Cheap flights

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cheap flights

Post by Kammekor »

Kangaruchi wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:07 pm
Kammekor wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:11 pm
Kangaruchi wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:09 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:00 am have read recently about Air aisa's deal;
seems more than a few signed up and when they tried to use it, even looking at flights months ahead, no seats available.
Any sources for the above?
I was contemplating it for next year as intend doing a few flights, fully aware that would have to be flexible on dates, but the above doesn't inspire me.
Cheers
Thx for that, while I am prepared to be flexible, that's beyond a joke.
Not going to take the risk based on the above.
Cheers
Other months are better (of course) with available flights to DMK almost every other day in May and September but this means you have to book all well in advance and you end up with a tight schedule well.ahead. About the opposite of why this could be an interesting deal.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

Kangaruchi wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:44 pm :jerk: Just a heads up for anyone contemplating a lot of flights in the next year, & can tolerate budget airlines.
Air Asia has a deal going for members called Super+, there are 2 levels valid for 1 year.

Super+lite @ $199USD for travel within Asia

Super+Premium @ $599USD
which includes other overseas destinations.

Caveat Emptor read the terms and conditions, from a bit of a search using the mobile app it would appear you would need to be flexible on dates and be aware that it does not cover peak travel periods.
Without purchasing it I found that using Phnom Penh as the departure point it only gave me Malaysia and Thailand as destinations, if I went to either of those as the departure point then more international destinations appeared.

The email I got alerting me said the offer expires on 11 December, nothing on the website indicated the same.

FYI
I was looking at this as well, seems more like a con, i wonder how many flights you would need to take to break even? in order to get from india to thailand id have to buy the $599 priced option.
Josh_76
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Josh_76 »

I figure you will have to give them at least the same amount again, especially if checking luggage, if you wish to get your money's worth.

With the public's head start on sales and the black out periods, this is basically a 2nd class type of voucher/fight over the left overs.
Kangaruchi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kangaruchi »

A couple of points regarding this program.

I have been watching flight prices over the last few months and they are continually rising.
In Aug/September I flew Vietjet, Air Asia PNH, BKK, KBV return, on the out legs both flights full, on the return legs 2 seats vacant & I imagine at this time of year that trend will continue until more flights added so not that surprising a lack of available seats factoring existing Super+ members who have booked in advance during the Dec-Jan period.

A side note, on both the out flights the wheels had just left the tarmac at the scheduled departure time, so don't be late for the ride 😊

As for getting value for the $599USD version it would only take 1 long haul flight even after adding in all the extra charges to recoup the expenditure on the program, based on current fares.

As far as long haul flights the destination available might not be where you want to arrive, eg Australia the only destination I found was Sydney which is fine if that's where you want to arrive, not great if you want to arrive in Perth.

I found it difficult to really evaluate the program satisfactorily, PNH as the departure point only gave me BKK & KUL as destinations, when I used KUL as the departure point I managed 2 screens of data b4 app closed the search, not endearing 😕🙄

Summing-up if you can find the flight you want and are prepared to book well in advance probably worth it, but that's not what I, & I suspect most of you, want.

I have in the past by being flexible and religiously watching flight prices generally managed to get full service flights for around or in 1 case half the price of budget flights, so excuse the pun, I am just going to "wing it" 😁😁
Josh_76
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Josh_76 »

Kangaruchi wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:59 pm
As for getting value for the $599USD version it would only take 1 long haul flight even after adding in all the extra charges to recoup the expenditure on the program, based on current fares.
Just one example to prove that's likely not the case:

KUL - KIX in November, 2 weeks, Tue - Tue.
Ticket price $578 with Value Pack each way:

Fare, taxes and fees
1x Adult241.23 USD
1x Passenger Service Charge11.86 USD
1x Regulatory Service Charge0.24 USD
1x Fuel Surcharge14.00 USD
1x Malaysia Departure Levy1.90 USD
1x Advance Passenger Processing Service0.95 USD
1x International Arrival and Departure Fees (Thailand)0.85 USD

Fare, taxes and fees
1x Adult172.73 USD
1x Airport Tax27.28 USD
1x International Tourist Tax9.25 USD
Add-ons

You would have saved $413 as the breakdown shows but have already spent an additional $165, pushing your break even goal further away. It would likely take at least two flights in an airline that's a pain for long haul. In this case, it would require 3 legs to get you to Japan.
Kangaruchi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kangaruchi »

Josh_76 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:49 am
Kangaruchi wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:59 pm
Just one example to prove that's likely not the case:

KUL - KIX in November, 2 weeks, Tue - Tue.
Ticket price $578 with Value Pack each way:

Fare, taxes and fees
1x Adult241.23 USD
1x Passenger Service Charge11.86 USD
1x Regulatory Service Charge0.24 USD
1x Fuel Surcharge14.00 USD
1x Malaysia Departure Levy1.90 USD
1x Advance Passenger Processing Service0.95 USD
1x International Arrival and Departure Fees (Thailand)0.85 USD

Fare, taxes and fees
1x Adult172.73 USD
1x Airport Tax27.28 USD
1x International Tourist Tax9.25 USD
Add-ons

You would have saved $413 as the breakdown shows but have already spent an additional $165, pushing your break even goal further away. It would likely take at least two flights in an airline that's a pain for long haul. In this case, it would require 3 legs to get you to Japan.
OK, as this site is Cambodian centric and the vast majority of long haul flights are not direct can you run the above scenario again with PNH as the departure point, I tried but have been having trouble with the Air Asia site. The indications I have for longer flights is it's break even or better.
The other point is that anyone considering program would only do so if planning multiple flights, a mix of long and short haul.
As I said before as a solo flyer with a degree of flexibility it's not for me, I'm just going to "Wing it"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic