Help choosing a University subject.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Re: Help choosing a University subject.

Post by juansweetpotato »

Don't call Cambodia that Samouth. Call it a developing country or perhaps an LDC. Yep, GDP per person is around 800-1000 if you believe the UN data in the countryside, and 3000 in PP.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Samouth wrote:
General Mackevili wrote:
phuketrichard wrote: my daughter makes double that and she is only 21 and it will only go up as she gets her degree ( s)
She's NOT working in Cambodia though. :facepalm:
I actually noticed this since he posted it :), but didn't bother to reply as it seemed like he doesn't really know about Cambodia. If Cambodians make the same amount Americans do, it wouldn't have been called third world country. Our GDP (nominal) per capita is about 1k or something. Such a poor analogy. :facepalm:
but didn't bother to reply as it seemed like he doesn't really know about Cambodia.

Ur really starting to irritate me
I first visited Cambodia before u were walking and lived there for a year, have had a Cambodian gf for over 6 years an go back to the country at least twice a year an most likely have seen more of the country than you. Do u seriously think cause u were born there u know so much more than others??
My eldest daughter is starting Uni in Phnom Penh and we are looking for a subject that would give her the best chance of a decent job when she completes her studies.
JUST cause ur educated in Cambodia does not mean u have to work there all ur fucking life does it???
plus she could start her education in Cambodia and transfer to another school/country for higher/better education.

My point was taken out of context. and was about teaching English as a low income job for a Cambodian.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Ur really starting to irritate me
Well, this is a forum right ? So everyone is entitled to speak out and share their ideas. I am not baiting you. I just feel that you have made an unfair analogy about Cambodia and US. That's why i put my input to urge to reconsider it. You actually can't compare apple and orange.

PS, at least i didn't write about you on K440. :)
I first visited Cambodia before u were walking and lived there for a year, have had a Cambodian gf for over 6 years an go back to the country at least twice a year an most likely have seen more of the country than you.
Don't get me wrong, before UNTAC came to Cambodia in 1992. Cambodia was a communist country. The door wasn't open yet. Not many tourists came to visit Cambodia at that time. Literally I was born in 1992 and it took me only one year to be able to walk. So if you came to Cambodia any time after 1994 i already knew how to walk. You have just lived here for one year and claimed to know everything about the country. :facepalm:
Ok you have a khmer girlfriend and i wondered what were the things you learned from her about Cambodia. Since you said she got married in very young age 16 years old or something, i assumed that she might not even finish high school. I don't think she could teach you much about the country. No doubt, her English level might not even enable her to explain about complicated things to you. Do you speak fluent khmer BTW ?
Do u seriously think cause u were born there u know so much more than others??
i wouldn't think or claim that . However, i was born here and lived here my entire life, needless to say, i experienced Cambodia more than you. You can learn about Cambodia by reading book or talking to people, but it doesn't really like experiencing it in real life.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i made NO ANALOGY abut US to Cambodia as what gm quoted was taken out of context!!

I was first in Cambodia in 1988 an made more than a few trips, plus know lots of people that went into Cambodia before UNTAC>
NEVER EVER claimed to know everything about your country, Your the one that always seems to stick ur $ 02 in every thread. NOT ME

My gf was married at 16 yes she did not complete hs cause she dd not have lucky life like yours, she divorced at 17

R u saying people without education cant teach anyone about their country ? MY GOD!
Dont assume anything in life cause u only make an ass out of u an me

Currently she teaches at a pre school here in Phuket

As to experiencing it in real life, supported by mom an dad, get back to me in 20 years. LOL

Congratulations on being born there, best of luck to you
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

General Mackevili wrote:
phuketrichard wrote: my daughter makes double that and she is only 21 and it will only go up as she gets her degree ( s)
She's NOT working in Cambodia though. :facepalm:
phuketrichard wrote:i made NO ANALOGY abut US to Cambodia as what gm quoted was taken out of context!!
Um, someone mentioned wages in Cambodia, and you said your daughter makes more than that.

You're comparing wages in Cambodia with wages in the west.

That's comparing apples and durians.

What exactly do you think I took out of context? :facepalm:

Just when I think your comprehension skills can't get any worse...
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

fuck; u got it in for me or what:::

this is the WHOLE statement;
Talking about getting a degree in english

A teaching degree or only learning english does not pay especially in Cambodia for a khmer!
$1,1-500 /month ( for an expat so 1/3rd for a local) ) for teaching is not a very good wage

my daughter makes double that and she is only 21 and it will only go up as she gets her degree ( s)

GOT IT :plus1: :plus1:
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Yes, got it. But, how much would your daughter be earning if she was in Thailand?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Username Taken wrote:Yes, got it. But, how much would your daughter be earning if she was in Thailand?
LOOK someone said get a degree teaching english
I said
it dont pay in Cambodia for a Khmer to teach english :facepalm:

As to my daughter
If she was a vet tech here she would earn about 35,000 baht/month or (around $1,050)
AS A THAI since she is half thai

about same as a farang english teacher make teaching in a government school and double what a thai would make teaching
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

phuketrichard wrote:
Username Taken wrote:Yes, got it. But, how much would your daughter be earning if she was in Thailand?
LOOK someone said get a degree teaching english
I said
it dont pay in Cambodia for a Khmer to teach english :facepalm:

As to my daughter
If she was a vet tech here she would earn about 35,000 baht/month or (around $1,050)
AS A THAI since she is half thai

about same as a farang english teacher make teaching in a government school and double what a thai would make teaching
So when you said "my daughter makes double that" you weren't talking about what she makes right now in the West, you're talking about what she COULD be making in Thailand?

:facepalm:

Sounds like you might be comparing apples and durians AND jackfruit.

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

phuketrichard wrote: $1,1-500 /month
And what the hell is this? It's like you're typing gibberish, then you think I'm trying to take what you said out of context.

Was it ever IN context in the first place so that I could have taken it out of?

Is this some British way of formatting numbers that I haven't come across yet?

It's like you're typing with your elbows or something, and lost your Shift Key too.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic