peace of mind. But you won’t know how good it is until you actually claim. By which point it’s a bit late. Fortunately, my medical insurance claim (only one) actually went very well. Which is just as well, as it was a fairly high jump from the Royal Phnom Penh, otherwise.

As to self insuring. If I’m not mistaken, there is a legal position regarding this, although it may vary in interpretation across borders (I’m sure the legal minds might be able to put me straight). It’s not the same as simply keeping the money in the bank that would otherwise be spent on premiums.
To self insure, you would need capital or funds ‘in the bank’ to cover a liability. Some companies and entities actually do this- either because they can’t get the cover, or it makes better financial sense.
Expatenglish
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Expatenglish »

To answer some previous questions.
1000 pounds was par for the course for a QC to leave her chambers in Central London and jump on the train to do a days work in Brighton. Naturally she had done some preparation before hand - all billed in 6 minute slots.
The Circuit Judge advised me that my comments relating to her refraining from the pies, whilst festive in accord with the spirit of Christmas, were irrelevant to the legal arguments and could I stick to the point.
To reach her second class carriage she had to walk past my first class carriage via the station buffet clutching her pies and sandwiches. After all, I had given her a hard time and comfort eating was her recovery strategy which differed from my comfort drinking. No doubt there were more sandwiches and pies back in her chambers. The train company knew me well and always crushed ice for me before the train departed to compliment the Gordons and Schweppes in a highball tumbler with a slice of lemon. The railway tracks at Three Bridges always shook the train which was the cue for the attendant to serve me a second double. On arrival at Victoria a black cab would whisk me of to the Clermont Club - the last place Lord Lucan was seen alive.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic